Jon Culver - 1952 Penn Yan display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Culver - 1952 Penn Yan display

When attending the Grand Rapids,Mi. boat show I came across a display that I had to share with everyone here on Hydro Racer. This boat/engine display was a period correct 1952 Penn Yan race boat from Jon Culvers personal fleet of race boats. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Tom L.

Throttle

The throttle is interesting AND scary........... at the same time!!
    The tiller steering/throttle set-up was stock. Many racers removed them for racing. I have several pictures of marathon boats from this era that left them on even thou they were not used. This boat had a hydro throttle in it but the strange thing was it was on the right side of the cockpit mounted on a board. You can see were the boat at one time had a deck throttle as the cutout is still evident in the pictures.
    Last edited by Tomtall; 02-18-2013, 03:51 AM.
    Tom L.

Comment

My first boat was a 1952 Penn Yan 11' lightining..I think they made a 10' also. Ran a kg-7 with a standard lower on it. We ran this class in Ct. before we joined APBA. If u look carefully at the extended center transom knee, it has a bolt thru it to the bottom. this was to adjust the amount of "hook" in the bottom. The boat was beautifully built like a canoe with a canvas covering...thing's have come a long way

Comment

Those tiller handles bring big bucks now because they were mostly taken off and discarded, lost etc. KG7 lower shrouds fall into the same deal.
        kk

Comment

Very nice.
          Bob

Comment

Steve I know where there are a set of those pipes with the cowlings to match.
            Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

All I can is WOW ! thanks once again Tom for sharing this piece of history.

Sam,

Comment

Those photos brought back fond memories. As a teenager I raced with Jon and Dean Chenoweth being from the Dayton area. Both of these guys fathers were a hoot. Dean's dad always had a big roll of money in his white coveralls. He would wade in up to his beltline and the money was always wet. Merlyn Culver was also a character. Jon had a sister, Marilyn, who we all were quite interested in. All these folks were fun to be around. Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                  Those photos brought back fond memories. As a teenager I raced with Jon and Dean Chenoweth being from the Dayton area. Both of these guys fathers were a hoot. Dean's dad always had a big roll of money in his white coveralls. He would wade in up to his beltline and the money was always wet. Merlyn Culver was also a character. Jon had a sister, Marilyn, who we all were quite interested in. All these folks were fun to be around. Jack
                  Between my junior and senior years in high school, I went to the Hobart Welding School in Troy. The Miami River ran through town and they had an open test day on Tuesdays so I took the race boats down and did some testing. That always drew a crowd and had a lot of people relaying Dean Chenowith stories as I guess they had that test period instated so that he had a place close to home to test. That would have been in '66 and am not sure if Dean was driving anything then.

Comment

Working...
                  X