Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "UNofficial" plan Z for APBA Stock

The “UNofficial” Proposal Z

Looking at stock from the outside in now, this is what I came up with. No, it is not ideas conceived from the depths of my trailer box, because I don’t have a trailer box anymore. It is simply a suggestion to be debated about and hopefully break the back of tradition in the sport; and while doing so, spark some interest that yields growth.

All classes
    3 heats / 4 laps
    If there's eliminations then have one heat final one heat conciliation otherwise average all three heats

Raise entry fees per class to make-up for lost entrees

Have 12 lap hydro and runabout marathons with lemans start, handicaps, driver change, gas etc

Have class committees maintain parity, while making current production engine dominant

Allow any engine for the class that was previously legal to run, as long as it does not out perform the currently available dominant engine. Ex(KG4H, KG7H, 20H, 30H, 40H etc) These engines & boats must pass safety inspection fro the day.

Have exciting, experienced announcers that are educated in racing

Have a manned information booth/table at every race for perspective newbies to inquire. Have free, informative materials to give these people with links to websites.

Shorten program while maintaining boat time

Make program more exciting to watch AND participate in

Encourage tighter competition

Simplify the rulebook for gosh sake

Make certain, that all parts for all current production engines are readily available to anyone, anytime.

Have more live streaming of races and upload these files to youtube and APBA site.

Change ancient heat format and course layout to something like this, which enables closer competition (Or maybe someone has a better idea, as long as it tightens up competition)

New competition course layout:

Extra turn buoy on milling end of course outside of center turn buoy or middle of turn

After the first turn and each lap there after, the lead boat at that turn for that lap has to go around extra buoy

If there is any overlap what so ever between the first boat and any others, they all have to go around the extra buoy that lap

And no, I didn’t use any hallucinogenic drugs prior to writing this.

CLASSES:

Plan Z (adaption of plan D)

ALL ADAPTIONS ARE IN BOLD FONT

ASH/ASR - BSH/BSR - CSH/CSR – DSH/DSR – 302SSH

ASH: No change within the current ASH class.
    Targeted for individuals weighing 135-160lbs
    Target Speed: ASH – 55-57MPH
    • Current OMC motors, weight 345 ASH, no other changes to the current class
    • Current Mercury motor, weight 325 ASH, no other changes to the current class
    • Current Sidewinder 15S, weight 355 ASH, no other changes to the current class

ASR: No change within the current ASR class. Rollup boats only
    Targeted for individuals weighing 135-160lbs
    Target Speed: ASR – 52-54MPH
    • Current OMC motors, weight 350 ASR, no other changes to the current class
    • Current Mercury motor, weight 330 ASR, no other changes to the current class
    • Current Sidewinder 15S, weight 360 ASR no other changes to the current class

BSH: The BSH class would consist of two different motor options with different cc's to aid in achieving parity.
    Targeted for drivers weighing from 160-185lbs
    Target Speed: BSH – 62-65MPH
    • Current Sidewinder 15H at 11.5CC, weight 365, no other changes to the current class rules
    • Current Rotary Valve Hot Rod 15 at 13CC, weight 365, no other changes to the current class rules

BSR: The BSR class would consist of two different motor options with different cc's to aid in achieving parity.
    Targeted for drivers weighing from 160-185lbs
    Target Speed: BSR – 59-61MPH
    • Current Sidewinder 15H at 11.5CC, weight 360, no other changes to the current class rules
    • Current Rotary Valve Hot Rod 15 at 13CC, weight 360, no other changes to the current class rules
    • Rollup boats only

CSH: The CSH class has no change with the exception of the inclusion of the 25SSH class, with a parity package on the 25SSH.
    Targeted for drivers weighing from 185-210lbs
    Target Speed: CSH – 65-68MPH
    • Current Yamato 102 and 302, weight 440 lbs, with no other changes to the current class
    • Current Mercury 25XS w/ restrictor, weight raised from 400 to 420 lbs

