SO Annual Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO Annual Meeting

I have just returned from Atlanta. Thank-you John Read for the lift from Atlanta to Cincinnati where I rented a car to get back to Chicago. Delta tells me my flight out of Hartsfield MAY leave today.

I would like to personally thank, not only all of the SO Commissioners for giving up their time and money to attend this meeting, but also all of the SO members who attended and provided the SORC with their thoughts and input. The entire process is tedious, but everyone who wished to be heard on a matter was allowed to provide the SORC with their opinions at least once and, most times, as often as the member wished to address to Commission. The SORC worked very hard (2-1/2 days not counting sub-committee meetings over lunch, dinner and in the evening) to address all of the items of concern that the members have raised over the last year. Many decisions were made by the SORC and I'm quite sure that none of you will agree with all of the decisions. However, the process works and I personally really appreciate how hard all of your elected commissioners worked to better this sport.

I also wish to personally thank Mike Ross of Region 6 for serving as SORC secretary. Mike took detailed notes of everything that was happening (including items tabled to make sure they were taken from the table later) and provided his notes to Dan here on Hydroracer to post in order to keep you all informed as to what was going on. Thank-you very much, Mike!

Now, on to Ocoee!
    Last edited by 14-H; 01-31-2005, 01:00 PM.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Modified Outboard Atlanta

I would like to thank all of our commissioners that attended and participated in the Atlanta meetings. Weather was as bad as many of our races this year but the important work was done, studied, new ideas produced, and progress in making our racing safer was one of the issues that made this meeting important. Thanks to the host staff, the people of the Westin Atlanta, the APBA staff, and the members that attended to share their ideas
    John Read Mod Chair APBA

Comment

25XS Restrictor rule

Okay, gents, I have read the minutes of the National meeting about removal of the restrictor in my 25XS engine for 25SSR. Does this mean I must replace it between heats/races when I bolt the same engine on my 25SSH hydro? Also, are there any experienced guys out there that can tell me what carb jetting changes I'll need to make to actually see an increase in power, RPM or engine response? Thanks, Raceboat61-S

Comment

Yup!

If you intend on using the same engine for 25SSH, the restrictor has to go back in. As for jet replacement....go testing & see if it is needed. Many racers pull the restrictor for the "J/A" combo w/out a jet change. On the Yomato many richen the high speed 4 clicks...

The SORC approved the removal of the restrictor with out any testing data...TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!
        17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Mike, I have wondered the same. I have been told the restrictor has to stay in for the hydro's. My opinion is, how freakin' stupid is that.
          I couldnt afford to travel to the meeting so I do not understand the reasons why. Hopefully someone that was there can explain.
          I was so excited to hear the new rule for the runabout class! I am appreciative for the chance to now compete. The only bummer is now to compete I will have to switch restrictor plates since I, like many have only one complete engine.
          If there ever comes a day that we can buy gears with out being bent over then I will have a second motor. But until then the restrictor plate switch will be a real problem.
          http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Ask a few more questions........

Well maybe before we start cying stupid we should ask a few more questions....

American Hot Rod made a presentation confirming their commitment to build motors in several speed ranges over the next five years. They have already pushed more money into production than you can imagine, over $100,000 with no garuntees from anyone on when and how they will recoup that investment. The 15ci alone is not going to do it! I proved the 20c.i. Hot Rod could compete comptitelvy in the 25SSH class. Now we want to build up the class with Hot Rods. You will see at least three more Hot Rods in that class in Region 6 this year! We were actaully very disappointed that the restrictor was pulled in the runabout class. However, we understood because of the parity issue and the amount Yamatos and Merc. in the class.

I am sorry that the one motor Merc. teams that race Runabout and Hydro would be inconveinced. However, it is for the much greater good of ouboard racing that the American Hot Rod company be successful.

P.S. don't let the name fool you.....American Hot Rod first commitment to A.P.B.A. is to build J/A gearcases to get more kids on the water.

Later,
            Dean

Comment

Everyone was told to send your motions to your Commisioners or Chairman. We had the time to go review more motions. Thank Mike Affholter for the 25 runabout getting changed. He was the only one fighting for the Merc teams. Steve Warnock was there and I believe he runs 25 hydro and it was never brought up. SORRY!!! Get some custom wrenches ground so you become a great restrictor changer. After doing an A this should be a no brainer. Dean I'm with you I'm going Hot Rod 20cc rocket. Mike
              mike ross

Comment

Dean, do you know the status on the J/A gearcases? Do you have a waiting list started yet? If so, put me down for one.

Joe

Originally posted by CSH12M
                Well maybe before we start cying stupid we should ask a few more questions....

P.S. don't let the name fool you.....American Hot Rod first commitment to A.P.B.A. is to build J/A gearcases to get more kids on the water.

Later,
                Dean

Comment

Changing restrictors

We take out and replace restrictors two or three times a day on the 15 merc between JH, AXSH, JR and AXSR. You'll get it down to less than 3 minutes, I'm quite sure. Ed.

ADD: Oh yeah, that doesn't count the times the carb must come off because the motor went under water when the boat turns over in the corner. The nuts on the Merc carb on our engine come off at least 4 times per day.
                  14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Hello Joe

Hello Joe, we should have enough for everyone in two months or less. The actual first ten will go to the J kids waiting for one for their engine. However the time difference between those first ten and the next forty should be weeks not months.

Keep you eyes on Hydroracer. American Hot Rod will be posting often, I am working on our first press release now.

Thanks,
                    Dean

Comment

Got a question for you Dean, any reason why you weren't on the SORC this year? The past 2 years I went to the meetings and I thought you had the most to offer of anyone, and often times the only one fighting for them. Just curious as to why you weren't on it. Awesome to hear about the Hot Rod stuff too, keep it up man.

Comment

I am so stoked about the new American Hot Rod. The work you guys are doing now could make secure the future of boat racing for a very long time. To have a company that could possibly produce motors for every class smaller than C is unbelievably great. I feel that the future of small outboard racing is going to be secure now for a very long time. Ron, Dean, Sled, and everyone else involved, you guys are doing an invaluable service to this sport. And it is greatly appreciated.
                        Ryan Runne
                        9-H
                        Wacusee Speedboats
                        ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

I have to second what Ryan said, we had a great presentation at the meeting by HotRod, gave us a lot of news and info.
                          We had a lot of good meetings, it was a busy weekend.
                          I would like to thank everyone involved in putting the whole thing together, the guys and wives in Atlanta worked nonstop all weekend to keep it all running smoothly and they did a fantastic job.

Comment

Hey Donny,

I was wondering the same about you.....I heard you had to work, you were missed.

Over the last couple of years I found myself in the minority opinion the majority of the time. Also, the commission can only run the sport year to year and react to situations. I want to put every extra minute I have into the American Hot Rod. We came with a five year plan! and we will do it. I feel like I can do more good for outboard racing through American Hot Rod and inact the change I was trying to do on the commission.

Glad to hear from you!

Hope to see you in Occoee.

Later,
                            12M

Comment

Made in U.S.A.

Outboard racing spectator here, former blue collar workeralso.
                              Best news product of USA.

This is i presume stock racing? I think it's bout time for something sides a foriegn motor.

I remember elims in a,b,36 and d ye'h wern't no Cs then as speeditwins were history.

Wonder how many merc a,b and d stock motors ever got to da same race as to have all those elims.?

REason being i've seen at least .25 of what some have said exist at a single race.
                              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                              X