SORC Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORC Vision

We have definitely seen some very promising signs for STOCK in certain areas of the country. Some programs that seem to be most successful include:
    1) Driving Schools
    2) H.A.R.M. J Project (kids build then race boats)
    3) Novice C (boat, motor, prop for under $2K)

Knowing this has worked, and seeing the large amount of recent discussion on class structure, I was curious how this all fits into the SORC Vision for moving forward.

Simply put, What are the key elements that need to be focused on to be successful? Just to get the conversation started, I'll start with:
    1) Gain new members?
    2) Maintain current membership base?
    3) Shorten the race day?
    4) Make racing more affordable?
    5) Make racing more fun?

I have my own thoughts, I'd like to hear what others have to think.

Please keep it positive.

Mike
    Attached Files

Stock Outboard Vision???

Does APBA Stock Outboarding own the tower housing pattern for the 44 XS/25XS tower?

Stick with me, this is part of the "VISION "...

Comment

Great post

I think we need to look at keeping the cost down for racing members...which is why myself and others are pretty excited about the 302 SSH class....also....I think we need to look at ways of keeping the program shorter....and I honestly do not know how to do that and keep clubs viable entry money wise. I also think the racer schools that both the Michigan and Seattle clubs hold are fantastic! I have a pretty good idea how many people we reel in...sorta curious as to how the Michigan group does. That being said, I want to thank Steve Greaves and the rest of the pro boys for stepping up and paying for the ambulance for the novice school racers...pretty classy of them. Maybe APBA can step forward and give participating clubs a break on sanction and insurance fees? Maybe APBA could give free membership to new members for a year? Why not? Do it across the board....from stock to unlimiteds....new people will see how much fun (well, most of the time) we have and get hooked...what does APBA have to lose? Just some random thoughts. 9 U.S.

Comment

302 SSH Hydro

Yamato makes a great motor. The have a "Spec Sheet". Why under this class's rules do I have to buy a $2,000 Yamato then spend $250 to have it "Blessed" as legal. How is "Blessing" fee saving new members money?

I just get confused how this class is gong to keep prices down!

Keeping prices down, I agree with this!

Claimer prices on props and powerheads would help, too!

Comment

MHRA Racer School Numbers

Dave,

To answer your question, we have approximately a 50% conversion rate from Racer School Graduate to Racing Member. I have exact numbers someplace, but just not accessible to me at the current moment. The bottom line has been that each year we have a higher percentage of who ends up becoming a racer. This is due to learning from past experiences and following up in better ways than before. It's also because we are now marketed to more people who WANT to get involved in the sport - not just a joy ride (of which we certainly welcome both).

I think APBA should offer a discounted rate for first year racers, especially in the case of multiple members of one family joining within the same racing year (buy one, get one free). I do believe that if $185 is your make it or break it of racing, your priorities probably should not be racing - however, saving $100 bucks on your startup costs would make a hell of a difference, especially for new racing families (what we're promoting right?).
          Elek Hutchinson
          36M

Comment

thanx hutch

Much appreciated....just sorta curious as to how you guys (and gals) are doing novice racers wise. We in SOA had a great year that way. Need to keep going though. Part of the long range plan I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
              Yamato makes a great motor. The have a "Spec Sheet". Why under this class's rules do I have to buy a $2,000 Yamato then spend $250 to have it "Blessed" as legal. How is "Blessing" fee saving new members money?

I just get confused how this class is gong to keep prices down!

Keeping prices down, I agree with this!

Claimer prices on props and powerheads would help, too!
              Ron- 302ssh needs to have certain parts of the motors sealed by our APBA/SORC inspectors/motor manufactuer's. This needs to be done so inspectors at races know FOR A FACT that nothing else has been done to the motors. Think of the inspection at nationals! 15 minutes and you're done! This class will be your first ever Stock outboard SPEC class. This isn't a blessing, it's a validation that your motor is legal for the year. There will be stamps on the motor and if these stamps/seals are broked the motor is no longer legal. No more machining, blueprinting, etc.

