Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old photo identification

Hello,

We know this race was in Gibraltar, MI, but are trying to figure out what approx. year and who are some of the racers?

If we can get the information ASAP, it may go into a book being created about the area.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dean
    12M(but not the 12M pictured)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by csh12M; 04-14-2013, 09:45 AM.

We can read, 151M & 71M, but there appears to be a couple of boats hidden.
    How about the ppl on the dock, patrol boats, or residents?
    Attached Files
    Brett L. 156M

Comment

guessing it was a Trenton Outboard Racing Club sponsored race.
      Attached Files
      Brett L. 156M

Comment

There is more room in the trunk of that Cadillac, then most of them trailers have.
        Attached Files
        Brett L. 156M

Comment

The picture was a donation to the Gibraltar Historical Museum.
          They turned to me, to tell them what was going on, & why.
          The curator, not knowing what we do, thought that with that big of a gathering, it must of been a special event, such as a 4th of July celebration or something comparable.
          She would like to include this picture in their upcoming publication, but needs to submit a draft very soon, but won't submit the picture without explanation.
          WITH your help, I thing we can give her a full page of explanation, but i'd like to have the names / boat numbers of anybody that participated in this event, whether they are in the photo, or not.
          (Yes, I've been in contact with APBA, & they have done what they could).

Your help is sincerely appreciated
          Brett 156M
          Attached Files
          Brett L. 156M

Comment

B21m

Dean/Brett,

Post it on the MHRA Facebook page as well. I'm 95% sure that B21M is Fred Schwartz and he is a 'member' of the MHRA Facebook page. I know Fred ran almost exclusively marathons in those days as well. Maybe he can chime in.

Mark

Comment

Have you checked with R.C. Hawie, our racing historian in AOMCI? He might have some answers.

Comment

Not sure about this but Rob France has had split trailer boxes like that white one for sometime. No idea, but I've always thought they stood out.

Graham 18ce
                Team Canada - ThunderCat
                @FralickRacing
                www.teamcanadathundercat.weebly.com
                Get us to the Worlds - Cornwall, UK 2013
                ----
                Graham18ce
                Team Canada ThunderCat
                Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                Twitter @FralickRacing
                Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Graham 18ce View Post
                  Not sure about this but Rob France has had split trailer boxes like that white one for sometime. No idea, but I've always thought they stood out.
                  Ron France? Your right about the trailer, but I can't picture him in a runabout, or running a marathon. But I will check it out, thank you for the inputs.

sent a PM to R.C. Hawie, ty
                  Last edited by Brett L. Pruett; 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM.
                  Brett L. 156M

Comment

Agreed, seemed out of place but that trailer has me.

Graham18ce
                    Team Canada - ThunderCat
                    @FralickRacing
                    www.teamcanadathundercat.weebly.com
                    www.gofundme.com/team-canada
                    ----
                    Graham18ce
                    Team Canada ThunderCat
                    Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                    Twitter @FralickRacing
                    Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Bret,Try Ken Sugamosto.

Comment

Brett,

First, this is really cool!
                        I did recognize a couple of boats that are good buddies of my dad, Larry Herman, 34-M from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI. at that time and not pictured. He won this race in ASR. I had him check out the page. We have just gone through this evening to see what we could come up with. He will forward the thread to Fred Schwartz who is the B-21-M and Jim Zimmerman 79-M who put on the race. They should be able to verify more as well and hopefully are able to respond to the page or I will post any info that I hear from them… We believe that the first boat to the right in the photo is the 79-M of Zimmerman from Gibraltar. Believe his father’s house is one of the homes across the street.
                        This was a fifty mile Stock Outboard marathon from Gibraltar to Lake Erie around 1970/71 put on by Zimmerman and T.O.R.C. the Trenton Outboard Racing Club.
                        The racer in red shirt with his back to the camera is 72-M, Nyle Stierna from Grosse Isle, MI. He built the Nyle Craft Boats which is also one that Zimmerman has there.. Then Fred Schwartz, 21-M, Schwartz Craft boat built by his father Joe Schwartz. We are not sure who the 178-M BSR is yet. Hopefully find out soon and hopefully have some more info on the next two boats. 12-M, DSR at the time was Bob Broge from the Wyandotte MI. area. Not sure about the X being on the boat. Possibly someone borrowing the boat…To bad this was not up a few weeks ago. I just saw and talked with Bob Broge at a race in Parker, AZ a couple of weeks ago…
                        The red shoe boat or banana boat as it was called, I could never forget. That is the CSR, 71-M of Ed Kenny from Detroit MI. We are guessing that the CSR boat pitted next to him would most likely be his brother in-law Don Hutson, 61-M from Mt Clemens MI.
                        The BSR 151-M is Jim Lang from Grosse Isle, MI.

Hopefully we will be able to get the accurate dates and other winners from this race from Schwartz and Zimmerman...
                        Fred Schwartz may even possibly have some more photos of the race. His father, Joe often took many photos at all the races…

I was pretty young at the time of this race and not sure if I was even there, but remember all of these guys and how close of friends they all were to each other… My dad had also mentioned that a short time after this race, Gibraltar had a bad flood and that Zimmerman’s basement with all his racing equipment stored in it, boats, motors… was filled in with mud and water. After they all had heard this, he and many of the guys that had attended this race went over to Zimmerman’s house to help clean up his basement and all his racing equipment…

Hope this will all help out. I will post any other info that I hear…

Tim Herman
                        9-C

Comment

Hi Tim

I thought around late 60's-early 70's based on the cars and what looks like a whaler in the background-Good to here from you Tim-tell your dad I said hi.

Kerry

Comment

The 178M, I think may be Nick Thomas from Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacre3M View Post
                              The 178M, I think may be Nick Thomas from Detroit.
                              The 71M may be Ed Kenny, but Bill Lawton of Huntington Woods also ran that number in the late 60's in 36 class.

Comment

Working...
                              X