302 Super Stock Hydro on the west coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 Super Stock Hydro on the west coast

I found out last night that we will soon have our first 302SSH on the West coast! Motor order will be going into TJ mid month. Very cool stuff.......

Just Asking

Why? How long until he/she rides the back of the pack in Novice C and all the other Yamato classes before he/she profiles the foot and mills the head?

Not trying to be negative Dave but in Region 10 this racer is wasting money.
    Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

2014 Nationals

He's probably looking forward to the 2014 SO / MOD / J Nationals in Moses Lake. The 302SS Hydro class will run there.

Just a thought.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
        He's probably looking forward to the 2014 SO / MOD / J Nationals in Moses Lake. The 302SS Hydro class will run there.

Just a thought.
        I can see that Dean. Good Point...

Comment

Originally posted by Team 222R View Post
          Why?

Not trying to be negative Dave but in Region 10 this racer is wasting money.
          Pretty strong statement don't you think Bill? You ask why? First off, 302ssh only requires 3 entries to be a legally scored race. Therefore, you are only 2 away from a legal class. If SOA were to purchase one for use in their Driver's School and let it be used at races, then you're only one away.

This class was VERY successful in Region 6 in 2013. So successful that we see it going from 5-8 regular entries to possible elimination heat towards the end of 2014.

This is a class that is easy to promote in conjunction with Driver's School and if they grow "bored" with it after a year or two, they can always "un-seal" their engine and race 20 or C. Therefore, I don't see it as a "waste of money".

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by hydroracer25 View Post
            Pretty strong statement don't you think Bill? You ask why? First off, 302ssh only requires 3 entries to be a legally scored race. Therefore, you are only 2 away from a legal class. If SOA were to purchase one for use in their Driver's School and let it be used at races, then you're only one away.

This class was VERY successful in Region 6 in 2013. So successful that we see it going from 5-8 regular entries to possible elimination heat towards the end of 2014.

This is a class that is easy to promote in conjunction with Driver's School and if they grow "bored" with it after a year or two, they can always "un-seal" their engine and race 20 or C. Therefore, I don't see it as a "waste of money".

Mark
            Hey Mark,

Yes I do think. I'm sure 302 is working well for you guys (and that great) but we have a local class here in region 10 that satisfies the needs of the new racer without spending the extra cash for a new sealed motor and limiting him from being competitive in other classes. 302ssh racers are limited to the props they can run to be fast in other classes as they have to keep the stock shaft (can't shim down) and other easy performance mods that may be already done to a used motor.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth 302ssh in your region but IN MY OPINION here in "10" I think a guy will have more fun and stay interested buying a good used motor. For the extra money he will spend on a new "sealed motor" they could profile a case/propshaft or mill a head if it's not already been done.

That's the really cool thing about "Novice C" -vs- 302SSH. I think at this point in "REGION 10", steering a new driver to buy a 302ssh rig is a bad move.

Just My Opinion.

Comment

Apples and Oranges

Bill,

Keep in mind that ANYONE can run 302SH, and while it is very "Novice Friendly" in terms of its structure, any racer can run it, since it's about having equal equipment. It's an intent to create and maintain a "pure stock" class.

I love what R10 has done with Novice C, and it's a model that works very well for us here. But 302SH is a slightly different breed of cat.

For all we know, that first R10 outfit could be coming to Wartinger. Just sayin'........

R-19
              www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

302SSH/Stock outboarding

The first 302ssh in region ten is going to Tanner Cole...(do I have the last name right) part of this year's new J project. Tanner is a big kid, to big for J or A, and dad wants him to run something a little bigger but not to fast. There are several other people that are interested in getting rigs....the novice C program was never intended to be "home" for a racer...there are limits as to how long you can run class. With the 302SSH motor you can run other Yamato classes...with the stock lower unit or if you want to go a little faster buy or borrow a shaped lower unit. The class is a HUGE hit in region 6...and there is a lot of buzz going on nationwide about it. Much more to come. Dave

Comment

Nice work Dave and R-6

Comment

Question answered

In that situation I see the fit. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

302SSH/Stock outboarding

No prob. Get off your butt and get that D rig out in 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                        No prob. Get off your butt and get that D rig out in 2014!
                        What he said.

Comment

Dave, yes you have Tanner Cole's name correct and your are spot on why his dad Jeff is going 302SSH. They will be buying a spare lower unit as well that will be intended for the other Yamato classes once he gets some time in the boat... Going from JSH to 20SSH/CSH/OSY400 is challenging for anybody let alone with only 8 heats of racing.

The 302SSH is a great class and I will have one in my trailer for next year as well!

I will drive it once in a while but the main purpose will be to throw some of my inboard friends in it at the races... Want to guess how many 302SSH's we will have going into the 2015 race season? It will be more than the 3 or 4 that we will have going into 2014.

SOA has done a great job with "Novice C" on a local level. I like 302SSH because it is a national class and all the equipment is stock!

Comment

I could be wrong but didn't we beat this horse to death last year? I pity the fool that doesn't understand this class !

Comment

This 302SSH class has nothing to do but GROW.. Imagine having stock motor
                              that is virtually bullet proof.. An easy to spec. out hydro ,, probably easier to
                              find good used safety equipment.. Probably less than a 5K investment,,
                              running in the low 60's.. I think it will attract the old guys like myself,, that want to
                              relive their age of 30-45.. I'm just pi__ed that I live in Region 16.. If it ever gets to
                              Region 7,, count me in. The rest of this message is for Dave Anderson..
                              I have found a bunch of 8 tracks that I think have the Merc Challenge Series on them.
                              When I get time to go through them,, I will send them to you.. Kudos to the SOA!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X