Need promo video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need promo video

I have made the following request to APBA HQ and thought it might help to air it out on HR. I need a promotional video on dvd to use in fund raising and recruitment presentations. It should be based on stock/mod outboard since that is the entry level platform. I am motivated to try some presentations for our Chamber of Commerce, Boy Scouts, HighSchool and tech school clubs, and anywhere else I can get an audience. My short term goal is to do one ,or more presentations at Ft Drum, a large army base mere minutes from our Crystal lake race site. There are many thousands of soldiers and families who need more recreational opportunities.

If such a video exists, I need a copy. If it doesn't exist, it is long past due as a tool for clubs such as ours.

I think APBA and its members will find all the debate about parity and Sidewinders and motors very anti-climatic if something is not done soon to stop the erosion of member numbers. I am sure there are far too many clubs like ours....4 or 5 guys trying to pay for and stage an event. Our club and our race could very easily disappear.

I have some experience doing the sort of presentations which I think will help. I can't force folks to come to our race and make my pitch for support and participation. But, I can make that pitch effectively going to them...,if I have that video as the punch line. Looking for help here !
    Hunter III

Promo Video

Bravo, Hunter, you're right on track! Powerboat racing is a minority sport, far overwhelmed even by Karters, if Jeff Gordon and Danica Patrick are any examples. Unlike you & me, most folk didn't grow up near water. So the racing of boats doesn't translate nearly as well as anything with wheels on it.

One other aspect is how hard it is to test and run raceboats. As a boat racer, you can't just run a Kart out the garage door and blast off on some little test track. You need help with a race boat from folk willing to get wet to help.

Any sort of moving video can't help but be positive, especially with the increasingly restrictive access to good racing water. So many cottagers and homeowners are increasingly unwilling to have their tranquility interrupted for even one weekend a summer by powerboat racing.

Bob Wanamaker had the right idea in the late 1960s, early '70s: Find a little-used lake near Utica (Madison), and run there every weekend, the center of Region 2 (NY State, back when we had dozens of racers within the easy driving distance.) Whether such a Utopia now still exists anywhere is doubtful.

Your Alexandria Bay and even downriver in Ogdensburg have always been receptive to at least one big regatta a year in the past, but neither venue provides reliably good racing water for Outboards of any description ... why Chick LaRose developed the alternative regatta sites: Lisbon Beach just off the St Lawrence and Norwood on the river above Potsdam.

So go for it! I encourage anyone with video to support Hunter in this quest. He's got a lot of energy and good contacts. -- dave

Comment

Originally posted by dwhitford View Post
      Bravo, Hunter, you're right on track! Powerboat racing is a minority sport, far overwhelmed even by Karters, if Jeff Gordon and Danica Patrick are any examples. Unlike you & me, most folk didn't grow up near water. So the racing of boats doesn't translate nearly as well as anything with wheels on it.

One other aspect is how hard it is to test and run raceboats. As a boat racer, you can't just run a Kart out the garage door and blast off on some little test track. You need help with a race boat from folk willing to get wet to help.

Any sort of moving video can't help but be positive, especially with the increasingly restrictive access to good racing water. So many cottagers and homeowners are increasingly unwilling to have their tranquility interrupted for even one weekend a summer by powerboat racing.

Bob Wanamaker had the right idea in the late 1960s, early '70s: Find a little-used lake near Utica (Madison), and run there every weekend, the center of Region 2 (NY State, back when we had dozens of racers within the easy driving distance.) Whether such a Utopia now still exists anywhere is doubtful.

Your Alexandria Bay and even downriver in Ogdensburg have always been receptive to at least one big regatta a year in the past, but neither venue provides reliably good racing water for Outboards of any description ... why Chick LaRose developed the alternative regatta sites: Lisbon Beach just off the St Lawrence and Norwood on the river above Potsdam.

So go for it! I encourage anyone with video to support Hunter in this quest. He's got a lot of energy and good contacts. -- dave
      Set up a laptop and play this. A few years old but still gets to the point.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lGH0It94ZVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Hunter,

I produced that video you see that Dan Lawrence posted in this thread.

If you need a copy on DVD, let me know your address and I'll send you one.

Dana

Comment

Here's one Powerboat TV:

Pwrboat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTknE3-RGM
          Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Working...
          X