Question about 20SSH & 25SSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 20SSH & 25SSH

Being someone who hopes to start racing next season I have been reading forums and the APBA rules quite a bit.

I notice that the Sidewinder 20S is used (unrestricted) in both the 20SSH & 25SSH and both classes have the same weight restrictions (ie: 400 lbs min).

Since the 25SSH is ment to be a faster class I was wondering if this engine is either over powered for the 20SSH or under power for 25SSH ? This kinda makes me question the idea of "stock" outboard racing, so if anyone can clear this up for a newbi that would be great.

The Sidewinder in 20SSh currently is competitive with most of the good Yamato rigs. Now that the bugs have been worked out, those few that own them can start concentrating props for the next stage in the evolution. Hopefully, by the end of the season, it will be proven a viable and possibly the favored option for the class in the future. In 20SSH the center of the propshaft can be no less than 1" below the bottom of the boat, in comparison to the Yamato 80 which can be raised to 1/2" below the bottom.
    In the 25SSH class, the Sidewinder can be raised to 1/2" below the bottom. The increase in speed can be surprisingly significant due to that change. The increased RPM allows you to pull a larger prop and gain 3-5 mph in top end speed. So far, participation in 25SSH with the Sidewinder has been very limited with mixed results.
    As far as your questioning of "stock" outboard. Essentially, our motors are run in their stock configuration and meet the factory specifications for that motor. Blueprinting is legal but still meet all the specs.
    The fact that we currently have two or sometimes three motor types competing within the same class, as opposed to the preferred "one motor per class" concept, is due in part to necessity and in part by design. In some classes we are, by design, transitioning from older "no longer manufactured" motors, to new available motors. This should help attract new racers to a class where they can buy competitive equipment, right out of the box. In some of our smaller classes, we have inserted the new motors to bolster participation to help retain drivers affected by the poor economy. We want to keep these people in the sport. When the economy finally does turn the corner, and growth starts to occur, we can develop a simpler direction for the future.
    I hope I've helped with some of you're confusion. We realize to an outsider some of the things we do are difficult to understand. The most important thing about boat racing though, is this is a great environment for a family to enjoy together and celebrate with many very good people.
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Hey thanks for that, I had not noticed the difference in prop depth which would allow for more speed.

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
        The Sidewinder in 20SSh currently is competitive with most of the good Yamato rigs. Now that the bugs have been worked out, those few that own them can start concentrating props for the next stage in the evolution. Hopefully, by the end of the season, it will be proven a viable and possibly the favored option for the class in the future. In 20SSH the center of the propshaft can be no less than 1" below the bottom of the boat, in comparison to the Yamato 80 which can be raised to 1/2" below the bottom.
        In the 25SSH class, the Sidewinder can be raised to 1/2" below the bottom. The increase in speed can be surprisingly significant due to that change. The increased RPM allows you to pull a larger prop and gain 3-5 mph in top end speed. So far, participation in 25SSH with the Sidewinder has been very limited with mixed results.
        As far as your questioning of "stock" outboard. Essentially, our motors are run in their stock configuration and meet the factory specifications for that motor. Blueprinting is legal but still meet all the specs.
        The fact that we currently have two or sometimes three motor types competing within the same class, as opposed to the preferred "one motor per class" concept, is due in part to necessity and in part by design. In some classes we are, by design, transitioning from older "no longer manufactured" motors, to new available motors. This should help attract new racers to a class where they can buy competitive equipment, right out of the box. In some of our smaller classes, we have inserted the new motors to bolster participation to help retain drivers affected by the poor economy. We want to keep these people in the sport. When the economy finally does turn the corner, and growth starts to occur, we can develop a simpler direction for the future.
        I hope I've helped with some of you're confusion. We realize to an outsider some of the things we do are difficult to understand. The most important thing about boat racing though, is this is a great environment for a family to enjoy together and celebrate with many very good people.
        Well said John!!
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Thanks Steve. If you catch me before noon, I can make some sense, after that I'm nothing but dazed & confused!
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Working...
          X