What size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size?

Me and a couple of buddies are going to be building some boat carts this winter and I was wondering what size would be best for the wheels including the front swivel wheel? Tell me what size you use and why it works for you. Also what style of wheel works for you, i.e. inflated, solid, wheel barrow, ect....

Please feel free to comment and know that there are no wrong answers here, just looking for input to make an informed decision. Oh, the carts are for CSH, SEH, and CSR.

Thanks,
    Gardner Miller
    Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
    Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Wheels

Go to Tractor Supply, and get wheel barrell tires, go to local bike shop, get tubes and put these in the tires. Never have a problem that way. Unless you piss off someone and they let the air out. For the front swivel one, anything by solid works, and TSC sells a swivel in the same size as the wheel barrell wheels.

Dave tried some solids this year, and we then quickly switched to the wheel barrell tires. They work very well in sandy or muddy areas. The solids will usually dig in more. Just make a couple chaulks for when the rig is parked. Or do like I do, grab the neartest small rock or branch.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Wheels

What we found best for us is lawn tractor tires 6x8 I beleive. They pull great on sand and mud because of there width.At first I thought they wouldn't be good because they tend float to high but I like it that way because you just have to push it down between the air traps and slide it under with the traps holding it in place.This causes it to remain with the boat until shallower water & the boat stays locked in place by the airtraps,no side to side slipping.

Good Luck
      Latter Race Team 20SSH/CSH/OSY400 /AXSH
      The eh TEAM
      "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it"

Comment

I use wheel barrel wheels which are 8". They do float a bit but slide easily under the boat when floating. I don't use a front wheel. Jack

Comment

Jack...Sam added a front swivel wheel to his cart last season...worked out very well! Esp for the heavier Marathon Hull.
          Roger A 68M
          Team Casual

Comment

Tractor Supply it is!

Thanks guys,

You all just reaffirmed what I thought, I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track. I guess we'll be headed to TSC in the very near future!
            Gardner Miller

Comment

I went to the local small engine repair shop and picked up a nice set of wheels from a snowblower. Works great

Comment

No snow blowers

There is little chance Gardner will find a snow blower in Texas!

Comment

snow

It dose snow here in TEXAS Doc. It even snowed here in Del Rio in 1986. These mex kids went nuts.
                  They never seen snow.
                  Stan

Comment

True...

Originally posted by doc 35-0 View Post
                    There is little chance Gardner will find a snow blower in Texas!
                    That might be true Doc however I do have contacts in the north! Speaking of snow we had a dusting here in Ft Worth yesterday morning...I do miss the snow!!!!!
                    Gardner Miller

Comment

We do not allow snow in Ft. Myers, Fl. LOL!!!
                      Can't wait to move there full-time... The first thing I will sell b-4 moving from
                      Kansas to Florida is the snow blower,,, the shovels,, and about 100 #'s of
                      ice melt..

Comment

Very early in my military career an old major told me that when I retire, have the moving van guy hang a snow shovel on the side of the van and drive South until someone said "what is that". Pretty good advise. That's how I ended up in Austin, TX. Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                          Very early in my military career an old major told me that when I retire, have the moving van guy hang a snow shovel on the side of the van and drive South until someone said "what is that". Pretty good advise. That's how I ended up in Austin, TX. Jack
                          And might I add that we here in TX are glad you followed that advise!
                          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Working...
                          X