Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life jacket, cut suit questions.... Help

A clip from stock racing rules...

6. Drivers must wear life jackets, helmets, eye protection and cut-resistant, wrist-length sleeves and cut-resistant, ankle-length pants at all times while on the water for the purpose of driving racing equipment. In closed course racing, when stopped on the course, the driver’s helmet only may be removed when no other racing craft are underway anywhere on the course or when the driver’s boat is tethered to a towboat. The helmet only may also be removed by drivers of stalled boats during point-to-point marathons. Helmet restraints are recommended for use in PRO and Stock Outboard racing. All PRO, SO and MO drivers must also wear impact/flak jackets, which may be worn separately or incorporated into the life jacket. The impact/flak material, whether in a separately worn impact/flak jacket or incorporated into the life jacket itself, will provide full coverage of the front and back of the torso. The intent is to provide impact/flak coverage of vital internal organs. Drivers in boats equipped with reinforced cockpits as defined in item 18 of this rule are exempt from the portions of this rule requiring impact/flak jackets and cut-resistant clothing. The referee or inspector has the power to prohibit the use of any helmet or life jacket that he/she determines to be potentially unsafe.

My question is this; is there a more descriptive explanation of the cut resistant suits, jackets, ect. anywhere; specificly color, level of cut resistance? I'm currently looking at many different options for some new gear. Some of these options aren't like anything ive seen worn in stock/mod outboard. I want to know if I'm missing something. An example of this is the BALLISTIC KEVLAR 1-PIECE SUIT WITH BUILT-IN LIFE JACKET / PN-285 currently being offered by lifeline. Would something like this be acceptable in Stock/mod?

Josh, Rick Miller uses a one piece suit with built in life preserver but I don't know the brand. Perhaps he'll chime here and let you know. You could also send a private message from the Hydroracer Private Message. Oops, I see that Rick is no longer shown in the member list but his dad still is. He is doc 35-O. Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stotts; 12-15-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

One of my competitors (Jason) has this (Made by Security Race Products) 5 minuets before racing, wheeling the boat down to the water in shorts and a T-shirt, slip on the coveralls and race. One zipper, no buckles and no all day in kevlar pants.

Comment

Lifejacket Specs. etc

Hi Josh,

APBA has a document that details the specifications under which a lifejacket is to be made for each different type of racing. In kneeldown and laydown, non-restrained outboards, a Type "A" or "A-100" jacket is required. Attached is the document that describes what an A/A-100 jacket is supposed to conform to. Interesting reading, especially when reviewing some of the jackets out there on the market today. See attached.

Security Race Products also makes a combo suit like the one you mention above. It was the first Combo Suit, on the market since the 1990's. Kyle Bahl and numerous other racers in SO, MO and PRO have used these successfully for years. See picture attached. Note the helmet restraints; they are an optional accessory that Kyle chose to be buit into the suit.

SRP can also have just the sleeves or pants built into the lifejacket if you prefer. We try to offer as many different combinations as a racer could want.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

R-19
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sponsonhead; 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM.
        www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

safety gear

Hi Josh,

Call Lee Tietze he currently wears Lifeline, he has had both brands.
          Call Rick Miller he currently wears Lifeline, he has had both brands.

Call Lifeline 928-669-9241

Comment

Thanks for the info. My sister in law is a fashion designer out of Chicago. I was trying to get information about the type of material required (as in the level of "cut-resistant"). I'm also curious if we have to have orange. I mean, can the entire suit w/ jacket be all black or something? I'm not seeing any rule that says it needs to be orange. Who does the certifications? If I have a suit custom made, do I need to send it somewhere to be certified?

I’ve found a cut resistant material that is produced out of the UK. I’ve received samples and the material is lighter and more water resistant than the material I’ve seen used. And for a 230+ guy, reducing as much weight at possible is a must (if I want to get into a CSR again). This material claims to be stronger and have a higher cut resistance than Kevlar. Its currently being used in the military and police forces in Europe. I’ve taken a knife to it and would agree that its as strong (if not stronger) than my current Kevlar sleeves.

In the end, this may be more hassle than its worth. I’ll probably end up purchasing thru Lifeline or SRP. I’d just like to see what my options are.

Comment

Interesting information. I'm definitely would like to try gear like this, but flotation looks a little minimal. I've been in the water a couple times with a standard jacket and it didn't seem to be over buoyant ( I'm 210 lbs. with not much fat!).
              Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

ooops, just saw the attached word document. I see it DOES say that "All life jackets shall have at least 70% of the upper surfaces, both front and back, international orange or yellow in color."

This document also talks about the materials, stitching, ect.. (but its all jibba-jabbah to me). I'll pass this along to my sister in law and see if it makes sense to her.

thanks for the information

Comment

Equipmment

Joshua, if your going race boats you need to forget the sister-in-law and buy the safety equipment you see here
                  on this site. It is not just cut resistance you need. You need good flotation and also impact resistance. Won’t do
                  much good when you hit the water at 70 - 80 if it all comes apart. This equipment has been proven over and over
                  to be the best and is what you need. I know it cost a lot of $$$ but it is cheaper than the hospital.
                  Also,and this is for all of you racing, try and fine some kevlar gloves. A prop can really play hell with your hand.

Orange and yellow show up best on the water.

Good Luck to All

Comment

Working...
                  X