AXIS Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AXIS Insurance

As some of you know, I messed up a couple fingers on my left hand at Whitney Point.

My primary care was a pain in the back side because service was out of network.

I just received a check for the balance of the original office visit. All I did was fill the accident report at the race. Then when the uncovered claims came in, I called AXIS got a claim number and gave it to those looking for money.

Taken care of!

I know APBA is a little more expensive then some sanctioning bodies.
    Hey, they took care of me! I thought it might be a little food for thought.

Tim
    Tim Weber

Same thing happened at our race last year in Montana.. NBRA coverage took care of everything no questions asked once it was verified that the driver had signed the release at the race.. So make sure you fill out the paper work and get the wrist band on
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

AOF insurance paid a couple of claims last year too. I am sure that as contracted insurance carriers they all will do what they promise. We pay enough for the coverage as sanctioning bodies, the insurance companies should and are obligated to pay up. What happens many times, at least in AOF is that some do not realize it is secondary insurance and your own pays first. In AOF the release of liability really does not matter to the our insurance company if they are members. The release is on the application. It really matters for spectators.
      Of course, the more releases and signatures the better if a case would ever go to court.

Comment

Paid Insurance Claims?

At this time I feel compelled to express my experience with APBA insurance. I was not as fortunate as I had hoped I would be in trying to file a claim. The big question here is how many of us really know what is covered and what isn't?
        In my case, I made decisions based on information relayed to me from the race site and my own erroneous assumptions. My APBA membership and racing is curtailed until I pay off the balance of my deductible which was not covered by the APBA insurance provider.
        I experienced a heart attack while racing C stock runabout in Franklin, Pa. The symptoms started right after a near collision with my son while exiting the first turn after the start. I failed to properly grip my steering wheel in the next turn and couldn't safely turn my boat. While all this was going on, I experienced throbbing pain in my left arm, tightness in my chest, pain in my jaw, and shortness of breath. I knew I was having a heart attack and pulled off the course.
        Upon my return to the pits, I climbed out of my boat, sat for a few minutes and then walked up to the ambulance. I want to express my point here that this ambulance is required for emergency purposes at the races. However, I was told later by the representative from the insurance company that because my heart attack was not caused by an acccident, I was not covered by their plan. I am grateful that the ambulance was there. The attending paramedic immediately saw I was going into cardiac arrest and began the necessary emergency treatment. But again, the bottom line is I wasn't covered for anything. I understand that I shouldn't be covered for the medical costs required after I reached the hospital. But I still would have thought my ambulance ride would be covered. The ambulance bill was paid in full by my private insurance company however a major portion of my deductible amount included the life flight helicopter bill. It would have been nice to have something reimbursed with $10,000.00 stated in our APBA policy. But again, my heart attack wasn't caused by an accident, so I received nothing. Had I died, I wonder if the life insurance benefit would have been paid to my family. I want to also add that the generous contributions from my racing friends at the time of my episode were greatly appreciated and helpful throughout my ordeal.
        I am posting this as a lesson to all my fellow racers to read and fully understand our insurance plan and benefits. We need to be proactive in our understanding of this process. The result of my ignorance of my APBA insurance coverage is still costing me money and curtailing my racing experience. I was very fortunate that my wife had good insurance from her employer. How many of you out there, can say that? Tim Weber has already stated that his primary insurance carrier balked at payment.

Sincerely,
        Rick Wagner Sr.

Comment

Rick, I don't think any EMT would of denied you treatment that is part of the job. We EMT's will help anyone anywhere. However, I would not of expected the event insurance to cover the expenses incurred from heart attack, unless it was a traumatic (accident) event that caused it. Even if you have a high deductible plan which it sounds like you have if you have substantial uncovered expenses.

I also don't think you would of done anything differently would you? Would you of allowed yourself to suffer a cardiac arrest because you would not be covered by APBA insurance? Did they life flight you from the race site?

You are right it pays to know your insurance. However I would never let that stop me from getting to definitive care as quickly as possible. You were fortunate that there was an ambulance right there. In the small town that we live in it would take 20 minute minimum for the ambulance to reach you after you dialed 911. Many times that is too long!

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Working...
          X