Superchargers in Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superchargers in Mod?

Playing around with some things, having some fun. Wondering if there are any classes anywhere that would accept a supercharged four stroke? Thinking about FE, but not allowed in the rules. Input?

Not At This Time

At this time there is not a kneel down category in the APBA or NBRA that has a class for a Turbocharged, or super charged engine. I don't think the Pro division allows them either, but someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Per the American Outboard Federation rules Jan. 2010 pg.53 Under Super E modification notes:

2) No superchargers, turbochargers, or other similar mechanical devices are allowed. Engine must be normally aspirated.

Under Alcohol Classes pg.62
      2. Turbochargers or Superchargers are prohibited.

Per NBRA rules: Super E modification notes.

2. Engines must be normally aspirated. No super chargers, turbo chargers or other similar mechanical devices permitted.

That being said, I didn't see any restrictions in the Super Stock - General rules about motors being "Natural Aspirated". So under E-Hydro where there specifically isn't any restrictions for motor aspiration, one would assume turbo\supercharging is legal (actually per the rules all mod classes in AOF, except for SE and Alky, have no notes about motor aspiration). So Dave, you wanna run 20 pounds of boost on a 44xs?
      Last edited by Mr_dirt; 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM.
      Blue Thunder 55U - Sharky 97R
      sigpic

Comment

Noting the extra issues of adding FI to a two stroke, with lighter four stroke engines available now, wondering if there will be any interest from our American Friends in this route. I realize there are likely insurance issues with this, but written adequately there are always ways to satisfy underwriters.

Comment

AND IF there is a way we are allowed to run one in a class as such..... I think we have a contender haha.

Comment

I wonder if this is a rule "they've" over looked adding?

Technically the rules limit the displacement of a motor for a particular class, but they don't limit the number of motors one could hang on the back of a boat.
            sigpic

Comment

All classes are restricted to using conventionally made carburetors.
              sigpic

Comment

I noticed in FEH they do allow a 50hp suzuki 4 stroke using fuel injection, not that its the motor of my choice but more room to play than a carb. I can't find the superstock rules you mentioned...

Comment

If it's under 1 litre... bolt it to a ThunderCat. X-Class seems to permit this. You and Mike would make a good team. Take both of you to run the tiller likely. haha.
                  Fralick Racing
                  Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

ANDREW! This is exactly the kind of innovation we need! As long as the motor is legal somewhere We'll give shenuek(sp) a run for his money

Comment

Meltdown

Originally posted by Mr_dirt View Post
                      Per the American Outboard Federation rules Jan. 2010 pg.53 Under Super E modification notes:

2) No superchargers, turbochargers, or other similar mechanical devices are allowed. Engine must be normally aspirated.

Under Alcohol Classes pg.62
                      2. Turbochargers or Superchargers are prohibited.

Per NBRA rules: Super E modification notes.

2. Engines must be normally aspirated. No super chargers, turbo chargers or other similar mechanical devices permitted.

That being said, I didn't see any restrictions in the Super Stock - General rules about motors being "Natural Aspirated". So under E-Hydro where there specifically isn't any restrictions for motor aspiration, one would assume turbo\supercharging is legal (actually per the rules all mod classes in AOF, except for SE and Alky, have no notes about motor aspiration). So Dave, you wanna run 20 pounds of boost on a 44xs?
                      I don't think we could get away with 20 pounds. Things are already modified, I imagine the extra strain would make it very undependable. There are more effecient ways to get boost. The Pro's used water injection, and that worked pretty well.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Don't know if the rule still exists, but PRO engines with rotary valve induction (fairly standard for those high reving mills) could NOT turn the induction rotor faster than the engine crank - thus turning the rotary valve system into a supercharger. Apparently some tricky driver figured that out many moons ago to cause the rule.
                        carpetbagger

Comment

mmmmm turbo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ-tn...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                            I don't think we could get away with 20 pounds. Things are already modified, I imagine the extra strain would make it very undependable. There are more effecient ways to get boost. The Pro's used water injection, and that worked pretty well.
                            I hear ya buddy. I can blow up a motor without boost.

Does a leaky block off plate count as water injection? That might have been too much water.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X