• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duct tape is now obsolete?

Fixing an SST60 in a hurry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyy6fYvtaQ&sns=em

Flex Seal

You know it mighnt sound funny but I used this on a camper roof and under some flashing to an addition I built on to my garage and neither have leaked yet. So I think it would hold a leak in a boat with some screen placed over it. needs a little drying time though so you may not run it until the next day.

(only mean a seam leak not a hole) This stuff has the look of truck bed liner but with some flex.

FYI: You can buy it at any Walmart or Dollar Gerneral stores.
    Last edited by Mike45; 12-30-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

In the late 60's on Lake Contrary in St. Joe, Mo., a unique repair to a CD Marchetti Hydro was made by a racer (who shall remain nameless to protect anyone from trying this again without specific directions from same) who had hit a 4X4 piling that was just under the water and was part of a duck blind that had been constructed at one time and then partially removed. The 4X4 was not visible as the lake had come up several inches since the blind was removed.

The person struck the 4X4 with the right rear portion of the chine of the boat at high speed, ripping out not only a portion of the chine, but also the rear portion of the boat that includes the transom handle on the right side of the transom.

Only a couple of hours remained before the start of the race, so the person made a mad dash to the nearest lumber yard open on Sunday, to find suitable repair material to try to repair the boat. In the time frame mentioned, some of the more modern type adhesives like epoxy, and others as we have now, were not readily available, much less marine plywood at the common lumber yard,
      so when he returned to the course with the boat on top of his vehicle, it was immediately apparent that some UNIQUE methods and materials had been used in the repair of the Hydro.

I wish I had been perceptive enough to have taken some pictures of the repair, as it was unlike anything I had seen previously, and would undoubtedly add much to this story. Quite possibly this was the start of "stepped chines", as the repair had been made with a combination of cedar shingles, roofing nails, and some type of adhesive commonly used at the time that came in a tube.

The owner was cautioned, in fact told in no uncertain terms, that the repair would not hold and to not attempt to put the boat on the water. If the owner were to be named, most that know him would know he was very competitive, and did not usually take others advice as to repairs to boats or motors.

Anyway, he went out on the 5 minute gun for C (500cc) hydro that was capable of at least 85MPH at the time, and got a very good start and went into the first turn, if not in first, very close to the front. Upon getting the full force of water pressure at that speed on the repair (remember it was the right non-trip rear and back of the boat) the only thing visible from that point on was a large amount of water, pieces of cedar shingle floating in the water, and the blue color of the nose of the Marchetti sticking up out of the water.

Fortunately no damage was done, other than to the pride of the individual, and the "I told your so's" from the folks on the bank, one of which was Stanley Leavendusky Sr., who was most vocal about not putting the boat in to start with after seeing the repair and materials used. If any of the readers of this post remember Stan Sr., they will remember he was merciless in reminding someone if they screwed up in some way regards racing.

The driver went on to win several National Championships, and developed a reputation as someone who could make a Konig perform very well. He also came very close to the APBA HOC at one time in his driving career.

I will leave his identity to the reader's thoughts/guesses, (or his own need or want to identify himself) although he is the source of many other stories that could be told, some just as humorous as this, if not more so.

ADD: Now that I am thinking further about this, and also after a call from someone who was there and also witnessed the event, we seem to remember that in addition to the use of cedar shingles, they were not overlapped the correct way to withstand the force of water coming past. Would hate to have him shingle my house!
      Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 12-28-2012, 09:20 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

na

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
        garbage cheap never work

Comment

Duct tape= a Bud Pinto patch.
          Safety Rich- Your Safety is my business

Comment

I'll try some of this Flex Seal on my RV roof this spring. As for repairing my boat, I'll stick with duct tape for above the waterline repairs. Duct tape looks easier to remove when it's time for proper repair.
            Oh how I miss Billy Mays!

Comment

I saw that on tv today , good laugh

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
                I'll try some of this Flex Seal on my RV roof this spring. As for repairing my boat, I'll stick with duct tape for above the waterline repairs. Duct tape looks easier to remove when it's time for proper repair.
                Oh how I miss Billy Mays!
                You are not supposed to run into stuff, oh must be that channel marker on that hard right turn in Indian River.
                kk

Comment

There's a lot of good stuff out there that even works under water or with oily seeps (You just have to keep working it til it hardens, then continue with layers). However, duct tape still needs to stay in the tool box. Anybody that has seen the video of the bush plane in Alaska that was torn up by a bear looking for food will agree.

The pilot and hunter left the plane without removing the food. The skin on the fuselage was totally destroyed. The bush pilot was a good one, however, and knew the capabilities of his sturdy little plane. He called a friend of his to send him X amount of cases of duct tape, and maybe some plastic wrap I think (primarly to serve more or less like foundation material). He wrapped the whole plane from the cockpit to the tail in duct tape and flew it our of there with no problems. If you search around, you can probably find the story.

Comment

Truck

What class will it run?

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X