In Memory of Gene Apel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memory of Gene Apel

It is with a heavy heart that I inform our community of the loss of one of racing's best loved boat builders, racer, and friend. Gene Apel passed away yesterday afternoon at the age of 83. The sorrow in everyone's heart will be felt across this country. As many know Gene passed on the family legacy of boat building to one of his son's and that legacy lives on today. He was much loved by everyone who had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know him. He will be greatly missed. He is survived by his beautiful wife Joanne Apel, his children Nick, Christine, Ellen, Jim, and Cindy, and his many grandchildren and great grandchildren.

There will be another posting about the services for those who are able to and wish to attend.

Jim, I am deeply sorry for your loss. Your dad and I were good friends and had many great times racing and traveling to races together. My heart goes out to you and mom and sisters.
    Steve

Comment

Gosh,this is sad news. Gene, Steve and I traveled all over for several years going to Title Series, national and world championship races. We regretted it when his health didn't permit him to travel with us. I was the beneficiary of Gene and Joanne's hospitality many times when testing our boats near his home. My sincere condolences to the family.
      RWD

Comment

Jim and Family
        I am really sorry to hear about your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Mike & Jodi
        Sattler Racing R-15
        350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
        TEAM VRP
        The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

We have lost another great one from the ranks of boat racing's finest. Very sad to hear of your Dad passing. He will be missed very much. He gave us many great memories plus several stern what-fors I'll never forget. I guess there is one more up on Lake Paradise, as Gene East so aptly puts it, waiting for the five minute gun. I asked Gene East about that and he said there is a five minute gun because they aren't in as big of a hurry on Lake Paradise. Makes sense to me........... Stay in touch and please let us know if we can be of help.
          Charley, Mariann, Chas, & Janna Lynn Bradley

Comment

The family thanks you for all of your posts.
            If you wish to send your condolences to Joanne Apel, the address is
            12004 Burton St.
            Clermont, FL. 34711
            Gene's services will be at
            Woodlawn Memorial Park and Funeral Home
            400 Woodlawn Cemetery Rd
            407-293-1361
            In Gotha, just off of HWY 50
            Services will be Tuesday Mar. 8th at 10:00 AM
            Viewing will be on Monday evening between 6 and 8 PM in the chapel
            If you need directions to the cemetery you can get a detailed map on mapquest.
            Again thank you and god bless,
            The Apel Family
            Last edited by Jim Apel; 03-06-2005, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Gene Apel

Jim, I am very sorry to hear of your dads passing. Your dad and my dad were very close for many many years and traveledtogether to many boat races. He was a gentle giant. My mom just recently passed away before Christmas so I know how it hurts. Tell your mom we are very sorry. POP,TOM, AND TIM SMALL

Comment

Gene Apel

Jim,
                Condolences to your family. Its very hard to lose a parent. When it happens, you realize that your armor is very thin. May your dad rest in peace.
                Bill Kurps

Comment

Sorry . . .

Condolences, Jim, to you and your family. Parents are your safe harbor anchor, and when they're gone you become the safe harbor anchor. May you never drift . . .
                  carpetbagger

Comment

The Apel Family

Jim,
                    Just heard the sad news last night. Gene's sense of humor will be missed. I feel so lucky to have been part of your family's race legend. Will see you Thursday in Ocoee. Give me a call. Love to your mother and family. White Lightning lives on!

Joe (3W)

Comment

Jim,
                      Sorry to hear the sad newsIt is a sad time for all boat racers.
                      Augustine Racing

Comment

Gene Apel was a "gentle giant" and always a gentleman. I have thought of him often over the years. The main memory that has always stuck in my mind was a scene at Leesburg when his son in law flipped in in his first race.. I still have the photo of Gene and his daughter watching the scene from the beach.
                        Hoz

Comment

Working...
                        X