need help with plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with plugs

what plug should run in a omc 25 mod motor? when I got the motor it had champ j86y plugs but I cant find those,any suggestions. thanks mike

Obsolete spark plugs

The Champion J-86Y plug has not been produced in many years. The closest equivalent currently is the NGK R5670-8. The reach and heat range are the same. The main difference is the side electrode. They are available at NAPA for about $1.35 each. We did a lot of digging to find these and then found them readily available and cheap.

Comment

thanks

thats great thanks for the help. mike

Comment

The ACCEL 132 is the only other direct replacement for the J86Y besides the R5670-8; while I to would prefer the NGK, the ACCEL is a suitable performance alternative.
        Ken Kaiser
        Racing Member, Columbia Outboard Racing Association

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced"
        Frank Zappa

Comment

CHAMPION J86Y RACING PLUGS FOR OMC B-1s

I sold a whole lot of those just last fall to a number of racers and I still might have some left. They were/are brand new and boxed as I recall. I will have a chance to check for they sometime early this week and I will post what I have that are surplus to my needs. I have prices on the boxes to look up as well so I won't quote them here until I see what I was selling them for. The Champion sparkplugs I have are from the days they actually made good plugs! What ever happened to them since then??

Comment

still looking

I could not find the ngk plubs at napa are you sure thats the # it did not show on there system.
            anzani, let me know on the champions thanks
            I will check on the accel 132 is that the only number on the plug 132??
            any other plugs that may work?? thanks mike

Comment

NGK V-Power Plug

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cr...CrossWarning=1 This will tell you what you need to know

Comment

good plug number!

I'm sorry if the NAPA that you went to is staffed by lazy SOB's. My local store went one step further, found these in quantity at the nearest NAPA warehouse and ordered them in. I bought two boxes, had them next day. They can find these at any warehouse in the country and order them for you.

Comment

Quality Help

Were your local NAPA dorks able to look a little harder for you and find these? Otherwise you can order them online.

Comment

Mike,

Not sure if this helps but I'm running B-8S NGK.

MY motors are 70-76 with points and external coils.

Timing .340-.350 BTDC. this is high so........Watch plugs every run till happy with plug color/jetting. I like to see dark brown.

Try stock jet--.072. I'm up to a .076 in one motor.--- Low speed needle 2 1/2--3 turns (prevents BOG in corners).

Also check the case area below carb for cracks. There is a little round boss / nipple that is a weak point on these motors. Recommend light sandblast or rough-up with 80 grit and reinforse with automotive seam sealer / epoxy that uses a hardner to cure.

No problem running if cracked. But you will have a air leak and bottom cyl will run lean / melt piston deflector at the timing above.

Lost one of my Morris built motors to that last year. No reinforsement / sealer and it cracked / leaked while a friend was running it last year. ----(No prob. GENE!)

P.S. Gene---------CONGRATS on region 6 High Points !!!!

Just my ex-sperience!

19P -----Mike, hope to see ya out there!!!----IN MY WAKE!
                    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 07-30-2011, 05:25 AM.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                    X