Rule Clarification on 1/4 Mile Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Clarification on 1/4 Mile Records

We spent the weekend in West Virginia for the 1/4 Mile time trials and had a great time. I can definitely see this gaining traction and becoming very popular. Before it grows, it may be a good idea to clarify the rules to ensure fair competition. The rules currently state "the entrant must run the equipment in 'competition set-up' ".

I believe the original intent of the rule was to ensure that boats used in regular, oval course racing were used for 1/4 Mile records...not specially designed straightaway boats. In fact, there was some thought that any boat entered in a 1/4 Mile trial had to have been raced previously on an oval course.

It's clear that competition height, weight, and tuck rules apply, so the questions that would need to be answered to help clarify the rules are:
    1) Are specially designed, straightaway boats allowed in 1/4 Mile trials?
    2) Is it a requirement that boats entered in 1/4 Mile trials be previously raced on a regular, oval course?
    3) How will boat eligibility be enforced?

- Mike

[/B][/B]

I can see right now a boat built for just a straitaway run could still go out and putze around a oval course to pass a rule for circle racing.. Looks like a lot of fun to come
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Where is Gleason? It all his fault.
      The 1/4 mile records was Pat's idea. It brought new interest into time trials.
      bill b

Comment

We know the intent... You recently spent too much time around a lawyer.

Comment

Here's the rule as written. No specifics on equipment. It just says your setup must be a competition setup (weight, shaft height,etc)

"4. For MO and SO classes, straightaway records shall be run over one (1) kilometer and one-quarter (1/4) mile courses. One-quarter
          (1/4) mile record events must be run in the same manner as kilometer records except with the one-quarter (1/4) mile distance, the entrant must run the equipment in “competition set-up”. Modified Outboard classes will only be awarded Hall of Champion points for a one- quarter (1/4) mile record if the record speed exceeds the highest speed closed course competition record for the same class by 10%. PRO classes may run for straightaway records over both one kilometer and one mile courses. However, only one straightaway record will be recognized for a particular PRO class, either for the mile or the kilometer, whichever is the faster record. .PRO shall recognize two
          straightaway records: (1) one-quarter mile straightaway records and (2) either one kilometer or one mile (whichever is faster). One-quarter
          mile record events shall be run in the same manner as one kilometer or one mile records except using the one-quarter mile distance."
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Boats

Sean,
            That's kind of the way I was interpreting it as well.

I think the original intent was to keep it affordable, and attainable by most racers. This was to be supported by only allowing boats that compete in oval, short course events, to run the 1/4 Mile trials.

Who would have the authority/responsibility for the Official interpretation of this rule?

Mike

Comment

Maybe a boat inspection at these races should be done and a sticker given by an inspector.the boats must meet the spirit of the rules somehow or these records will become out of reach like most of the kilo records are.in mod bob wartingers records are never going to be broke.i think he set a lot of them in stock also with kilo boats that were built for kilos only.better do something before its to late.

Comment

Originally posted by brill27 View Post
                Maybe a boat inspection at these races should be done and a sticker given by an inspector.the boats must meet the spirit of the rules somehow or these records will become out of reach like most of the kilo records are.in mod bob wartingers records are never going to be broke.i think he set a lot of them in stock also with kilo boats that were built for kilos only.better do something before its to late.
                Concur. Inspector should have responsibility. Now it's up to the SORC to come up with the criteria.....More rules suck, but this one should be easy to hammer out.
                Kyle Bahl
                20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by brill27 View Post
                  Even the New 20SSH and CSH kilo record by Mr. Bryne and Peeters from earlier this year are Kilo boats built by Sornson. Which I have no problem with, but I think criteria for 1/4 mile should be set up...
                  Kyle Bahl
                  20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Our rules currently state we can use either type of boat and that is probably a good thing. I learned over the weekend that my competition boat was far too unsafe for straightaway record speeds due to too much lift.

How in the world could we write rules to differentiate between a closed course hull and a kilo boat?

I feel our boat rules are fine for the event as is, but we sure need more criteria on how to fairly conduct this type of event and more advanced time keeping equipment.

If you haven't tried this event, you should. It adds a ton of fun to our sport to try something different. Especially when you have a duel with another entry and go back and forth juggling the record!

p.s. Burdick, thanks for the laugh this morning!
                    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Leave it open

I say don't discourage anyone from hull design. We have enough rules we can't or won't enforce.

Actually it's past time to eliminate some rules and pare back to what we can sustainably enforce.

Comment

Let the innovators innovate, without innovators we would still be racing Jacoby hydros and Sid Craft runabouts.

Comment

Kilo boats

Originally posted by Rich Runne View Post
                          Let the innovators innovate, without innovators we would still be racing Jacoby hydros and Sid Craft runabouts.
                          These type of 'specialty' hulls are why Kilo's are basically a thing of the past. Once Pav, Reed and the boys start building 1/4 mile 'special' boats the 1/4 mile runs will die just like the Kilo's have............

Comment

Flattering but

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                            These type of 'specialty' hulls are why Kilo's are basically a thing of the past. Once Pav, Reed and the boys start building 1/4 mile 'special' boats the 1/4 mile runs will die just like the Kilo's have............
                            No time to build a whole new boat for two paces in a 1/4 mile chute

Comment

Bummer

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
                              No time to build a whole new boat for two paces in a 1/4 mile chute
                              Troy was looking forward to being a world record 1/4 mile holder in AXH with a 25 pound Reed Hull!!

Comment

Working...
                              X