Crystal Lake,NY race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal Lake,NY race

the Crystal Lake Race is on the schedule for 2005.What is not established yet is the program.If you plan on attending,or have done so in past years,we need your feedback.There is interest in finding a separate venue for the inboards...in effect,removing them from the program and allowing a much earlier start for racing.The idea is to make sure we've done our best to get the whole card in,have some time to accomodate mishaps,and get everyone off to dinner or special events at a civilized time.Many of you come a long way to participate.We want you to help us grow this event.Having to go to one heat races for lack of time is not going to bring you back.Please kick this around and let us know how we can make this race better in every regard. Thanks in advance for your response....Hunter Grimes

Crystal Lake is always a fun weekend and we look forward to going each season. Perhaps starting the drivers meeting earlier and getting on the water by 10:00 or 10:30am. The inboards could also start earlier etc.... so you don't lose that group. One thing to keep in mind is your registration crew, starting earlier means opening registration earlier etc......

Either way we will be there, it's always a fun time.

Comment

There always seems to be alot of down time there. I'm sure it's important down time, but with the judges stand off in the distance, no one knows or can atleast see that they are working. I think a couple simple announcements informing the pits why were floating in our boats for 20 minutes waiting to go would ease the pain some. Whether it be waves, soggy paper work, adding up times, or plain and simple someone taking a break. Usually we're left wondering. Wondering never calms the crowd.

I think seeing the old inboards punch it once in a while as they putt around is cool. I'd like to see them if it could be worked in. Like maybe start early with racing, and have a 1pm break for an hour for lunch for the officials, then let the inboards go around. Dunno, just tossing an idea out for ya.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

i agree with both posts so far. what i found different this past year from the year before was the inboards weren't as organized. they weren't out as fast as the year before and i only assume that was because of the crane. with inboard races the crane being efficient always quickens up the show.
        and as for us getting out faster for the next heat, i just didn't find it as fast as other races i attended this year. i have no idea why this is and i bet there is a good reason for it. also maybe if everyone is okay with it, maybe eliminate the 3 minutes of milling and just start the one minute clock as soon as everyone is on the course.
        starting up earlier is also another obvious suggestion also.
        just food for thought
        Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

ideas for improvement

....things we are considering: generally unen***bering the whole weekend by dropping the inboard show.Having two ambulances on site.Enlisting turn boat drivers so that only one racer needs to be in each boat.Condensing driver meeting to one session for the event.A catered barbeque thing on site(a long shot) Don't let us do the wrong thing...but we are determined to make some changes and have this be smoothly run and memorable for all the right reasons.Help us out here...

Comment

Hunter, I think the race is great as is....... I know what it is to put on an event (I've done a couple ) and you guys do a great job. Here is an item that I struggled with at my events and I noticed it at yours.

Patrol boat duty: It's a fight to get guys to sign up, then they take forever to get there, then you've got the guys who never volunteer race get help putting their gear away and spectate in dry clothes the rest of the day, or leave early on Sunday while the diehards are racing and then packing up. So we can do like the inboard division up here, pay turn judges. Down side is the entry fee etc.... would have to increase to cover the cost of extra officials.

I don't think the inboard guys are a hinderance to the program, they are out there doing their thing early in the morning while the rest of us are setting up etc...... I like the idea of drivers meeting on day 1, then perhaps a quick roll call on sunday morning to ensure all boats are still accounted for. This could be also done like the inboard division up here does, they have a signup sheet at the pit tower, you have till a certain hour to sign in and if you don't you're scratched. Another issue that holds up drivers meetings is drivers not being present, and we have to look for them etc.... So we annouce drivers meeting at a certain hour and if you don't pre-arrange to be excused with the ref, and don't show..... scratch.

Back in 1982 I raced in the OA worlds at Dayton, and they locked the door to start the meeting in the tower and if you weren't there too bad.

Perhaps a pit party on Saturday night would be fun, but the down side is unless you get it catered it's the same volunteers looking after everything.

After all is said and done, I love going to Crystal Lake and as long as there is a race there I'll be there. So don't sweat the small stuff Hunter it's a great event and with a little co-operation from the drivers maybe just maybe it could be even greater.

