X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you.

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
    D

Apparently, you race Mod and are looking to grow your Category by killing the A class in Stock.
    What he said.
    Michael J. Mackey
    Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
    Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
    Yamato Aficionado
    21-V

Comment

• Originally posted by thepiranhabros View Post
      What he said.
      Let's see ... we already had AMH and AMR so remind me again why APBA approved FAH and FAH.
      Untethered from reality!

Comment

• DR, Maybe the plugging and messing with the round ports made some OMC's not legal at the time. Do you think?
        bill b

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Thunder View Post
          Let's see ... we already had AMH and AMR so remind me again why APBA approved FAH and FAH.
          I'm not really sure what answer you're looking for, but I'll be glad to give you my take.

200CCMH and 200CCMR (FAH and FAR don't exist anymore) are for the previous OMC ASH and ASR drivers who want to modify their engines for higher performance? Whatever the reason, we don't really care. We don't race Mod, nor do we want to.

We do not want to make our OMC a Mod engine, and please don't just stick me and other guys like me there by default. Also please don't relegate us to buying a $4,500 engine that still doesn't have all of the kinks worked out of it yet (no offense to Sidewinder; not a slam in any way).

The OMC works. Parts are available. Plenty of OMCs are out in the field making ASH and ASR one of the biggest classes in the Stock category. I for one welcome the Sidewinder and wish it well in the A class. And as they all get really dialed in and grow in numbers, we will see a natural attrition of OMCs occur. But to toss all the OMCs out into Mod in favor of the new Sidewinder in one fell swoop would be a colossal mistake from which the A class might never recover.

By the way, the old argument that this is the same thing that happened in 1986 when the OMC replaced the KG4 will not hold water with me. Back then, recall, parts for the Mercury were scarcer than hen's teeth, and the OMCs were bulletproof right out of the box. Comparing the engine scenarios from 1986 and today is comparing apples and oranges.
          Michael J. Mackey
          Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
          Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
          Yamato Aficionado
          21-V

Comment

• I keep reading about sper OMC A's. I'm way out of the loop but could someone tell me what this means. With the KG4's, there were a lot of forbidden things you were allowed to do. Is it the same now?

I imagine milling both ends of the block and the head plus blueprinting the ports can't be proven. Am I right or is it something else?

Inspectors sometimes told me that there was lots of stuff I could do and I would ask them where I finished. I suspected that a block that was round at racing temperature was faster than a ported , squooshed , decked block.

John

Comment

• It finally appears that the problems with the SW15 are now resolved with the fixes planned to date. Let's see. The observable problems were, erratic motor running due to poor carburation and fuel falling out of suspension flooding the lower cylinder and leaning the top cylinder; loading up in the corners and erratic running down the chute until the motor cleared out; air flow problems entering into the carburator causing erratic flow metering and jetting. etc. Various fixes improved the symptoms but temporary fixes did not resolve all the issues. With the smaller manifold now being developed it appears that those issues are behind us. I have been working with one for two years now and feel confident that it will be a great motor for the A class for the 2013 racing season.

I do not have an alternative class to race other than AX and A as I weight 132 lbs and am 70 years old. B class is a great one for me albeit I am still a little light to race it but C is totally out of the question. Also Rgion 10 does not race B and The A class is a good step up for smaller adults and young racers and should be supported for many years.

As an aside. I raced wildcat races in Region 10 in the 50's and early 60's. We had A, B, C, and D standard runabouts using APBA powerheads on fishing lower units. It was amazingly popupular and was economical to run. Looking forward to the future of boat racing we should try to find a suitable out of the box 4 cycle motor and a boat that could be raced APBA

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                ...With the smaller manifold now being developed it appears that those issues are behind us...should try to find a suitable out of the box 4 cycle motor and a boat that could be raced APBA
                I have not as yet seen the new intake set up.
                Does it place the carb main jet closer to the reeds?

Karts run a 4-stroke 'Masters' class,
                heavy , slow, safe, inexpensive.
                Sorta like our old CServiceR or 36R.
                Big boats, 45mph.
                Not proposing a 'new' class, but we are missing out on a
                segment of the population that has no class to race in.
                Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

• According to Ed Runne the new manifold is closer to the reeds, reduced volume thus increasing the flow velocity which retains the fuel in the suspended mixture and provides a more balanced fuel load to each cylinder which eliminates the erratic power behavior and loading up. It should be available before the racing seasons starts.
                  Bob Smiley

Comment

Working...
                  X