by those Mercs that have pulled the restrictor this year. Does that mean

that the records broken by the unrestricted Mercs this year will take the

place of those set close to 20 yrs. ago, and that will be it, or will those

records be frozen.

My take on it is that given that no definitive research data was given at

the time of the national meeting decision was made about this class, no

records should be set and no HOC points should be given this year. Also, I

think an * should be added to any National champ or High point champ that

shall take either or both of those titles in the year of 2005. Hopefully, some

people will agree with me on this!

Matt Gallagher
    58J
    sigpic

Matt,
    You stirred up a couple of questions for me with this;
    -Has a past precident ever been set? (There are past records that have been made by equipment that wasn't the same technically as the stuff we run today.)
    -What other tech changes should, would or shouldn't affect the individual class records?
    -Should we have some more classes that vary by a slight engine change so that we can get less quality boat racing in a longer program day?
    -Is that why we have so many A classes and Yamato classes?
    -Here is the can opener... You got the can of worms?
    To me parody and fairness is always going to be a problem...everyone has a different agenda... but a problem that can be delt with if we can all look at the big picture and place quality races and racing first.
    Thanks,
    Rollo

Comment

Matt I'm with you on the lack of data given to the SORC by the Merc teams. I went through the testing with the Yamato and gave it to the chairman for review. I was a little bummed when this was voted on in Atlanta with out any data given my the Merc teams. I think we as racers need to demand that data be given before any changes accure or voting on any issue pertaining to slowing down or speeding up any class configuration. Lets face it as we go forward with the new D motor options and the Hot Rod J,A,B this is the only fair way for all the competitors in these classes to see that actual data. And be reviewed and then voted on before we make any changes. I think last year the 25 class was as fair as it could have been. Watching the nationals tapes it looked to my like Brian Rodes was the fasted boat there and could have easily won with a little better start. Anyway lets see who does what at the winter nationals and good luck to you and Dewey. I will be there rooting for you guys so lets see some super driving and show everyone that's were it's at when we talk about National Champions. P.S. Ryan Runne will be my new pilot of the Pink Panther now that he turned 21 stayed out of jail and is much more mature now. Mike
      mike ross

Comment

Mike

Regretably, I am not going to make to either the summer or winter nationals. My priorities this year have been a bit diverted away from racing. However, I will be at the Marathons and will looking throughout the year for a ride. We will see what happens this year in 25R. As for Ryan, I had a tough time catching him in Brad Walkers 25, I can't wait to see him in the panther. Good luck to you and Dewey this year, and hope to see you both soon.

Rollo-
        I think we should have as many motors that you want in a class, some faster than others. It is just a matter of combinations(boat,motor,prop,driver,start) that determine how fast you are and whether or not you can win.You can have the slowest motor in the class and still win. My point with the records is that we have two record setting national courses this year and I have a feeling given the new developements at the end last year in 25 with the Yamatos and the pulling of the restrictor in the Mercs there will be records broken without any recognition to the fact that the old records were set with restricted Mercs. Freeze the old ones and start a new set of records next year.

Matt Gallagher
        58J
        sigpic

Comment

I agree . . .

Records should be frozen when a tech change alters the overall speed of boats in the defined class. This should occur if the new tech rules make the boats faster or slower.`

I'm having trouble with the asumption that Ryan being 21 automatically makes him more mature. If so, what we will do for after sundown pit excitement?
          carpetbagger

Comment

Matt and Mike

Its a shame they had to mess with the rules when the class was making a nice comeback here in the East. We had 11 boats at our divisionals and not a one was Merc powered.
            Seems like it was a personal agenda of one person who knew it would not float if put up for a vote. Pay attention at election time.
            Lou Letwenski

Comment

Originally posted by No Smoke 820
              Its a shame they had to mess with the rules when the class was making a nice comeback here in the East. We had 11 boats at our divisionals and not a one was Merc powered.
              Why not pull the restrictors from the Yamatos and call it CSR?

Where do "frozen" records go? I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle to freeze them. Esp. if the restrictors are revisited every couple years, e.g., when the Hot Rod 20 c.i. goes into production. (I'm just assuming here....... I might be way off base. Help!)

Best,

Mike Hauenstein
              hauenstein outboard team
              186-W * 28-C * 4-T * C-101

Comment

Any news on how the mercs. faired in Bakersfield?

Comment

25 records??

anyone broken kilos yet....wher some of oldest records in book...me and bro broke 25 hyd record ..that no one touched for years...and lots tried ..harder than seems...cheyney

Comment

[QUOTE=Haüenstein]Why not pull the restrictors from the Yamatos and call it CSR?

Dont forget the 70lbs of lead/ego to go with that statement..........
                    nightmoves

Comment

A Merc ran 2nd to J. Michael Kelly's 302 at Bakersfield

Comment

Restrictors

I have some inside information and its telling me that once the 20 cc hot rod is being made and in full production the merc and the Yamatos will be slowed down to keep the class competitive for all. correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought competition was why people raced. Thats the nice thing about the hot rods anyone can win on any given weekend.

C.Hagerl
                        Chris
                        8M in BSR or 8 in 45
                        "Here’s the thing that makes life so interesting the theory of evolution states that only the strong survives but the theory of competition says just because they are strong doesn’t mean they can’t get their asses kicked don’t surprised if somebody decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling uncle and then suddenly the old saying goes we’ve got ourselves a game...."

Comment

Working...
                        X