Vintage Picture Found - 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Picture Found - 1964

Just found this old picture after 30 years of being in the bottom of a box. I wonder how many remember these two?
    Attached Files

Doug Bailey - 40 B & Peter Crowley - 29 A ????
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

one of em

Dan

Don't I remember you last running 29A when you came back ????

I think i remember seeing that number on a C utility Castecraft, (upside down!), on the front stretch and the old Haverhill race?

Pete
      Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

Doug Bailey 49B & Danny Parker 29A

Actually it was 1963. Bailey drove 1US in 1964 & 1965

Comment

I'm not old enough to know, like you guys. I just threw that out there!
          John Runne
          2-Z

Comment

Not old at all.......

John

I only knew because that was my rookie year and I followed those two every weekend. I am not that old either, I am just young for my age.

Comment

Steve,
              you are right, I saw the patch on the right rear chine and thought it was '64 but the patch occurred as a result of the '63 Nationals on the Charles River, so.. this has to be the fall Lowell race in 1963. Unfortunately for Doug, I beat him in all but 1 or 2 races after the nationals that year including the race at Lowell and the last race of the year in late Sept. in New Jersey. Hartley wasn't too happy with us after that.

Pete,
              why do you have to remember the Haverhill race? LOL. I ran the number 29 form the time I started up to the present time frame. 1959-1960, I ran 29W which at time stood for Westbrook. Then to 29-A until the early 80's. Started here in Texas with 29T until I went to 1US and 1T. I remember the flip in Haverhill, torn the steering wheel off the runabout and came up with it in the water. By the way that was only 2nd flip ever for me. But if you recall I got in fixed and "Racer" Bill Allen ran it for me on Sunday and waxed you.

Comment

The fall Lowell (Massachusetts) race in 1963 was my first race! My brother ran AU that weekend....

Peter Crowley
                Last edited by B1PRORACER; 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

What motors are those? They look like KF-5's. J class.

Comment

Jeff- I think the fast guys ran the newer Mark5 (or Super5) engines. I had a KF5 engine at first...then a Mark5. I never realized (I was young) that there were two different gear ratios available. I still have one of my old KF5 engines.

Comment

I wish my father knew about the two gear ratio's. Me and Sled must have been running the wrong one!
                      John Runne
                      2-Z

Comment

I know what you mean! At least your Dad was a racer! My family was just getting into racing. My racing program really started in 1964 with a "Pop Smith" JU prop ("one prop...no need for more!"). Then my Dad built a Castagneto JU boat. We lived in Larry's town (Melrose) and he gave my Dad the dimensions of Doug Bailey's JU boat. Unfortunately, my Dad believed in making it strong.... I had a 120# JU boat that was almost a foot too long! Talk about STOCK outboard, we raced the engine just the way we got it -if it was already worn out, then we raced it warn out! Gear ratio... we ran whatever was in the engine when we got it!

Comment

I still have two of them one is the one my Sister ran in J Hydro
                          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Working...
                          X