Merc 35a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 35a

I have a chance to buy a Merc 35 a short shaft. It's all there and in good shape. Has not been run in some time but was stored carefully. What's it worth and how different is it from the 35 H aside from the fear foot.

What's a Merc 35A? Did you mean Mark 35A? If you did mean Mark 35A, it's a 40 cubic inch motor with low ports and small carbs.

What's a 35 H?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

35a

This is a 1959 Merc , the A is for anniversary model. it is a "newer" version of the Mark 55 fishing motor. It is 40 cubic inch . It is Larger in displacement than the 30 H. The powerhead could be used to build a 55H , nothing below the powerhead is the same as the H model. Save it for a classis pleasure boat,

Comment

mercury

Sorry...lateness of the hour. It's a Mercury Mark 35A. I believe the Mark 35H is the racing version.

Comment

According to knowledgable motor builders the 35A blocks are about the best for a modified 40 cube engine. NBRA still runs a class for the 40's but APBA discontinued these about 20 years ago. It doesn't really matter what the configuration of the ports are in these blocks since you're going to cut them anyway. They can run quite well even against the 44's but parts are scarce if you really are serious about building a really competitive one.

Comment

mark 35

thanks for the reply. I was thinking more a nostalgia motor for my own use. I know these motors are getting harder to find. I was wondering what it might be worth. It is being offered for sale locally and from the photos, appears to be in good condition. It does not have either the controls, or electric start.

Comment

35a

I agree with Fast Jack and you. This is a good nostalgic engine for a "not so large" pleasure boat. No one seems to want to say what it's worth, but i will say if it was just a motor with junk foot i would give 50 bucks , and around maybe 400 for one in the shape you are looking at.

Take off the wrap a round, and look at the exhaust cover to see if any sign of overheating , the paint will burn or wrinkle alot if it has had cooling issues. Remember if you do buy it to replace the impeller as the older one may pump at low speed but won't pump well at W.O.T.

Maybe even check the lower unit grease too.

I am not sure if this engine came as manual but if electric start was option. the lower shroud would have a big wiring terminal plug on the starboard side.

And I think the controls you would need are double cable, one for shift and other for throttle, good ones of these the right lengths are getting scarce too.
              best o luck
              Pete
              Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

Mark 35

Thanks for the reply. The owner is asking 400. One of my concerns is fuel lines and the availability of gaskets. I'm going to have a look anyway.

Comment

35a

The value of something is always what the market will bear. I agree with Pete. Back when I was in the business, one of those motors with all the controls, in good running condition would bring around $400.
                  The market for those motors is pretty narrow. It's a shortshaft, not too many shortshaft boats anymore. It's likely set up for controls, most people shopping for a motor that size want a tiller handle. Oh and it's about 50 years old.
                  When I was in the business, I came across a couple of these. I swapped the 40ci powerhead for that of a 44. In my opinion, the 35A blocks make the best racing blocks for a 40ci engine. But there are different theories about that, and none of them are nesesarily wrong.
                  PS, the 40ci block will read "thunderbolt" on the side. The 44 will read "super thunderbolt"
                  Last edited by jeff55v; 04-24-2013, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I have a few of the 40" fishing motors in my shop in various levels of completeness. They are good running motors. The 35A has flat top pistons in it. If it is in good shape I might pay $200 for it but generally no more than a $100. Controls are going to cost about $100 without cables. Cables are no longer available and are hard to find in good condition. OMC cables that are still being made can be modified to work but you will need the original Mercury ends. They will cost you $30 to $40 depending on length. A nice motor for an old classic boat.
                    kk
                    Attached Files

Comment

Black box has stiff, almost frozen cables and has some corrosion on case. $100.00 plus shipping.

White box works great, both cables smooth, about 12 foot cables. $175.00 plus shipping from Oregon.

I also have electric starters from a 300 and 400 Merc.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X