Racer Icon Clyde Bayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racer Icon Clyde Bayer

It is my understanding , that Clyde Bayer Passed away last night 3/27. Clyde was an icon in the mod division, he also developed and sold the Bayer exhaust and down housings and many other parts for mod engines. He will be missed. Our condolences to his family
    Jeff

Words fail me

RIP

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Bayer family at this time. Clyde truly was an icon in boat racing.

Melissa and Mark
      Team O-49

Comment

My friend, my mentor, my competitor. for the past 60 years. Thanks Clyde for all those good sessions sitting on the coolers in the parking lots of the motels! We will miss you!
        B BURT

Comment

I first met Clyde and his son Kenny in the late 60's after getting back into racing upon completion of a 10 year Boat Racing layoff, and as Jeff Ruth stated in the 1st post, he certainly was an icon, in what at the time was called Super Stock racing sanctioned by AOF in its first years of operation after coming on the scene when NOA floundered. Clyde, with other long time racers in the Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas area, was a founding father and very instrumental in getting AOF off the ground.

What some who are not aware of, who did not know Clyde in that time frame, was that Kenny was equally fast with Konigs on "alky" maintained and massaged by Clyde and campaigned in the B & D classes that were run at that time by the Oklahoma club. He was equally adept at keeping the early 4 cyl rotary valve motors running at their best, as he did with the Super Stock motors of the time, and with Kenny doing his usual masterful job of driving, won many races as an "alky driver".

RIP Clyde and sympathy to the Bayer family from Eileen and I.

Comment

Goodby Clyde

Seen several sunups with Clyde after Sat. night partys that went just a little bit to long. He partyed hard and raced hard. The Bayers were the racers that I measured my abilities against. Thanks for the good times. Kenny and family I will never forget him. He trully was what boat racing was about.
            Art Kampen

Comment

All the best to the Bayers...

Comment

The new 44 I put together this winter has a set of Bayer pipes. Good 40 years ago still good today. I have 2 other 44s both have Bayer pipes, 2 have his spray shields.
                Art K

Comment

Kenny, our prayers go out to you and your family, your father was a good friend of mine and will be missed.

Hall Racing Y-51

Comment

Kenny thoughts and prayers to you and all your family from the Snider's. I will tell you a funny story about Clyde I was 9 years old and my dad built me a J hydro with a Martin motor.We was down in Oklahoma at a race and I took my J boat out and thought I was really flying came in and Clyde came up to me and said if you want to win a race go the other way around the course,when I was testing I was going the wrong way around.Man did I ever get teased by him as I grew older,I sure am going to miss the teasing RIP Clyde

Comment

Super nice family.. I met he and Kenny at my first time in a boat at
                      Eufala, Ok.. I remember that Kenny stuck a piston in his C motor and Clyde
                      chimed in.. " So much for that exotic timing".

Comment

Words Fail

Some of my best memories are racing with the Bayers. I am so thankful for seeing them again at a race last season.

God speed Clyde....
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Condolences to a great Racer

Words cannot discribe Clyde Bayer, he and Kenny were first class competitors. I only met Clyde a few times in our path of racing, but he left a huge and postive impression with me. Clyde, you will be missed.

Mike O'Brien

Comment

Just learned this, Clyde was a 'one off the mold' kind and he left a legacy. We helped he and Doc Miller years ago and here we are again today as we try to help host and event here on Pigeon Creek that Clyde had a hand in starting years ago.

On of the best stories on Clyde was buying all, yes all, of those Chrysler pistons to run in Mercury blocks. He was an innovator in your sport. He had all types in his bag of tricks.

I last spoke to Kenny in late February and Clyde was doing fine then. We are very sorry to hear of his passing.

Kenny, Charlene (Conrad) and the rest of the family our thoughts and prayers are with you all. You have a marine heritage to live on and you will do fine.

Rick Pierce
                            Bass Cat & Yar-Craft Boats
                            Mountain Home, Arkansas

Comment

Sentiments exactley, Kenney helped Doc and me secure a spot in the Tulsa Boat show this year, in hope of getting new bllod in our sport. Kenney has contributed money for for the "Thunder in in the Park" race in June.
                              We will have a High Points Clyde Bayer trophy in honer of the man.
                              Charlene was always great finding me parts for my 6 Cyl Mercs., and I have a Bayer tower and Pipes that should probably go on the mantle.

Comment

Working...
                              X