No announcement yet.

Need Tohatsu help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the motors are exactly the same they will run the same. The problem is that getting them the same is almost impossible.
    Larry Mac

Comment

Same...

Yup, I'm with Larry.

Ain't no magic dust in there, just attention to detail.

Jerry

Comment

Motor

Talked with Alex today....he gave me some more tips on what to look for......dave

Comment

I know zip about the motor. However, could it be a cyl sleeve problem?
          bill b

Comment

Motor

It is very possible there is something internal....could be a twisted crank, sleeve problem, you name it. The crank is pressed together..something I am going to check when I get back from a short vacation. Dave

Comment

It has been common practice to tack weld pressed together crankshafts on performance Japanese motorcycle cranks. Should this be done with the Tohatsu as well? I don't know much about them either but I am going to win the raffle so I better learn.
              kk

Comment

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
                It has been common practice to tack weld pressed together crankshafts on performance Japanese motorcycle cranks. Should this be done with the Tohatsu as well? I don't know much about them either but I am going to win the raffle so I better learn.
                kk
                Yes, this should be done with the Tohatsu as well. This item was covered earlier in this thread.
                :-)

Comment

Tohatsu dog

Make sure you don't have one of those squeeze bulbs in your fuel line. How many times have we seen people chasing gremlins and to finally eliminate a faulty bulb/check valve that was restricting the fuel flow ! Also check all fuel lines for restriction. Always check the cheap and simple stuff first. JGW 1CW

Comment

Originally posted by glen wesanko View Post
                    Make sure you don't have one of those squeeze bulbs in your fuel line. How many times have we seen people chasing gremlins and to finally eliminate a faulty bulb/check valve that was restricting the fuel flow ! Also check all fuel lines for restriction. Always check the cheap and simple stuff first. JGW 1CW
                    I will second that. The first race I went to with my D mod they told me to get rid of it..Causes nothing but headaches
                    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by glen wesanko View Post
                      not so fast Glenn...................if you use a GOOD primer bulb (OMC makes the best ones), you will not have those problems....people that use the cheap ass bulbs (Tempo, Sierra, Napa, etc) will have the problems...............I use OMC primer bulbs on ALL my motors and have NEVER had a problem with them and either have all the rigs/boats (hundreds of them!!) I have set of with them either...............if they will survive behind a 300hp outboard, then our little 60hp and less motors will not have a problem either..........as they as they run a vacuum operated fuel pump.

its when people use cheap ass ****, is when they have problems......................
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Squeeze bulb

I used a Tohatsu squeeze bulb..worked fine until it was involved in an accident. Now I use a Shrader valve and pressurize the tank...works fantastic

Comment

Not so fast Daren.... Your primer bulbs must be really old because "OMC" is no more! Its BRP now and there bulbs are OK in my opinion. The no fail bulb would be Honda! I sell hundreds of BRP and Honda fuel lines every year and Honda wins! Why would anybody want to run a restrictive valve on a race motor anyway??? I don't sell very many 300 hp motors, but don't they all have the same lift pump pressure? I do agree on the aftermarket stuff, its pure garbage they will all fail! Just had to share my professional opinion and experience.

Comment

I’ve found that if you squeeze the throttle all the way open, it will run faster… ; )

On a serious note, I’ve heard that the chokes on those things can bounce around and close or partially close sometimes. Maybe a stiffer spring…

Comment

Originally posted by Fihn176R View Post
                              Not so fast Daren.... Your primer bulbs must be really old because "OMC" is no more! Its BRP now and there bulbs are OK in my opinion. The no fail bulb would be Honda! I sell hundreds of BRP and Honda fuel lines every year and Honda wins! Why would anybody want to run a restrictive valve on a race motor anyway??? I don't sell very many 300 hp motors, but don't they all have the same lift pump pressure? I do agree on the aftermarket stuff, its pure garbage they will all fail! Just had to share my professional opinion and experience.
                              Honda??? **** Tim, you must be a glutton for punishment down there....LOL!!!! Hey, when ya coming racing with us?????

OMC, BRP......ya know I meant......................lol......my OMC (BRP) bulb has won many DSH races for me.....
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
                                Yes, this should be done with the Tohatsu as well. This item was covered earlier in this thread.
                                :-)
                                Oop's, guess I should have re-read the thread.
                                kk

Comment

Working...
                                X