CSR: The CSR class would consist of several different motor options with various weights to aid in achieving parity.
    Targeted for drivers weighing from 175-210lbs
    Target Speed: CSR – 62-65MPH
    • Current Yamato 102 and 302, weight 475, no other changes to the current class rules
    • Restricted Yamato 102 and 302 as run in 25SSR, weight for 9/16 restrictor 430, 1/2 weight 405
    • Mercury 25XS w/ restrictor, as run in 25SSR, weight 415 lbs.
    ROLL UP boats only

DSH: No changes to the current DSH class.
    Targeted for drivers weighing 200-245
    Target Speed: DSH – 75-83MPH

DSR: No changes to the current DSR class.
    Targeted for drivers weighing 200-245
    Target Speed: DSR – 70-73MPH
    ANY hull as long as it meets minimum length, weight and safety requirements and does not trap air under the hull

302SSH: All current rules apply
    Add 20CI class from plan D to it and restrict them down so that 302SSH’s are dominant.
    Targeted for drivers weighing 160 – 210 lbs
    Target speed: Not to exceed 60MPH

Hydro marathon:

12 laps
    Lemans start
    “A”s don’t have to pit
    Everyone else has to pit, change driver and take on gas

Runabout marathon:

12 laps
    Lemans start
    “A”s don’t have to pit
    Everyone else has to pit, change driver and take on gas

NET RESULT OF ALL CONCEPTS ABOVE:

No more parade of boats after the first turn

Everyone gets equal AND more boat time

There wouldn’t be a bunch of confusing classes that all look the same

It wouldn’t be boring to watch or participate in

It would be easier to understand and get started in

Current production engine is dominant in each class

Refocuses stock category on driving

Adds variety to the podium

No more frustration with finding parts to be able to race next weekend if something breaks

Have the same parts availability as your closest competitor

Limit crap in and on your trailer

Increase fireside story time

Get home in time

Be able to explain the basics of your sport to a stranger in less than an hour

DISCLAIMER: All of the above is easier said than done, I know. And yes, I know, change is a scary thing for most people. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I know plenty of able people that do that can make this happen. Nearly all of this was conceived in one sitting in the bathroom. Surely a group of actively involved, motivated members can make a difference.

Have at it boys…

ADDENDUM:

Have a 6 boat minimum for all classes. This is a half field folks. It's up to you and your class committee to get the boats to the site. Any classes that don't meet 6 boat minimum can step up to the next faster class for no points, "D" excluded.
    Last edited by JP53-N; 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM. Reason: addendum
    Jason

This is probably the best plan to date. One question, you say "allow any motor that was previously legal in the class so long as it doesn't out preform the dominant motor" what if someone arises and wins with the older engine (I.e. KG4 wins ASH) are you saying that particular person doesn't receive points for the race? I do like this plan and say the APBA should pursue it.

Comment

All Classes

All classes
      3 heats / 4 laps
      2-heats eliminations
      1-heat finals or conciliation

Sounds a little like Inboard's plan... Is it a "Winner Take All" final?

If you notice, the Unlimited have gone to a "Winner Takes All" Final as spectators can't count points while they drink Coors Light or other adult beverages.

I like your plan, just have the one question here...Because we have so little testing at races anymore, if the two "Qualifiers" didn't count except to get you into the finals....then, you could test set ups in the "Qualifiers".

In OffRoad Racing (Closed course), they race like 7 classes, but when a class finishes, they go right to a podium where they get their trophies and "LIVE TV" feed to YOU TUBE....or such.

Comment

Marathons Aren't Easy on EQUIPMENT

Have 12 lap hydro and runabout marathons with lemans start, handicaps, driver change, gas etc.

I probably won the Colorado River Marathon more than anyone....I'm not sure how many times I won it, but between like '60 and '67 I won everyone.

Marathons sound good, but marathons like we had at Dayton in '74 and '75, I know several people that ruined a brand new boat in this Marathon.

People like Marathns becasue anything can happen, but the cost of good equipment keeps many out of marathons.

If we were racing 2013 Four Stroke Outboards maybe marathons would make sense. My Yamaha dealer friend has sold 1,000 Yamaha four strokes, and has never had a head off one. But we don't race Yamaha Four Stokes, in fact no one even talks about Stock Outboard motors....A Sidewinder is a HAND BUILD RACE MOTOR......It is not a Stock Outboard Motor.

