Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like to get some insight from all regions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing long enough

Just a difference of preference, hence, boats hitting rocks at ?????? you, fill in the blanks, Me personally, if I take a turn a little to fast or wide, I'd like the choice to bail before I hit A seawall or the bleachers

Comment

Stadiums

Lake Ming in Bakersfield, CA was built for boat racing. Now, owned by the county, housing is starting to take over and the lake is getting harder and harder to have races on.

I've always said this is what we (boat racing in general) needs. Lucus Oil stadium is great, but my thoughts have always been stadiums throughout country. I live in Seattle, traveling to Missouri is financially not do able. But stadiums like Lucus oil around the country (approx 5-10, maybe more?) would be perfect. Hell in Seattle we have a basketball arena that is all but obsolete! Key arena has the WNBA, some concerts and that's it. I say fill that bad boy up and let's race!

Anyway the thought is a good one we just need money backers (easier said than done). Finding sponsors like Lucus Oil around the country will be the key to a project like this.
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

stadiums

Firebird Lake in Phoenix was built for racing. They have run inboards, unlimited and drags. Approximate 1 1/4 mi. around the island. Right next to PIR where they run nascar and nhra.

Comment

Steve, you should ask some of the Cal-Ore River Racers about that. Some pretty good stories there! And you do make a good point. Personally, though, I sort of like the idea of a little bit tighter course. From a spectator's viewpoint, it'd be a kick in the pants. From a racer's perspective, there's no happy wide line to cruise while the more serious racers thread the needle and fight for the inside line. Sort of like dirt track racing, there's an ever-present threat from the walls and the other vehicles between them, so it kind of forces better competition. Something tells me that Key Arena might be a bit TOO tight, though. I like the idea of an enclosed stadium, but the cost to make one big enough would be absolutely astronomical. Japan can do it because they run the whole thing like a horse race, with lots of people betting lots of money. We run it different so that it doesn't get dominated by big-money corporations and overinflate to the point that people can no longer just build their own boat and join in the fun. The way we go about it ensures that style and design remain flexible, advancing the sport, while allowing equal opportunity to anyone who wants to race. This forces another question, though. Would involving lots of big money backers and lots of big facilities nationwide begin a change that resulted in the reduction of our beloved pastimes to an over-regulated horse race that removes the elements of individuality and equal opportunity? In my mind, a land owner and a few devoted people with the means to start a project like the ones I mentioned earlier could be all that we need to begin a process that builds itself as it serves the needs of our sport.

Comment

The race at Lucas Speedway paid out $ 5700.00 to the drivers attending. The ODA the sponsoring club covered all their expenses, including insurance. Even made a few bucks. We will be back for 2 races next year.
            Art K

Comment

One Focus

Lucas is one mans vision to bring grass roots racing to grass roots racers in style. The impressions I get is that he does this for us because of his love for grass roots racing. Hence the first class dirt track, drag boat lake, Soon to be built and finished drag car track, and perhaps something is on the horizon..

Unless we build this one up, and make it mainstream others will not follow around the country. Just a hint, it was $20 a head to get in the speedway and they had a lot of people watching us, a lot of people. Not to mention all the vending, making money on beer, and food. All owned and operated by the Lucas facility.

If you hit the rocks, it is driver error, not the lakes fault. If there were sand instead of rocks, I think everyone would be excited. It is all a mental thing in my opinion. Oh crap, rocks... if it were sand it would not even enter your mind that the course is not 10 buoys wide.

This is a good exchange of information in this thread. It kind of puts it out there of what is already out there, and they are willing to dump that astronomical amount of cash into it, they already did. And if some things are done correctly by us, this could become our Japan Stadium racing type of thing, minus the betting. How does the saying go ? "If you build it, they will come" Well they built it, time to hold up our end of the deal.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
              X