55H/402X Watertube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55H/402X Watertube

I have a 402X tower that need to make/get a water tube that goes from the foot to the lower cowl of a 55H. What size tube should I use for this application and how long are they without any bends?

Any advice/tricks of the trade in making one would be appreciated as well.

Doug S.

Water tube

No idea, unbent.

1/2" copper tubing, bend carefully with one of those spring things to avoid kinks. Be sure it seats all way up in whatever adapter and extends down to shoulder in gearcase, to prevent it dropping, losing water to powehead.

Oops, bad thing.

Also bend it so it doesn't block exhaust relief.

Stock method of seal was metal ring above and rubber ring below on tube. When gearcase pulled up, it squashed the rubber ring, expanding it in bore. Or just Silicone seal it.

Same method applies to 55H.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Comment

Water Pipe Dimensions

Here's a quick print of the water pipe in my 402xs. I happened to have it out right now so I made a quick model and print. The overall length is 13 inches if measured after bending. If you make the tube, bend it and then cut it off that would be easier. The tube centerlines are offset a half an inch, if you measure it with a square, the total offset is one inch from outside to outside as shown in the print.

The shape of the top part of the tube is also exactly the same as the Mercury 500 long shaft tube but (obviously) shorter. If you have a Merc 500 tube you can cut 6.5 inches off of it and that will be exactly the same.

Hope that helps
      Attached Files

Comment

Perfect information guys! I appreciate the help. It won't be long now.

Comment

Well I bought the tubing, 1/2" and just now realized it was 1/2" I.D., not O.D that I should have bought. The 1/2 copper tubing I bought has a 5/8" O.D. Back to the hardware store. I have had trouble finding a bender for the 1/2", but the 3/8" I.D., 1/2" O.D. benders are readily available.

Newbie learning curve.

Doug S.
          Last edited by dndsam; 05-30-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

No big deal

Comment

Working...
            X