X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat racing can be FUN

I have this in my head and so here it is;
    Boat racing can be FUN if;
    1. You have a competitive spirit. Most of us in this sport are competitive, we want and have the desire to compete. Some are happy to just be in the sport and not to have a desire to win. Those people are few, but they fun too. But the biggest smiles comes when you beat someone that has putting water in your boat for sometime.
    2. You have some experience in your boat. Wartinger said it best 'you and your boat most be the same'. What he was saying was the driver most have trust in the boat. You most know what it will do in all circumstances. It is only then you can drive it at it's best or your best.
    3. You must have some boat racing skills. You may be a great driver in your first race, but most of us develope those abilities over a long time. How to get a good start, what drivers do you want to be next to in a close turn and how to count points when you are in the mist of the race. Do I really need to pass the boat in front of me to win the race? Allot of different type of racer come to our sport and find that they can not use those skills to race a boat. I tell my drivers 'the race begins 10 seconds before the race starts'
    4. The Power; the motor that you use has different phases. When it is fresh, new components, it doesn't run very fast. It takes time on the motor to break it in. Some motors never come in and that is dissappointing. Finally, it does hit it peaks and in time it does wear out. We had a great motor that lasted 30years. This is one of the most difficut thing, to know when to give up on a motor.
    5. Resources; I know one guy who races on a shoe string. He would go homeless rather than not race. Others and most of us race on a budget, because we have family. While others have more fun staying in the best motels. We see people that have a new boat each year and others that have very old boats.
    6. Propellers; a very important component of the boat, which has supprised me. I have been involved as a racer and coach for over sixty years in boat racing and propellers are still a mystery. We use props that are old. Our best 400mod prop is thirty years old. Our best C stock prop is eight years old. Our best C mod prop is seven years old. So, you just have to find that prop that is best for you and it maybe on the top shelve in your garage.

Put all these together and you will have fun boat racing. Keep safe.

Well Said Doc!! I fall in-between..I'd love to win..that said I haven't in a very long time, and STILL LOVE Boat Racing. Being in "The Pits"..the comradarie, friendships, competiveness..etc. Thats why I love racing...not only that but seeing a driver come off the water after the first race with a smile I've only seen from the beach as a helmet comes off..Priceless. Fortunatley I think I have enough skills to continue to be mid-back and give some newbies someone to catch and then beat..LOL
    Roger A 68M
    Team Casual

Comment

C stock runabout

You are being very modest..Hey, I've seen you win allot. One of the fastest C stock runabout around. I would not like to race our C mod runabout against your c stock on a average course...

Comment

Working...
      X