Comment

bob's right. this event is great. i haven't been to this race without a great turn-out. the course is great and the people are great too.
              when i think of a good running event i think of valleyfield quebec for the inboard races. the drivers have to sign in by 9am, i believe, as bob mentioned before. drivers meeting is on the thursday night making the drivers' meeting on race days shorter and too the point (this event is 3 days long). racing starts by 11 at the lastest. and like us, they do their best to accomodate for any delays the previous day. but the other thing to consider is that there is a lot of money poured into this event. and doing things similar to valleyfield would, like bob also mentioned, raise fees for racers.
              so i wouldn't change much other than the things that i previously mentioned and i'll be there this coming year as well.
              Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Crystal Lake

Hunter,
                We think of Crystal Lake as our favorite race and would not miss it. However it does always run long,maybe because it is so popular and so many boats.I have a suggestion that would dramaticly speed up the program.While racing in Florida a couple years ago I raced with their (very popular)two heats on the water system.As soon as the last place boat crosses the finish line,the Green flag is thrown,as soon as all boats are down in the milling area the white flag is displayed,This system works very well and the races are run much quicker.It also eliminates the problems in the pits with motors that won't restart,recoil problems etc.The first thing everybody says (as I first did) is that I will run out of gas.I finish two heats with a Fickett tank on a 44 ci Merc on a 500 lb rig with enough gas to run yet another heat! Doug Overbury tried it at Sydenham and to my knowlege it worked great,maybe Doug could comment here.This would really help at CL because of the long run from the pits down to the milling area.
                Just a thought,what do you guys think?
                Larry Downs
                DSH 50-N

Comment

No more 3 boat classes,
                  no more inboards,
                  no more combined classes to make a class,
                  assign turn boat judges and attendants at drivers meetings
                  and one drivers meeting on saturday for the weekend. Print out the schedule on Sunday morning and have copies at the announcers stand.
                  that oughtta do it........
                  nightmoves

Comment

No more combined classes???------You guys have a nice time.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Crystal Lake

Hey Hunter,

As Bob stated as long as the race is there Linda and I will be there. I think that we can talk all day long about what we can and cannot do at a race but when it comes down to race day it always ends with some issues. We cannot control those things, down time, slow starts and combined classes are not in our control. we have been forced into a situation where we have to accomodate everyone at the race to make the race happen. I was informed yesterday that insurance may drop in price again this year, which always helps.

I think that with combining of our d-stock classic and DSH got rid of 4 heats over two days which will help some.

I think you guys do a wonderful job with what you have to work with and all the above suggestions in a perfect world are great. You may be able to accomodate some of them but I am sure not all and you will only have to wirk at it.

Any help the Ottawa Valley powerboat club can provide you are welcome to it. Linda and I arrive Thursday night and leave late Sunday afternoon anyhow.

I would like to see the race joint-sanction again but most CBF members are APBA members as well, at least those hunting points. This would have to be put to vote again in Canada with the three clubs and come back to you with an answer.

Best Regards,
                      Dave Scott
                      Aim Marine Inc.
                      613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                      Ottawa, Canada
                      http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
                      DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Crystal Lake

How about moving the inboard flybys to a inboard race locally ... there is an inboard race in Ogdensburg the first weekend in July .. If the race committee there could be contacted perhaps they could include them in their program .... they already have the cranes needed to accomodate them ...
                        just an idea to consider ... Crystal Lake is a great program and it seems like everyone has some great ideas to improve it .... dagiz

Comment

Many people like the two heats on the water idea, it's been done at some of our races up here for some classes. I for one would drive home though.

Boat racing is a numbers games. Two heats scored together. Boats get disqualified at the start. If you don't know what you did and your competition did before your second heat how can you play the game? I have crashed trying to pass someone that I didn't need to pass because they were DQ'd in the previous heat. If you are out there for a ride that's one thing, but if you're in it to win by playing the numbers it's different. It's bad enough when races don't announce the results before your second heat, you're guessing and might be taking unneeded risks on the course.

The fastest guy does not always win, consistancy counts and the calculating driver wins too.
                          Fralick Racing
                          Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Hunter. Wife and I will be there as usual and love the race. The thing is that on Sunday because of the 6 to 7 hour drive we have to leave a little earlier if the races don't go off as planned. Scratching is not what I like to do SSSOOOO
                            possibly a shorter coarse for the J"s and the AXS boats would help. It seems to take forever for this class to finish. I know they need seat time just like we did way back when but maybe this could help. As said by others and I agree, the drivers meeting should be considered for an earlier time and maybe even Friday night but may not be viable for the late night arrivee's. Time between heats is always a concern especially when one is kneeling in their boat on a hot day with their gear on wondering why!!! Gum chewing only goes so far to keep the mouth moist and the water doesn't taste that great. LOL
                            Larry had a great idea but has it's downfalls. I too have enough fuel to run back-to-back on the water heats but as Andrew said, not knowing what happened the first heat one might take unnecessary steps to win the second heat and place other drivers at risk for no reason.
                            My 2 cents and that's in Canadian dollars. LOL

Comment

I have enjoyed 2 years of racing at Crystal Lake , a earlier start would be nice . I do not enjoy back to back heats , I like to gas up have a cool drink and take a minute to enjoy the heat I just finished . Maybe on the Sunday .but still I rush around all week . Mike Ounjian
                              Mike Ounjian

Comment

Working...
                              X