25SSR set up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25SSR set up ?

Ok so I may be a bit ambitious with my plans for starting several SO classes next year but hey...go big or go home right???

While I do intend to pick up a 302 to race in 20SSH/OSY 400, I also remember having a ton of fun playing around in my teens with the old (even back then it was old) BSR you see in my avitar pic. Because of this memory I want to race in BSR & 25SSR so I have a question for you seasoned racers.

I see there are several motors that can be used with the 25SSR, each one demanding a different boat set up. Now I'm fortunate in that I can afford to have 2 complete boats w/motors but spending less is always better if I can still stay in the game. If I run the SW 20S on a 10' boat I can use the same rig for both BSR & 25SSR although I would need to add some lead for 25SSR.

I guess my question is, can this set up (SW20 w/10' boat for 25SSR) compete in both closed circit and marathon events or do I need a larger boat with a 302 to handle the marathons?

I am not the kind of person who has to win in order to enjoy myself, but I need to know I have the equipment that "can" compete.

Also, I see many hydroplane builders listed who offer plans, kits or even complete hulls but other than Sorensen I don't see anyone offering the same for runabouts. Now I have alot of respect for Sorensen boats but it's nice to have options just the same, after all it's easy to be the best when your the only one. If any of you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Good, we need runabout drivers! Here are some of your options.

25SSR and BSR are not necessarily interchangable on the same boat as they were in the 70's & early 80's. They each have different characteristics although there is some common ground.

The BSR MUST be a roll up boat. The fin must be on the bottom of the hull, not mounted on the chine. The minimum length for a BSR is 9'5" measured from the trailing edge of the bottom to the bow of the boat. The legal motors are the 15c.u." Hot Rod & the Sidewinder 20S.

The 25SSR can be a roll up or side fin boat. The minimum length is 10'5" (measured the same way). The legal motors are the Mercury 25XS, the Sidewinder 20S & the Yamato 102 or 302 restricted. There are two - Restrictor/weight combinations for the Yamato motors - as well as multiple minimum weight and propshaft height requirements for this class depending on the motor used. Refer to the rule book for details. All of the motor options have a history of quality performance or can potentially win a National Championship. Although the Sidewinder has had only a few participants, there have been some dominant performances at a local level in the past couple of years, and it was very competitive at last years Nationals placing 3rd overall. There are advantages and disadvantages to whichever option you choose.
    25SSR would be more likened to a "C"-light, than a "B".
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Runabouts!

Sounds like you're on the right track. A 302 can also be used in 25ssr, but if you want to run BSR and 25ssr I would suggest the SW20. It will really depend on your weight. I'm a bigger guy so I run a 302 restricted in 25ssr. Happy hunting!
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

If at the Memorial Day race in Franklin, Pa. this year, you would of witnessed Rich Runne's 20s STOCK Sidewinder in BMR. http://pictures.bytesandpix.com/p/fr...spr13-138_3_20 (Pic by Garret log in with E-mail address)
        I was in the turn-2 rescue boat and watched him flat run away in the first flight till the kill switch was tripped(?), and spanked them again in the second flight. (Two Yamato Y-80's and a OMC 25MOD engines).

His Son had a good run in ASR holding a steady 2nd place pace with a STOCK Sidewinder on the heels of Billy Simmons who is one of most experienced and dominate runabout drivers....ever!.......(At least so in my 14 years experienced and nonsense'd opinion.)
        http://pictures.bytesandpix.com/p/fr...spr13-133_3_20 (Another pic by Garret).

I had heard around the beginning of the Sidewinder evolution, that the Runne team's engines are factory box STOCK and you can buy one off the back of their rigs.
        That may have change in the last couple years but it might save you shipping after a race that one of them attends.
        I was out of the game since a bad blow over at Lock Haven 2009 and have not paid much attention to the Sidewinder evolution till this season.
        Back at it again this year, I see it is competitive and reliable!

John Runne's 20 Sidewinder has been steadily gaining steam getting dialed-in and has in 20SSH AND 25SSH placed well "in the hunt", at several events including the Nationals the last few years.......John?

Personally starting out with a decent budget, I believe in my "poetic" and humble opinion, the current, in production, legal STOCK engines should give ya a ton of grins in the last lap to the checkered flag!!

Good luck and smooth waters in what ever you chose to lead with!!

PS, I look forward to competing with you IF you should chose to purchase the 20S Sidewinder and you elect to also purchase the bolt-on MODIFIED factory available kit to run it on a hydroplane in 25MOD (probationary this season) or in STOCK form in BMH (also probationary this season) into the first turn.......In my WAKE!!
        At least for the first lap and rub'n decks with ya....... to the finish!!.............>>.......
        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM.
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

As Steve said, as always my motor can be purchased right off the back of my boat for the replacement value. As I do plan on running it at the nationals, I will sell mine before racing begins only if an immediate replacement is available and there is sufficient time for me to break in the new one.
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
            Sounds like you're on the right track. A 302 can also be used in 25ssr, but if you want to run BSR and 25ssr I would suggest the SW20. It will really depend on your weight. I'm a bigger guy so I run a 302 restricted in 25ssr. Happy hunting!
            Well I have a few pounds to loose but should be around 175 - 180 by next season.

Comment

Working...
            X