I have a yamato 102 that has an altered gearcase
    I don't have a boat to put it on.
    Just Wondering if easier to put it on a mod boat
    Instead of getting a different gearcase
    Is there a big difference in classes
    I'm sure I will take my lumps either way
    Anyway I am in Pennsylvania looking
    To find something to hang my motor on
    And get some seat time (knee time I guess )
    To get used to the whole thing
    Us running something like that out of the
    Racing setting frowned upon
    Anyway any info you have would be greatly appreciated
    The boats sound much better in person
    The videos are getting old
    Thanks in advance Jim

if you run mod with closed exhaust, then a 10ft 6in boat is fine, but with a exhaust system, a 11ft boat is better. 12ft if it is a runabout. closed or stock exhaust is good in tight corners and short courses, but longer courses, you want some type of tuned exhaust. Go to a mod race and see the systems. use a tape measure and check out the boats. good luck.

Comment

Where you located?
      Mark 55P
      Team Tower
      Hydroplane Division

Comment

Lancaster PA

Comment

What type of exhaust is best ?

Comment

Don't go to the dark side, unless you like wrenching more than racing. Put that mod foot up for trade to a stock gear foot.
            You are only a few hours from a bunch of racers, and a very active Junior program. I am only in my 2nd year, but if you give me a call, I will try to answer your questions, or point you to someone smarter than me (which is about everybody).
            Mark 55P
            Team Tower
            Hydroplane Division

Comment

csh.

I have an older csh about 11ft. located in n.j. ready to run. if your interested.

Comment

csh.

Sorry, no pics. If you go to millville photos you might see it. # 112j white csh, The boat has all hardware, BTM, make me an offer . since you might be new to the sport i'll let you have it cheap. It' just sitting in the barn.

Comment

csh

Phone # 908 797 3468

Comment

Solution

There are a lot more SCH's for sale than CMH. CMH is a great class that utilizes a stock Yamato and the only mod's allowed are the gearbox and exhaust. You can take a winning CMH engine and convert it back to stock in a very short amount of time. It is the reason CMH is such a strong class. You can race Modified and when you want to trade off, you can sell the engine to a stocker with no issues, or as a mod with no issues.

Here is my suggestion to you. If you are going to just lake race for now, don't worry which gearbox you have on. Don't worry if it is a stock or a mod boat. Do get some advice for setting up the boat you chose so that it is predictable, and more safe than a race set up. Next step, go have FUN !! Don't worry about mod or stock, get your seat time, and have FUN !

Once you decide you want to race, you can decide which way you want to go. You can race CMH pretty much anywhere in the country, same as CSH. Either choice you make is sure to be the best ride you ever had in a boat !
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

2 cents

C Stock Hydro is one of the most popular classes, you can run a stock rig in mod. You are almost guaranteed that you will race everywhere you go.

CMH can be hit or miss depending on the region, there is lots of help around, just let us know where you are...

Comment

jmartin1020,

your right down the road from me. I'm right next to Marcus hook pa. any questions feel free to give me a call 215-776-6701 or send a pm. might even have a stock gear case for sale, if i can find it.
                        spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

Giles Hydro

I have a Giles hydro fully rigged that would make a good CMH....it has been run successfully as a 125 hydro. The boat is located in CT. If interested let me know.....

David

Comment

Thanks for all the responses
                            Sounds like the sensible thing is to go
                            C stock
                            But that would go against everything I stand for
                            I can't get enough of the loud whine of the mod exhaust
                            And the crazy looking mid sections
                            If anybody has used 102 mod parts
                            I would be interested
                            I am hoping to tinker and get some seat time
                            And then make it to the races and meet
                            Some of you guys
                            Thanks again Jim

Comment

Good Choice

In addition, the exhaust on a Yamto C, is usually acceptable on local lakes as well. Around me it is anyways. I imagine that would vary in some places, but it is no louder than a bass boat.

Give Cliff Jhonson a call, he has kits available for a very reasonable cost. I think for under $500 you can get hooked up completely. His kit wins races and is readily available. He also has those super fancy down housings you are talking about.

Another option is Lee Tietz of Machined Components. Not sure if he still is doing the exhaust stuff, but he still does towers and they are pretty sweet.

Or, build one !!! Easy and cheap to build a stick tower. If you know of a good welder and machinist, you can build one for well under a $200 bucks. That is with you doing all the cutting and prep work.

Have fun !! It is worth it.
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X