APBA Driving School featured in Boating Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA Driving School featured in Boating Magazine

Today, I opened my print copy of the October 2012 Boating magazine and found what looked like a real racing hydroplane on the contents page. Spying what appeared to be a real racing number on the hull piqued my interest and I turned to the print article which can also be found at:

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/sea...-racing-school

I am relatively new to Boating and I have only read the last three years worth of issues. And for the record, it is STRICTLY A COINCIDENCE that Boating began a swimsuit issue three years ago. I subscribe to Boating to read the articles. Typically, the closest thing I see to a real race boat in Boating are offshore hulls converted to fishing boats, e.g., Cigarettes with cup holders, hardtops, and rocket launchers. Ok, maybe there was an interview last year with the Miss GEICO offshore team and maybe a short article this year about the all women 24 Heures Motonautiques de Rouen team. Oh, and a picture of the bottom of a Jersey Speed Skiff, but who doesn't have one of those?

Favorite quote, although I cringed at the analogy: “It’s like a drug, isn’t it? You try it, and then you want more. You want your next fix.”

Good job to whomever is responsible!
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

That's awesome Mark......Hope you guys are doing well and hope to see you at Millville in Oct.
    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Nice work!

This is great publicity. Whoever is responsible for getting this into a national publication that will be read by a huge number of APBA's potential target market, deserves a big thumbs up.

Comment

Cheers to a positive thread!

-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Racers Edge View Post
          This is great publicity. Whoever is responsible for getting this into a national publication that will be read by a huge number of APBA's potential target market, deserves a big thumbs up.

I totally agree. +100 to who ever these folks are. (names on the article) Would be interesting to know who they are and if they have any connection to APBA, as I am not familiar with the names.

And whether it be considered "bashing" or not, this is what APBA should be doing now, in the past and the future.

Comment

Boating magazine is the largest publication for boats in the world.
            Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Great job this is the correct audience.
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

APBA Racer school

Originally posted by Racers Edge View Post
                "Learning to drive fast at the APBA racing school"

"In the morning, our 22-member class convened for classroom work. On hand were Dan Kanfoush and Chris Fairchild, accomplished drivers with world-class experience in the 5-liter Hydroplane and OPC categories; Wolf also was there, as was Mark Weber, a renowned third-generation racer, his wife, Lori, and Adam Allen, OPC class chairman. First lesson: understanding the ride."

Who is responsible would be your APBA BOD (Kanfoush, Weber, Fairchild). And many others i'm sure. Thanks for the great publicity boys (and girls).
                Kyle Bahl
                20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Kyle:

When I was wondering about who was responsible for the article, I was speaking about the two folks whose name is on the article as authors. I am familiar with the other people you mention.

The drivers school, I believe anyway, has the best chance of achieving the enthusiasm that is necessarily for someone to get excited enough to actually spend the money required to get on the race course.

Perhaps a "ready to go" set up rig at the drivers school available for purchase right then without a wait so as to not lose that enthusiasm a boat ride would generate, could also be helpful. Maybe get some boat builders and the Yamato dealer to put a package together, if that is not already done.

Several years ago I offered to donate a really good Hydro to USTS and suggested putting a Yamato on it, deep in the water for safety, so as to be available for rides before and after USTS races. The idea was declined by the board at the time as having too much liability for them if there were some sort of accident. I suggested a waiver be signed by the "try-er-outer" but it never went any further. I still remember how excited I was my first race boat ride, and how that triggered the sickness for the next 50+ years.

Comment

Very COOL!!
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Thanks Tammy!!

All,

Tammy Wolf-Jakob is who set this up. She's got great ideas for marketing our sport.

AA

Comment

Good Deal

It is nice to see something like this. Now how does one measure the ROI on this ? And what did it cost to get that article into the magazine ?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it as easy as paying for space in most magazines ? I honestly feel the Propeller should be the magazine represting the kneel down categories around the world. Devleop this into a "Boating" format and put it on newstands worldwide. Make it the next best thing since Powerboat magazine covered our racing. Or just keep Propeller as it is, for the racers, and launch a new magazine targeted to your market. Costly, you bet. Worth it ? I think so. I would bet money a lot of the science type people (Mythbusters, etc) started out as kids reading Popular Mechanics, and Popular Science that helped fuel the passion.
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                        X