Sad news from Region 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news from Region 4

We've just learned that Norman F. Brewington, a long time boat racer in Region 4, died yesterday, February 23, of a heart attack. A service will be held on Saturday at 1:00 PM at the Lighthouse Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Instead of flowers, donations in his memory may be sent to the Heart Foundation.
    Norman's wife, Betty, can be reached at (919)933-8209. Please keep her in your warm thoughts at this difficult time.

Stormin Norman left an indellible mark on the sport. Outrageous, funny, profane with a fierce love of 20-H's, camel's, bourbon and roun' chine runabouts from BU's to Jersey skiffs, Norm outraced and outraged many of us.
    My memories of Norm will be forever fond. My bail bondsman may have to retire.

Craig
    broccoli

Comment

I remember Norm

I remember Norm from when I raced in the mid '70's. I only recall him running one class - BSR. I watched in awe as he cut around turns in a round-chine boat like it was nothing. Most times he had the only round-chine on the course. He and Doug Temple were usually battling for 1st place, trading off wins heat-to-heat and race-to-race.

By the time I acquired a BSR and Merc 20H in late '75 I made sure >>NOT<< to get a round-chine because I thought it was too hard to drive despite the fact that Norm made it look easy. And I figured that if I had a round chine runabout just like Norm, I would never be able to beat him.

I wish I had a picture of Norm to share with everyone but I don't.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
      72@E
      Former Boat Racer
      21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
      20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Norm Brewington

Originally posted by Check-book
        We've just learned that Norman F. Brewington, a long time boat racer in Region 4, died yesterday, February 23, of a heart attack. A service will be held on Saturday at 1:00 PM at the Lighthouse Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Instead of flowers, donations in his memory may be sent to the Heart Foundation.
        Norman's wife, Betty, can be reached at (919)933-8209. Please keep her in your warm thoughts at this difficult time.
        I just learned of the passing of an old friend, Norm Brewington. Another old friend, Tom Barrett passed on the sad news. I first met Norm in 1965/66 at the SORC Nationals in Essex, Md. I was 16 years old. Norm was piloting the "Bushwacker" .He was one of a kind. No matter where you were or who you were with , if Norm didn't make everyone laugh he at least embarrassed them. Favorite drink,E.T. and water. I could think of many quotes from the late Norm but this site wouldn't allow. May Norm go to the eternal boat race in the sky.

Comment

Norm Brewington - a legend

When I got into racing in the early 80s the name Norm Brewington had acheived legend status. It was several years before I met him when he visited our annual race in Camden, NC. I recall Norm's big smile and laughter. Later I saw him and his Jersey Skiff at an inboard race. Hey, I reckon a Jersey Skiff is close to a round chine runabout.

Norm, you were a legend in your own time. Peace . . .
          carpetbagger

Comment

From Norm's Family: Thank you all!

I am David Austin, Norm's oldest son. I raced with Norm on the Jersey Skiff and also raced B stock Hydros.

Thank you all for your Wonderful Thoughts and Memories of Norm. This is a sad time for all of us. My mom and I logged on to your website and read the postings. I want to tell you it made the whole family smile and remember the great times when Norm was racing. There are no real words to express how good it made us feel, but from the bottom of our hearts we thank you.

The Family of Norm:

Betty Brewington
            David Austin
            Ricky Austin and Family
            Last edited by David Austin; 02-28-2005, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Remember This One?

Hey David,

Do you remember this from Camden?
              Attached Files

Comment

If the shoe fits...

David,

In 1974 were you about 14 or 15 years old with "hippie" hair? And was your very first SO race in ASR (or ASH)?

If these facts fit, then I was at your very first race and I remember you too.

It's strange what you can remember (and forget) after 30 years...
                @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                72@E
                Former Boat Racer
                21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Norman Brewington

Can anyone give me Normans address as I would like to mail the family a letter. I met Norman in the mid 1960s at a race in my home town of Weems, Va. He help inspired me to enter boat racing. I did this in the OPC catagory and enjoyed 15 years as one of the best times of my life. Thanks to Norman. My e mail is nwlumpkin@yahoo.com.
                  Ray
                  ray lumpkin

Comment

In Response to latest postings:

Hey guys,

First to Marc Johnson:
                    Marc - yes, I remember Camden and the Nasty 9. That was the first trailer Norm and I had. That picture sure brought back some memories. Thank you.

Second to Mark Richie:
                    Mark - I the race, but I was 20 and I met a lot of people that knew Norm. Yeah I looked young, but 30 years is a long time. Thanks remembering.

Third to Ray Lumpkin:
                    Hey Ray. Yes I can give you Mom's address. Thanks for asking.

Betty Brewington
                    One Golden Pond
                    Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Email:
                    onegoldenpond@yahoo.com

My Address and Phone:

David Austin
                    76 Sue Mintz Lane
                    Sanford, NC 27330
                    919-258-3628

Email:
                    lineman@alltel.net

On March 17th Norm would have been 68. We sure miss him.
                    Thanks to all for remembering Norm... As long is he is remembered his legend will live on........

David "The Weed" Austin

I got the nickname Weed Hopper when I started with CP&L in 73' and Norm shortened it to " The Weed"
                    Last edited by David Austin; 03-14-2005, 04:54 PM.

Comment

If anyone has pictures of Norm, the boats or me, it would be great if you could post them. I miss him every day. My wife and talk about him often. I would like to show her some of the pictures from back then. A bunch of mine got damaged.

Also my email has changed.

lineman@windstream.net

Comment

Big norm

Norman Brewington & The Nasty 9 Racin' Gang True legends! I bought my best MK15 "A-pumper" from Norm. Norm had friends everywhere. The MK15 came beautifully water/bead blasted on every exterior surface. A thing of beauty. Norm's friend in the town sewer department did the work for him. Had many great laughs with Norm, Ernie Fanslau and Dave Rode, the complete NASTY NINE.
                        Norm once told me that when he dies he wants to be put in a BU, set on fire and launched into the sunset. I salute him as he goes off into the sunset.
                        Phil Doerle
                        !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Nasty nine....................

Stormin Norman will always be a fixture in the South!!! I remember Admiral Wierd..aka Tommy Barrett named his German Shepard "Norman" after our wild and crazy friend!!

Keeping up with Norm was tough. He was high octane 24/7!!

Our condolences.

The D'Agostino's

Comment

David, not sure but believe I ended up with the old trailer at one time-used it to haul my Yamatos and Pugh Hydros but painted it yellow-still have pictures of it somewhere----You need to call me as we are only about 30 miles apart I am still in Hope Mills---- Fred Tyson cell 910-818-0138 home 910-424-4158 oh yeah watch out for the Snow Snake

Comment

Working...
                            X