Piano wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
    mike get hold of rick keller he orderd us our 1/4" shear pins under my rude they hold up fantastic under my 9" dia props,,,, no need for wire just good lock washer ,,, no worries
    Cheyney I have no problem with the 1/4 stuff..Its that pesky 3/16 stuff that did not hold up.. We will try the wire and see what happens
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

The number John gave you is the right number. 8907K18 You will not have a problem with this. If you are using a spacer in the prop, just make sure it is a good snug fit.

Comment

McMaster Carr probably wonders why the big run suddenly on Piano wire

Comment

Thats the problem!

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          Cheyney I have no problem with the 1/4 stuff..Its that pesky 3/16 stuff that did not hold up.. We will try the wire and see what happens
          Mike if you are trying to use a 3/16 pin on a Yamato shaft, that is the problem. All shafts from units made abroad are METRIC! 5 mm to be exact, If you use a smaller pin (3/16), in a 5 mm hole it will shear. It is very important that 1. pin and hole in shaft are good with NO slop, just enough clearance to put it pin. 2. Do not over tighten the prop as (like Steve said) it will do one of two things, distort the pin and fail, or crack the shaft at pin hole and fail loosing your prop. And never use a electric impact wrench installing a prop as this hammering effect will kill the gears. Shafts drilled to 1/4 are loosing about 20% or more of their strength and you cannot try just anyones props then. We have run 5 mm pins in pro for as long as I can remember and always when I see a failure it is from the above guy's doing the wrong thing or and combination of them all. Titainum does not have good shear strength that is why it fails, Roller bearings are too hard and they fail, Music wire is a low grade spring steel and will last a good while and rivets last because by their vary nature have good shear strength. so Good holes, tight fits on pins and don't over tighten them, and you should be good to go. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve77t View Post
            Mike if you are trying to use a 3/16 pin on a Yamato shaft, that is the problem. All shafts from units made abroad are METRIC! 5 mm to be exact, If you use a smaller pin (3/16), in a 5 mm hole it will shear. It is very important that 1. pin and hole in shaft are good with NO slop, just enough clearance to put it pin. 2. Do not over tighten the prop as (like Steve said) it will do one of two things, distort the pin and fail, or crack the shaft at pin hole and fail loosing your prop. And never use a electric impact wrench installing a prop as this hammering effect will kill the gears. Shafts drilled to 1/4 are loosing about 20% or more of their strength and you cannot try just anyones props then. We have run 5 mm pins in pro for as long as I can remember and always when I see a failure it is from the above guy's doing the wrong thing or and combination of them all. Titainum does not have good shear strength that is why it fails, Roller bearings are too hard and they fail, Music wire is a low grade spring steel and will last a good while and rivets last because by their vary nature have good shear strength. so Good holes, tight fits on pins and don't over tighten them, and you should be good to go. Steve
            9/16 shaft with a 3/16 hole..Nice and snug

Comment

Working...
            X