No announcement yet.

Stock Outboard Nationals 50 years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Outboard Nationals 50 years ago.

The newspapers estimated 25,000 people witnessed the Stock Nationals on the Charles River in Boston {Cambridge), Mass in August 1963. Most of the racers were not among them as the course was beyond a bridge a half mile from the pits. The water was lumpy, the winds disruptive and the inspectors exactingly vigilant. A new rule allowed runabouts [utilities] to have permanent front decks in lieu of the open cockpits and mandatory seating of prior years. A glitch in the rule transformation left the thickness dimension an internal one. Undeterred, chief inspector Edgar Rose was on hand with an auger bit to facilitate the scruteneering.
    Many drivers flourished over the lumps and a lot of family names became part of the Stock Outboard lore for generations. In ASH Billy Hutchins of Miami beat Charlie Erdman of Milwaukee. Herb Lamphear, Binghampton, NY was third. Hutchins scored a second title in BSH ahead of defending champion Vern Kargus of Menasha and Doug Temple, Scotland Neck, NC.
    CU defending champion Don Pontius blew over backwards. Milwaukee's Gary Stippich scored his first of three titles in a row. Melrose Mass's Larry Castegneto finished second and Joe Schulte of Playa Del Ray, Cal. third.

JU had Doug Bailey of Andover, Mass beating Barbara Frasier, Milwaukee, Shanon Bowman, Solebury , Pa and Dan Parker Windham, ME. New Yorkers dominated the 36 runabout class with George Scudder of Northport beating fellow Long Islander's Tom Pomphrey of Brentwood and Charles Knoth of Bayshore.

Duane Berghauer , Wauwatosa marked the beginning of the Berghauer dynasty with victory in CSH ahead of Baltimore's Don Christy and Hamilton, Ont.'s Mike Lundy.

Six of the twelve BU finalists would at one time be champions in the class. When the chine banging subsided, Stover Hire, Syracuse , IN captured the first of his six titles in the class. !970 winner Gerry Hedlund finished second. 1976 champion Red Yost, Pottstown third. The also-rans included " Larry Castegneto (1962), Bill Giles (CU, CSH and many other), Clark Maloof (1968, 1974), Ron Hedlund, (1960, 1961), Ernie Dawe (CU 1976, 1977, 1980 and 35SS) and Jim Brewster who was close many times.
    When the DU runabouts hit the Charles, Don Pontius regained his stride beating Garden Grove, CA's Ron Hill and Andy Kokolski Buffalo, NY.
    Russ Eckman, Theresa, WI won his first of two AU championships ahead of Newark, OH's Don Fenwick and Richmond, VA's Robert E. Lee (Abby Pond's uncle.)
    The final event of national's, DSH, featured a well publicized local hero, Larry Castegneto who figured in both the CU (losing on time) and BU races. The Charles River was roiling as Castegneto beat C Hydro Champ Berghauer and Troy, NY's Bob Viega in the first heat. As he approached the finish line in the second, he raised his fist (in victory or waved to the crowd) and promptly dumped. A few anxious seconds expired before it was announced that the uninjured Castegneto had crossed the finish line perhaps denying himself the chance to become the first ever member of Team Scott.
    broccoli

Nice report Craig. Slow at work are we? If memory serves me correctly, the original Howard Nichols finished 5th in DU. Although Castagneto has still not received his Team Scott tee shirt, he was the inaugural winner of the SSOA Saddle Award for his efforts in DSH. The award continues to highlight the annual SSOA Banquet and Larry still takes his place on stage with all previous winners.

Comment

I will post a picture of me in DU. I have never raced in water that lumpy. They would let barges though between heats.
      bill b

Comment

50 years Ago

I remember being there with my father.That was my first year of racing in JU and JSH , but did not run. Dad won a heat in ASH but had some issue in the second and ended up 3rd overall.That is hard to believe it was 50 years ago, now I do feel old, and my dad helped me in the pits last weekend, how old must he feel?

Comment

Great stuff, Craig. Looking forward to the next installments!
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Great Old National Memories

Great old Nationals posts Craig! Keep them coming. Steve, good memory about Howard W. Nichols but he actually placed 4th in DU. It was his last race as he passed away that November at age 42. The trophy is still on display in my shop. It was our first “full deck” Sid. I don’t remember any thickness holes in the deck but I sure do remember the hole in the side! 1st generation racer, Howard W. Nichols; 2nd, Pete and Bruce Nichols; 3rd, Howie and Ben Nichols; and 4th Becky Nichols. Great memories.
            Attached Files

Comment

11-C is me.
              bill b

Comment

Working...
              X