Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

At Silver Lake my 102 mod engine got up to 406 degrees. I may have picked a Lilly pad as I did see a couple floating around. After looking at a number of like motors I noticed that the water discharge hose runs up higher then I have put mine. My question is, Does this discharge hose have to be routed higher than the top cylinder? thanks in advance for you help.

Jack711R

By routing it higher you help assure that the maximum amount of water is around the top cylinder. Jack

Comment

Yes!

Exactly what Jack said. Also with your discharge port being the highest possible point you'll prevent any air pockets from forming in the water jacket which will also cause overheating.
      Gardner Miller
      Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
      Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

heat

Thanks guys. I plan on making the changes today. You have been a big help!!!

Jack711R

Comment

Try pulling your head off and inspecting for scaling /corrosion build up. Scaling is not the end all to be all as a reason for heat build up but it will contribute to heat retention. Just as an FYI after every weekend of racing I disconnect the bottom discharge hose on my 302 and let the it drain.

Good Luck !

Sam

Comment

Replace your head gasket. when they get that hot they're usually compromised
            Sean Byrne

Comment

Jack,
              You may also want to ensure that your tuner pipe is properly set in the tower, with about .005" clearance UNDER the top of the tower, never higher than the mating surface to the gasket.
              Also, you may want to lap the exhaust manifold mating surfaces from the manifold to the cylinder block, and replace that gasket. There is also a relief hole on the bottom of the block, its about .117 in diameter, so ensure that hole is clear. This may be specific to the 302, I've had little experience with the 102s and I am not sure if it is on the 102.
              28-R

Comment

Originally posted by HydroKyle93R View Post
                Jack,
                You may also want to ensure that your tuner pipe is properly set in the tower, with about .005" clearance UNDER the top of the tower, never higher than the mating surface to the gasket.
                Also, you may want to lap the exhaust manifold mating surfaces from the manifold to the cylinder block, and replace that gasket. There is also a relief hole on the bottom of the block, its about .117 in diameter, so ensure that hole is clear. This may be specific to the 302, I've had little experience with the 102s and I am not sure if it is on the 102.
                uh...Kyle, Jack is refering to his 102 MOD motor..........if he is running a tuner AND pipe.....I gotta see that.......LOL..........Castle Rock was kind bumpy, so coulda been the motor was too high or the water pickup was obstructed...............I have also seen very POORLY installed nose cones for the water inlet installed and feathered in and not letting water in adequately.......

anyways, off to Mose Lake...............
                Last edited by mercguy; 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM.
                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

OK forget the tuner lol, but the water holes are still there.
                  28-R

Comment

Working...
                  X