What would happen if we had a 15 HP 2013 Stock Outboard Class???So ****, there might be so many of them they could vote themselves control of Stock Outboards.....Well, start a 15 HP and don't allow them to vote. And See what happens.

No rules, except 12 lap Marathons, and 15 HP motors...see what happens.

Comment

CSR roll-up!? Lmfao
          Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

cool

cool count me in
            PJ
            118-P
            If your not fast, your food
            TEAM TOWER
            RUNABOUT DIVISION
            Suck it up buddy its only three laps (John Runne)

Comment

Plan z

As far as the proposed race schedule, I think it can be done today without any rule changes. So long as it's announced in the race circular.
              As far as the 12 lap race with a driver change and fuel stop, you're calling that a marathon? Bit** please! Could you instead call it Tag team racing or a racing relay? Because racing 6 laps per driver and fuel tank is not a marathon. Otherwise, you're good. :-)

Comment

Note ADDENDUM
                Jason

Comment

This plan could get me back into outboard racing!

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
                    This plan could get me back into outboard racing!
                    Okay, but sailing is going to miss you.

Comment

This sounds like the Eastern Outboard Racing Club from Long Island schedule. It worked very well as an outlaw club. Short program with testing in the morning and plenty of boat time. Also insurance was 1/4 of APBA. They ran a few AOF races in the past. Just too bad it is salt water and would not draw the APBA crowd or point chasers. I like the idea you present but that is only my opinion. ...Bob N-96

Comment

C Runabout

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
                        All classes
                        3 heats / 4 laps
                        2-heats eliminations
                        1-heat finals or conciliation

Sounds a little like Inboard's plan... Is it a "Winner Take All" final?

If you notice, the Unlimited have gone to a "Winner Takes All" Final as spectators can't count points while they drink Coors Light or other adult beverages.

I like your plan, just have the one question here...Because we have so little testing at races anymore, if the two "Qualifiers" didn't count except to get you into the finals....then, you could test set ups in the "Qualifiers".

In Off Road Racing (Closed course), they race like 7 classes, but when a class finishes, they go right to a podium where they get their trophies and "LIVE TV" feed to YOU TUBE....or such.
                        No one answered me question!

I assume by "ROLL UP" runabouts would be required to have a bottom fin only, maybe a second "CHIP" fin on the chine...

CSR: The CSR class would consist of several different motor options with various weights to aid in achieving parity.
                        Targeted for drivers weighing from 175-210lbs
                        Target Speed: CSR – 62-65MPH
                        • Current Yamato 102 and 302, weight 475, no other changes to the current class rules
                        • Restricted Yamato 102 and 302 as run in 25SSR, weight for 9/16 restrictor 430, 1/2 weight 405
                        • Mercury 25XS w/ restrictor, as run in 25SSR, weight 415 lbs.
                        • ROLL UP turning class

I know one BIG MAN in SoCal that has a daughter who races AXS and ASH that could be talked it to this class without too much trouble....I might run it too, just to show you all so talent...............NOT!

Especially if the three heat, winner take all final was in place.

A winner takes all final give the announcer a chance to tell the crowd who
                        won!

Comment

Originally posted by Apachemax View Post
                          This is probably the best plan to date. One question, you say "allow any motor that was previously legal in the class so long as it doesn't out preform the dominant motor" what if someone arises and wins with the older engine (I.e. KG4 wins ASH) are you saying that particular person doesn't receive points for the race? I do like this plan and say the APBA should pursue it.
                          Class committee takes care of this.

To answer your question Ron, I retyped the heat structure to read:

All classes
                          3 heats / 4 laps
                          If there's eliminations then have one heat final one heat conciliation otherwise average all three heats

And to those that asked, yes, I did mean "real", "roll-up" runabouts in "C", and "A"

Also note the change in the DSR class
                          Last edited by JP53-N; 01-04-2013, 05:07 AM.
                          Jason

Comment

So with boat count down because of the economy you want to raise entry fees and make most of the runabout guys buy new boats. This will work.
                            Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Extra Corner Buoy

I sure won't want to be the corner judge on the turn with the extra buoy. Sure will be a lot of "fun" trying to determine who was supposed to go wide and who wasn't.
                              kk

Comment

Working...
                              X