Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Restrictor Plates REALLY Good For Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Restrictor Plates REALLY Good For Racing?

Over the last few years I've paid very little attention to what's been going on in boat racing. I raced a bit, but when I wasn't there, neither was my mind. On catching up with what's been happening, one thing is plainly clear: This sport is a mess. The only thing is, it doesn't seem to be a mess at the races. It's a mess in the rulebook. At the races, I see new motors racing in every class, good competition, growth in classes where numbers were dwindling(region 4 now has a BSH class). And, yet, we've got this mess where you can run this motor in this class and that class, or this motor in those 3 classes, no you can't put that on a runabout, yeah, that's a B motor but good luck winning the Nationals unless you're Ed Hearn. There is no organization. You guys all have your microscopes zoomed in on each class, trying to make it viable, while the whole sport is just becoming a jumbled mess where the classes are all starting to look alike. We've got to take a step back, and look at the sport at a whole. We have to remember, the classes don't belong to the drivers. The classes belong to the sport, the drivers belong to the classes. And, similarly, it is the same with the motors, they, too, belong to the class. That is why I think it is paramount for the survival of the sport that we very quickly get some sort of clear definition of class structure. And, of course, I have an idea my self.

First, why restrictor plates are bad for racing:
    -Confuses class identity(as I mentioned above).
    -Makes scheduling complicated
    -Makes inspection complicated
    -Assumes 'one race isn't good enough' mentality(this can be addressed with format change)
    -Makes tuning motors more difficult, giving advantage to more tech-minded racers-disadvantage new guy.

Class Structure:
    AX-Evinrude and Mercury(the J motors, now this class is a viable stepping stone class again)
    A Stock-15 cubic inch class-Hot Rod and SW 15S-allow SW to jack up which would probably make them comparable in speed and clear up some of the issues they've been having running deep.
    B Stock-20 cubic inch class-Yamato 80 and SW 20S-Despite what some have said, I(and I don't think I'm alone) don't see why two 20 motors shouldn't be pretty comparable. In racing the class I feel that they already are, parity would arise naturally.
    C Stock-25 cubic inch class-Yamato 102, 302 and Merc 25xs(maybe lower to 1 3/8" height? or, this maybe the one case where you need a restrictor. I think I recall these classes running very similar lap times when the Mercs ran restricted)
    D Stock-Tohatsu and Merc

This accomplishes, of course, a number of things:
    -Makes the sport, and the classes, easier to talk about, and, therefore, easier to sell. The motors can be easily recognized and associated with their class.
    -Gives racers a new motor option and a used motor option in every class.
    -Gives each new motor it's own class to identify with, while still allowing the used option to remain competitive. This means getting the benefit of manufacturer competition without pitting two production motors against each other.
    -Classing by cubic inch should be the easiest way to obtain parity. The way it's been tried, it seems, cubic inches always win out anyway, even with a restrictor. It seems the restrictors always get smaller and the bigger engine still wins.
    -Scheduling is now easier, allowing the opportunity for a format change to give more 'bang for the buck', possibly as simple as adding laps, or maybe running 3 heats.
    -Gives the opportunity to promote runabouts as a second class option.
    -Gives EVERY class the opportunity for growth nationwide. We would no longer be just keeping classes alive. Every class has a clear future because every class has viable motor options. And, by classing by cubic inch(as racing should be done anyway!), it gives the classes identity beyond the motors we are racing now. It will ease this hardship next time around.
    -It puts an end to the fluffing of classes with motors that don't belong, while giving every engine a viable class to run nationwide.

In order to sell the sport to new racers it has to be sellable. There has to be a clear picture of just what's going on. As it stands every class is on shaky ground except for C and D. INDECISION is KILLING this sport more than anything. We gotta zoom out, look at the big picture, think long term, because this fiddling around class by class is just tangling the web further and further. We have to fix the SPORT, once that is done, the classes will be just fine.

Peace.
    Last edited by ryan_4z; 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

I fully support this structure.
    Its very clean and organized.

Would like to stop the constant politics and just get down to racing...

Comment

Ryan, who said you weren't perfectly articulate, I've always liked your thinking and you are spot on dude!

Todd

Comment

No, no they're not!

You have a brilliant class structure outlined, I have mentioned one like this many, many times.

Unfortunately this will NEVER happen as long as the members run APBA, never.

Comment

Restricted 20

Ryan,
          Just a thought... From what I've seen this summer, a restricted 20ci Sidewinder seems to run well in the B class. You may want to consider keeping it an option in B.

Mike

Comment

Perfect structure.

Started racing stocks in the early 60's and raced until I couldn't stand it any more. Got introduced to a Quincy Flathead A by O. F., and Gene and was my mind reeling. I had to pay attention to cubic inches, AND NOTHING ELSE! Although back then we had minimum weights I never came in under weight. THEN.........there were no minimum weights. If you could keep it on the water, you could race it. I feel the more rules and regulations you throw at ANY type of competition, devalues the work done by the people out front, just to try to level the playing field. This could be done by preparing 24 identical boats and putting 24 drivers in to qualify over however many elimination heat for a final. (iROC style). But racing what you have worked on from day one to be the best an baddest in class.........parity or not........ Cubic inches and fuel ( plus minimum weights for stocks, should be all that needs the addressed. It would be cool to see a BSH break the 100mph mark (are you listening Lee Sutter). Its called racing for a reason Lets not lose sight of our reason for doing this. Go fast, turn left.

