No announcement yet.

Testing, Testing, Testing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your young & flexible it wouldn't hurt. Having trouble getting low enough has caused me problems. Getting in better shape & a bit lighter has helped. A bad habit I got is to let the right hip push against the right side high, I've seen others do the same. I believe that can cause the boat to lurch & dig in corners. [or worse]. I'd guess pushing the right knee into the low [side /bottom] corner while leaning left w/o being too far forward will help [?]
    Don't mean to turn a test thread into a drive lesson but testing is practice too in my boat. I would like to do more but it isn't easy to find a place thats favorable or to get away enough. Milling & off to the line will have to do.
    Team Tower

Comment

almost

Originally posted by Dennis Crews View Post
      Ok. Now to summarize all of this, here is what I have learned so far...

Use a fixed GPS, change only one thing between test runs and record RPM and MPH after each, get to know the 'feel' of the boat, take into account the wind, water conditions, air temp, engine water temp, humidity, air/fuel mixture, gas/oil mixture, barometric pressure, air density and the gravitational pull of the moons orbiting Saturn..., all while watching for just the right amount of turn fin spray down the straightaway, reading the water in the next turn, swooping that corner to not scrub off any speed and keeping the sponons off of the water while doing it.

Is that all there is to it?

Piece of cake man!
      Go to the john before the heat!
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Missing item

You need to do all this with a blindfold on! I use an XL spread sheet to log the data but it can't be posed in that form so I converted it to PDF to get the titles. I can E mail the XL format if anyone would like it.

Alan
        Attached Files
        Last edited by OldRacerBU; 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
          Good insight Pete, have a little water before heading out too, you can come in pretty darn thirsty.
          Team Tower

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
            Naw, just go a little deep just prior to getting in the boat. Nobody will ever know.
            kk

Comment

Pre heat prep

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
              Naw, just go a little deep just prior to getting in the boat. Nobody will ever know.
              kk
              That might work for #1........
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Good point!
                kk

Comment

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post
                  You need to do all this with a blindfold on! I use an XL spread sheet to log the data but it can't be posed in that form so I converted it to PDF to get the titles. I can E mail the XL format if anyone would like it.

Alan
                  Alan,

I sent you a PM with my email-addy for a copy of your XL format data sheet.

Regards
                  Bill

Comment

testing

There is never enough time to test. Go through your props, go back to the first one, it will give you the best reading, because the motor runs faster when it is cool. Follow George's ideas, even if you do not have a Mycron. If you want to make it more concise, put two bouy turns up(you will make more uniform turns). I like the stop watch for two laps or even three is better. It averages the prop out, because you will be runing in some waves. Get three times, that is do it three times and then average them. If the wind comes up, then throw thoses times out...wind changes everything. This gives you allot of time in the boat. Wartinger said, "You and the boat must be one".

Comment

Originally posted by [I
                      Don't mean to turn a test thread into a drive lesson but testing is practice too in my boat[/I].
                      You are not redirecting the thread. In fact, I think you are right on point. I will take all the help and advice I can get. Thanks.

Also, even though I injected some humor into this thread earlier I want all of you to know just how seriously I take the fact that you are willing to share your knowledge and experience with me. It is not taken lightly.

Thank You!
                      Last edited by Dennis Crews; 01-07-2013, 07:11 AM.
                      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

thread

Humor is a good thing in the seriousness noted

Comment

never underestimate the power of seat time. When I was growing up on a lake in michigan, (late 60's early 70's) it was very common place to see and hear Joe Pater and his buddies out playing in their C hydros. They weren't testing they were playing. They did not wait for the perfect water conditions. they just wanted to have fun. The result is there is probably NOBODY in outboard racing with as much experience with different water conditions in a C hydro as Joe. He is probably more comfortable kneeling in a hydro than he is in his Lazy boy. Think about the last new car you got. at first, it was unfamiliar and you were cautious with it. as you spent more time in it, you got more comfortable... before you know it, you could zip through traffic with ease, becausse the way it handles becomes second nature. once you accompilsh the second nature aspect, Then you can get serious about testing, setup, and squeaking that last 1/2 mph out of your rig. Just one man's opinion.

Comment

seat time

Originally posted by joejohn44 View Post
                            never underestimate the power of seat time. When I was growing up on a lake in michigan, (late 60's early 70's) it was very common place to see and hear Joe Pater and his buddies out playing in their C hydros. They weren't testing they were playing. They did not wait for the perfect water conditions. they just wanted to have fun. The result is there is probably NOBODY in outboard racing with as much experience with different water conditions in a C hydro as Joe. He is probably more comfortable kneeling in a hydro than he is in his Lazy boy. Think about the last new car you got. at first, it was unfamiliar and you were cautious with it. as you spent more time in it, you got more comfortable... before you know it, you could zip through traffic with ease, becausse the way it handles becomes second nature. once you accompilsh the second nature aspect, Then you can get serious about testing, setup, and squeaking that last 1/2 mph out of your rig. Just one man's opinion.
                            That's what I did before even signing up for APBA in 73 with my B/C hydro. I even pulled a water skier with it but using a standard 35hp Rude on it. But besides that I ran all over the intercoastal in the south Fla area in a hydro for many years, talk about rough water conditions and fun.

Comment

Working...
                            X