Tom O'Neill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom O'Neill

Seattle Outboard Assn. members have just got word of the passing of Tom O'Neill.

In 1965, when I joined SOA, Tom O'Neill was one of the top racers in a very competitive D Stock Hydro class. Names I recall from then and the next few years would include Mike Raich, who held the competition record which O'Neill soon broke and held for several years; also, Roy Williams, who was killed at a race in Oregon. Paul Longthorpe, Bob Rhoades, Jim Daniels, probably Dave Jenkins, Dave Jaeger, John Lasher, Wendell Ward, Bob Luke, . . . other old Reg. 10 guys can add more names here. Several of the fast guys at the time had short-sponson Sid-Crafts, but I don't remember anyone who could pitch one of those tricky boats around like O'Neill did and keep getting away with it. He even sometimes ran alky Merc D's and 44's on that 10' 8" Sid.

On first acquaintance, Tom seemed to have a bit of a brusque manner manner about him, and he was a very tough competitor for sure, but a highly likeable guy, very good company. I have the impression that he didn't take many trips out of the region, but he certainly was "Nationals-fast" in his day.
    Later on, I understand he did a lot of support work for the club as a referee and race organizer.

I saw him for the first time in decades two months ago, and was dismayed and saddened to see how frail he looked, this tough customer of long ago. But his sense of humor and enthusiasm was all there. A neat guy. There'll be a hundred Tom O'Neill stories told for years to come.

Tom O'Neill
    Yes it is true Tom has run his last lap and i am proud to say he was my
    racing partner for 4+ years even better a good friend for 46+ years!

To you my racing partner and GOOD friend GOD BLESS and R.I.P.
    Tru Cragin R100

Comment

Tom

Tru,

What date did Tom pass? He was a true good guy and friend. And a great boat racer. His D Stock Hydro record was in the books for at least 10 years.

Dean Hobart
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Dean,
        Erin Toms daughter sent an E-Mail on 11/15/2013 to Adrienne Cragin she in turn sent it to me!

Tru Cragin R-100

Comment

Tom

Tom was an enigma....he came across as mean and gruff, but deep down he honestly cared about people. He set me up with my first D stock hydro ride in 1985, and I owe him a lot. I sure am going to miss him...Dave

Comment

Working...
          X