Comment

This might have already been tried, but i'll suggest it anyway... Why not pull the restrictor from the 20 SW and go with a smaller carb for B?

Comment

I like this class structure. However, I would use only the 20 CID Sidewinder. Just drop the restrictor plate in for B and leave it out for the faster class. I don't have the issues you have with restrictors.

You are spot on as far as the rules being a huge mess. The only thing that will fix that would be to combine the SO, MOD and Pro Categories. Maybe have one racing commission that deals with regattas and races and have separate class commissions that deal with technical rules. That way all of the racing rules would be the same across categories.
                14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Oh, and keep 302SSH.
                  14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

And keep 20ssH with Y80s and restricted Y302s only.

Comment

You guys are as bad as Congress, no wonder the sport is screwed up!

Comment

We need to go back to the old original structure.
                        A = 15 cubic inches
                        B = 20 cubic inches
                        C = 30 cubic inches
                        D = 40 Cubic Inches

If your High Zoot 30" can't keep up with the latest Super High Zoot 30", too bad. Get a new Super High Zoot and run up front. Trying to get all of the Zoots to run the same is insane, there are too many variations. If one motor is going to dominate a class, so be it. That is the way it is and may even entice a motor manufacturer to continue production and even do R&D to be better or the High Zoot to totally redesign. Lord knows we have lost the biggies and now must rely on little guys like SW, the Tohatsu guys and the Yamato importers. No biggie is going to spend any money to develop a motor for this crazy mixed up mess. I have been racing for about 6 years now and I hate to admit it but I still don't understand all these crazy classes.

We need to get back to the basics and eliminate all these niche classes that benefit no one but a few. I ran 25SSR at the Western Divisionals to fill the class but there was no big difference from from CSR. It was the same boat, same motor with a restrictor that ran very similar to my CSR setup and I even lost a place because one driver took out his restrictor for the second heat and didn't go to inspection and didn't get DQ'd. Seems like a a driver could run unrestricted first heat, get a great finish, put the plate in for the second and get a decent finish and win overall on time and pass inspection. Not that I am suggesting anyone would cheat, but the possibility exists. Basics anyone?
                        kk

Comment

Off topic a little

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                          A = 15 cubic inches
                          B = 20 cubic inches
                          C = 30 cubic inches
                          D = 40 Cubic Inches

I ran 25SSR at the Western Divisionals to fill the class but there was no big difference from from CSR. It was the same boat, same motor with a restrictor that ran very similar to my CSR setup and I even lost a place because one driver took out his restrictor for the second heat and didn't go to inspection and didn't get DQ'd. Seems like a a driver could run unrestricted first heat, get a great finish, put the plate in for the second and get a decent finish and win overall on time and pass inspection. Not that I am suggesting anyone would cheat, but the possibility exists. Basics anyone?
                          kk
                          Wait So someone did do that? I was in that race.....

I am in favor of making the classes basic again, like you've mentioned.
                          Kyle Bahl
                          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

A = 15 cubic inches
                            B = 20 cubic inches
                            C = 30 cubic inches
                            D = 40 Cubic Inches

If your High Zoot 30" can't keep up with the latest Super High Zoot 30", too bad. Get a new Super High Zoot and run up front. Trying to get all of the Zoots to run the same is insane, there are too many variations. If one motor is going to dominate a class, so be it. That is the way it is and may even entice a motor manufacturer to continue production and even do R&D to be better or the High Zoot to totally redesign. Lord knows we have lost the biggies and now must rely on little guys like SW, the Tohatsu guys and the Yamato importers. No biggie is going to spend any money to develop a motor for this crazy mixed up mess. I have been racing for about 6 years now and I hate to admit it but I still don't understand all these crazy classes.
                            I agree! (Except I would suggest D class c.i. Max should be 44)
                            We must get back to an ABCD format!

Comment

Are restrictor Plates REALLY Good for Racing?

A = 15 cubic inches
                              B = 20 cubic inches
                              C = 30 cubic inches
                              D = 40 Cubic Inches

We need to get back to the basics and eliminate all these niche classes that benefit no one but a few. I ran 25SSR at the Western Divisionals to fill the class but there was no big difference from from CSR. It was the same boat, same motor with a restrictor that ran very similar to my CSR setup and I even lost a place because one driver took out his restrictor for the second heat and didn't go to inspection and didn't get DQ'd. Seems like a a driver could run unrestricted first heat, get a great finish, put the plate in for the second and get a decent finish and win overall on time and pass inspection. Not that I am suggesting anyone would cheat, but the possibility exists. Basics anyone?
                              kk

I have always wondered why the old replaced motors were made illegal, they were abundant, cheaper than new and supposed to be slower but so what. The newbies I know needed to walk before they ran up front and were scared off by the price of a new motor. So please include the old motors that have been legal to race in the class and we can get new people. If they want to go faster, when they get bitten by the bug, then they can step up as their budget allows. At least they are there and bitten, although some don't need to win, the experience and camaraderie is what they are after.
                              Thanks
                              Skeet

Comment

Working...
                              X