First Aid Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid Kit

I had an unfortunate situation this weekend where my wife suffered a horrific leg wound requiring a fast ride to the ER. After getting her home I had to go get some medical supplies / dressings to keep things clean ect. Based on my shopping trip I realized that my little first aid kit I keep in my race trailer is woefully inadequate. Having said that I have added another line item to my winter project list I.E. put together or buy a "real" first aid kit.

I was wondering what you carry in your trailer and or have any recommendations as to a good pre-assembled kit. We (Team Casual) are very fortunate to have a fire fighter / paramedic on our race team so I'll be looking to him as well for some guidance.

Note:
    During one of our local races this year I was on a rescue boat that responded to crash where the driver was caught up in his own prop. Long story short no one had any scissors that would cut through his cut suit, it was a very scary scene. Just as we were about to pull the prop off we got lucky and were able to chew through the material and pull him free. Lessons learned ? Talk to the cut suit manufactures and see if there is a cutting instrument that will work on the various materials they use.

Sam,

They make scissors that cut Kevlar, but they are very pricy.

You can make your own from .99 cent store or old dull scissors that will cut just as well as the best pair you can buy.

With a bench grinder, grind the sharp edge of the scissors so it has a small flat on both blades, .. I know, ... it sounds silly but it works. The problem with regular scissors is the their to smooth and the Kevlar just slide forward and between the blades which you probably found that out already. The flat edge actually cuts them and the ruff edge from the grinding holds the Kevlar in place. Try it, ... you have nothing to loose except a pair of cheap scissors.

If need be, ... I can make a video on how to do it.

The second and last resort because of the self explanatory hazards that it entails, ... is break a bottle and use a piece of the glass and that will cut it also.

As far as the rest of it in your kit, ... Your fire fighter team mate should be the expert in filling that.

Bill
    Last edited by BillCNC; 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I have a pair of scissors that cut kevlar as I use it buildings boats I got them off of ebay for around 25.00 they have serations in them that keep the material from sliding as the blades cut the stuff.
      Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Crash Shears. They are available through just about any "medical" store and are relatively cheap. galls.com would be another avenue but they are little more expensive through them.

The only problem we have when using them (in the emergency setting) is they are only good for a few cuts then we replace them.
        444-B now 4-F
        Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post

The only problem we have when using them (in the emergency setting) is they are only good for a few cuts then we replace them.
          That's why I make my own, ... in 3 minutes and you 5 pairs.

Bill

Comment

It's in your Tool Box

Duck Tape, plastic bag and WD40 can put anybody back together!

Comment

Rescue Boats

If you have EMT's or Paramedics in the crash boat. They should carry a small pelican bag which should carry everything that is necessary for our type of racing injuries. Problem is that they do not run across Kalvar in land acidents. So the race committe should make sure that sizzors for cutting the Kelvar are available in the rescue boats. By the way if you do not have EMT's or Paramedics aboard your rescue. The rescue boat should have a pelican bag available for use. But I know that we are tough and fearless and will never need that stuff.

Jim Tower 118P only 6 months till the 3 min gun

Comment

Originally posted by jtower3941 View Post
                If you have EMT's or Paramedics in the crash boat. They should carry a small pelican bag which should carry everything that is necessary for our type of racing injuries. Problem is that they do not run across Kalvar in land acidents. So the race committe should make sure that sizzors for cutting the Kelvar are available in the rescue boats. By the way if you do not have EMT's or Paramedics aboard your rescue. The rescue boat should have a pelican bag available for use. But I know that we are tough and fearless and will never need that stuff.

Jim Tower 118P only 6 months till the 3 min gun
                Some of the high end motorcycle outfits have Kevlar now!!
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Never mind all of that, how is your wife's leg.
                  Hope all is well Sam. Looking forward to seeing you and your Team next season.

Jerry

Comment

They are making some great stuff for cuts on horses these days.
                    Spray on antibiotics that cauterize and seal off wounds.

I have used it on myself, and works great.

I always have on hand (for horse cuts) an antibiotic, covered by sterile non stick pads, wraped loosely by sterile gauze wrap, and Vet Wrap over that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Davids View Post
                      Never mind all of that, how is your wife's leg.
                      Hope all is well Sam. Looking forward to seeing you and your Team next season.

Jerry
                      That's a little personal Jerry but shes doing better, thanks for asking. It's my guess that she won't be doing and stocking commercials anytime soon. Yes ! I hope I get to see you and all the folks Mike and I met at Tabor. We still talk about that weekend and manage to laugh every time we do.This yank is looking forward to tasting more chicken bog, I hope soon. Take care buddy !

Sam,
                      87-M

Comment

After I lost an argument with a 500 hydro and ended up with a free ride in the bambulance. The EMT and I "discussed", among other things, the necessity of cutting my sleeves so they could start an IV, long story short, he cut them without much problem with a pair of shears like these.

http://www.galls.com/cgi/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=IN700

For $5.99, I'll order some for the trailer if Dad, Sean and Ian don't already have a set in our kit.
                        I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                        The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Great Heads up. I'm getting a quality first aid kit.
                          Thanks,
                          Mark
                          220 M

Comment

This is the most useful thread on this site in a long time.
                            My wife keeps me alive with a large tackle box filled with band-aids, gauze, peroxide, tweezers, scissors, medical tape, ointments, sunscreen,
                            and what not. ( that was for you Jeff B)
                            Every trailer should have this stuff, And a good fire extinguisher.

Comment

Dave has it right. We typically use these in the EMS field. Darn things will actually a penny in half, yes I have done this. They stay sharp and cost effective. Any medical supply house carries them.
                              Safety Rich- Your Safety is my business

Comment

Working...
                              X