White Spruce info??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Spruce info??

I have come across some very nice boards. I was told they are spruce. I have worked with quite a bit of Sitka Spruce....enough to know they are not Sitka Spruce...unfortunately...but are very beautiful boards. They have stayed laser straight with no 'cup' whatsoever.
    They are pale in comparison to Sitka, the grain is similar to Sitka, just not quite as straight. While I am not positive, I believe them to be White Spruce. Does anyone have any experience with White Spruce? Or better yet, does anyone think it is suitable for stringer stock for runabouts. Runabouts that will see some rough water. (Top'O ).

I know some very intelligent builders frequent HR and am hoping to hear.....'Heck yea Mark, this wood is near perfect for runabouts, or do I just have some nice boards. Thanks in advance.

White Spruce

Mark,
    here is a link I have used for reference before on wood propertys.
    All data on wood is an average so each piece could be stronger or weaker depending on a lot of variables. Look at the bottom of the web page for spruce numbers
    http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm
    Gene Schertz 26V
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll
    Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Sounds like it could be Engleman Spruce.. I use it all the time but my source dried up.. Very nice to work with and is also used to make high end Guitars.
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Use It

If your framing is good coverage the strength will be just fine. it takes a lot less than one might think for stringers. Just needs to be laid out right.

I have used a lot of different woods over the years, and white pine is always strong enough. Heavier than spruce, yes. But it is strong enough. A 2x4 cut to size will work. Just make sure your skins are properly re-enforced. Which wood I use depends on the weight I want the boat to be.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

The two new boats I just built I used poplar for the all the framing which when I compared it to sticka spruce it had about the same properties. I usually use obecce but couldnt get it. I only use a 4 mil bottom in all but the last 20 inches so the frame work takes a beating as the load isnt spread out. So far I have run the red whit and blue boat in pretty rough water with no issues. I can get poplar local and its cheap so will use that from now on.
          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Popular

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
            The two new boats I just built I used poplar for the all the framing which when I compared it to sticka spruce it had about the same properties. I usually use obecce but couldnt get it. I only use a 4 mil bottom in all but the last 20 inches so the frame work takes a beating as the load isnt spread out. So far I have run the red whit and blue boat in pretty rough water with no issues. I can get poplar local and its cheap so will use that from now on.
            George,

I used that in boats before as well, you are right, it does just fine. It held up to a 750 and 850CCH. I had one issue once with it, I bouth some finished type boards from Lowes, and used them. Apparently they were fresh and not kiln dried. I was new to the build scene then, and didn't think the stringy sawdust meant anything when cutting. Well once the wood was encapsulated with epoxy it was all sealed in. Boat sitting in pits in the sun dried the popular from the heat, and we all know when water decides to expand, there is nothing that will hold it back. Seams split and I had to go back through and seal the seams with epoxy.

Lesson, no matter what wood you use, make sure the moisture content is low. In my tests, popular is roughly 12% heavier in 3/4 x 3/4 stringers. Of course that varies with batches.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Replies to my question.

Thank-you everyone. I never thought of Englemann Spruce. I know that it is quite a premium on Martins. These boards are plainsawn and have stayed very flat.
              A little more info that someone will surely appreciate. I recieved these boards through a friend and also a relative of Lowell Schumacher. I was told he ran alky and built boats as well. This was wood that was from a boat builders shop.
              Maybe someone will chime in and correct me if I botched the Gentleman's last name.

Comment

Also.... is most everyone in agreement that its suitable for a Top'O specific runabout.? To be read 'rough water'

Comment

I used poplar for a Hal Kelly Airborne a couple of years ago and was very satisfied with it. I got it from a cabinet maker so it was good quality and was pretty nice to work with. I haven't put the boat through very much so I can't comment on strength but it was fairly high on the chart. The boat is a lake racer so I don't expect to put it through much however.
                  kk

Comment

Working...
                  X