Also for the price of the motor and seals the new 302ss motor owner will recieve his/her's propeller. For more information on the class go to:http://www.apba.org/resources?title=...e_type_tid=All
              Kyle Bahl
              20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
                Simply put, What are the key elements that need to be focused on to be successful? Just to get the conversation started, I'll start with:
                1) Gain new members?
                2) Maintain current membership base?
                3) Shorten the race day?
                4) Make racing more affordable?
                5) Make racing more fun?
                6) Make our program (show) more attractive to sponsors/spectators. Perhaps this would make it easier to earn sponsorship money.

Not being negative. You guys are doing a great job.

Comment

Get a simple class stucture

I think what I like most about the current class structure being disussed is it looks at size of indaviduals and speeds versuse a place to put a certain motor. Concentrate on classes based on size of person and speed your looking for and then fit the motors, (which is what the current idea does).

When a person is loking at what class to race you have to take into effect how much they wheigh-how tall are they. These are the factors that will descide weather they are going to be competative in the class.

A 120lb guy running C-runabout does not work very well-but put him in a 15SS that goes within a few miles an hour of the same speed but is in a 10 ft boat he has the ability to drive the boat.

Same for a 200lb guy-I had to add 40lbs of lead to the CSR I raced but in 25SS no wheight needed-same speed different ride.

Oh- stick to the plan more than one year -5 year plans have to go 5 years to see if the outcome is what you want not 6 months.

From what I see based on the economy and how many other things there are to do getting a increase in membership is not an easy task-yet you are getting new members every year-yes you are loosing some to but look on the bright side.

Kerry

Comment

sealed 302ssh

Ron- 302ssh needs to have certain parts of the motors sealed by our APBA/SORC inspectors/motor manufactuer's. This needs to be done so inspectors at races know FOR A FACT that nothing else has been done to the motors.

What are the "certain parts" of the motor that will require APBA/SORC inspector/motor manufacturers official seal?

Will items that require the official seal need to be shipped to one of the 4-5 certified centers for repair?

Particularly interested to know if I can re-ring or repair a stuck piston, replace a blown head gasket, check/re-gasket the exhaust manifold or exhaust tube?

Comment

I believe the 302 Class falls into a few main categories:
                      1) Make it fun.
                      2) Make it affordable.
                      3) Attract new racers.

Dave Anderson or Jeff Brewster have the latest rules. Contact them if interested.
                      Mike

Comment

Sorc

Any thoughts/input from our Commissioners?

Comment

Marathons.

You often hear "Why should I drive six hours for a few minutes of boat time?" I think it would be a good idea to try and hold a marathon at one race per region a year. Two twenty minute races over a weekend is some pretty good boat rime. It is quite a bit different than the "first boat to the first turn wins" kind of racing....you can actually come from behind and win, as racers tire and courses become rougher.
                          MHRA holds them at each event and they are well attended. And I would once again like to point out that there were 26 CSR's at Top'O last year and we average around 24 every year. Of course Top'O is a special race, but you can see that many hold marathon in high esteem.
                          A new racer may find the increased boat time and the chance to compete without years of experience to be attractive. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by kampkurz View Post
                            You often hear "Why should I drive six hours for a few minutes of boat time?" I think it would be a good idea to try and hold a marathon at one race per region a year. Two twenty minute races over a weekend is some pretty good boat rime. It is quite a bit different than the "first boat to the first turn wins" kind of racing....you can actually come from behind and win, as racers tire and courses become rougher.
                            MHRA holds them at each event and they are well attended. And I would once again like to point out that there were 26 CSR's at Top'O last year and we average around 24 every year. Of course Top'O is a special race, but you can see that many hold marathon in high esteem.
                            A new racer may find the increased boat time and the chance to compete without years of experience to be attractive. Mark
                            At eatonville, wa every year we run a hydro/runabout A/C marathon every year. 6-7 A drivers are paired up with 6-7 C drivers and have a tag team race. Pretty fun! Hydro one day runabout next.
                            Kyle Bahl
                            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by kampkurz View Post
                              Mark,
                              I started racing by running marathons. I wanted more seat time so I went to closed course racing as well. There is definitely a lot of bang for the buck racing marathons, just not enough of them. I have driven the 5,000 miles to do Top 'O, twice and it was worth every dime. I agree that if more regions put these on the attraction to boat racing might just get a boost. This is what got me started.
                              kk

Comment

Working...
                              X