Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual Cost of Propeller, The Magazine

Here’s my criticism and here’s my solution:

Background: I own a printing plant. We are a mid-sized plant located in Arlington, Washington. Along with printing, I have a graphic design staff, web designer, code-writer, signage/vinyl designer/installer and part-time mailing agent. I tell you this, because I have direct experience with newsletters very similar to Propeller. In 2010, we were designing (8) 50-96pg books per month, while additionally printing 20-30 books per month; we currently print (10) booklets which are not monthly, but typically every-other month now. We didn’t lose these jobs to other firms, the jobs just disappeared, just like Propeller.

Here are the real costs of Propeller, so when you say, I want Propeller back, this is what it costs us membership: These numbers are based on the July Issue of Propeller.

Propeller Magazine:
    Size: 8 ½”x11”; 40 pages
    Color: Full/Full
    Paper: 70# Gloss Book
    Other: Mail Prep, NCOA, CASS Certify SORY, Imprint, Address, Bundle and Deliver to Bulk Mail USPS Facility

Qty. 3500 = $5000
    Approximate Bulk-Rate Postage = $1550
    Qty. 10,000 = $8500 (6500 extra to pass out at local races)
    Approximate Bulk-Rate Postage = $1550

Rough time to design each newsletter (not including writing the articles) is an hour + per page, meaning this 40 page book quoted above, will take no less than 40 hours to design.

Directly associated costs for Propeller:
    Printing: $5000
    Postage: $1550
    Design: $800
    Gross: $7350
    Less: $1500 ??, Advertising Space at a rate of $300 per full page.
    Total: $5850

Everyone knows, you can always get something cheaper, but just because it’s cheaper doesn’t mean it’s better. Pricing can smartly be cut certain ways, but with the pricing above, we will end up with a very nice product.

What I recommend, based on the numbers is to do what APBA is currently doing – Print some Propellers, Digitize the rest. I say print the May, July, August, August 2 (National Event Special) Sept, and January (HOC issue). This would result in 6 printed/mailed Propellers and 6 Digital. This of course would be an add-on feature to your APBA membership. Assuming 1000 out of the current 3500 members want Propeller, add an additional $50 to their Yearly Membership fees. Propeller’s direct costs would then be self-sustaining. Once we have a great printed product out there, then the advertising revenue will follow.
    http://vitalire.com/

$50 for 6 printed issues sounds like a bargain.
    sigpic

http://social.apba.org/

Comment

John thanks for posting this...

I'll pay 50.00 to get the propeller.
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Magazine

Count me in too. Thanks for posting John.
        82F
        Mark O'Brien

Comment

Don't make wrong assumptions

We keep saying the digital age is where the younger generation is and only the old timers want the magazine in print. My 15 year old would prefer propeller in print way more. Seeing yourself and/or friends in print means much more than a digital image, even to the younger generation. Thanks for the info. We will pay

Comment

Propeller

I think the new format is terrible. Change it back and many more people will be interested. The new ones go into the garbage. Rocky

Comment

Guedo, Thanks for presenting a factual solution. I have enjoyed a printed Propeller for years. I am not in Eddie's target market age group at 57. I would be willing to pay and Oh by the way so would my 18 year old driver who happens to be in the digital target age group. Ya gotta love print.

Comment

Needless to say, I am a huge fan of the printed Propeller.
                Twisted Sister

Comment

Print

I'm in for paying extra for a printed version. I'm not diggin the new one.....
                  Shawn Breisacher

Comment

I did not renew my associate membership this year with the dropping of the monthly Propeller issues. I rarely even look at the on line issues. I like to beable to go back every so often to my old issues. They do not get thrown out.

Comment

so.....

I dont race anymore since the kids took over--but I have to pay APBA a membership fee to referee a race(volunteer) and with that--download the rule book and view the propeller online. AWESOME!!!!!
                      I disagree with Ed in a previous thread-- targeting younger viewers online--how many kids outside of racing rush home to their computer to view the propeller magazine? This is for the members essentially--and frankly I would rather see kids with a book and not at a computer all the time.
                      I have an 18month old daughter-- who is gun-ho with boats and racing (4th generation so go figure)-I am not thrilled to sit her in my lap infront of the computer to view the magazine-- much better with a printed version and family time on the couch.
                      So I guess-- we continue to re-read over and over the book Mikey Hauenstein published about kids in racing-- kind of awesome that Teagan's cousin-Ashley Rucker is on the front cover!! --- great book too !!!!!!!!
                      btw--as a non racing subscriber I see no point in paying for an apba membership for nothing in return--so I quit paying all together---

Comment

Susan I'm with you. I'm not going to pay for nothing either. I got 2 chairs and a pitcher of margarita's. We will sit on the beach and enjoy the sun and water. Mikey
                        mike ross

Comment

It doesn't matter how old you are, there is nothing more exciting than getting something in the mail that is not a BILL. I always look forward to getting the club newsletter. (THANKS STEVE) WILD BILL

Comment

I also agree with Susan and Mike. I quit joining APBA because I got nothing for my buck. Being a referee and make a judgement and your friends are not your friends anymore, no magazine, no need for secondary insurance. APBA should at the very least should cater to those who volunteer their time as officials and give them memberships.

Comment

Open Minded Approach

My mind is finally getting back to California time. Two weeks in Italy can make man do some serious thinking. AS I sat watching "Dancing with Stars" I thought maybe I should give this "DIGITAL" Propeller a chance.

After "Clicking" on this and that for about 20 minutes and not seeing anything except about Francis Hauenstein's passing, and getting my computer "Stuck" three times......Yes, I may very well be a computer "RETARD", but isn't the digital Revolution supposed to make life easier?

Bottom line: Who needs to read whatever is in the Propeller??? It is way too much trouble.

If it cost $50 A YEAR FOR THE PROPELLER MAGAZINE, I'D JOIN APBA....WELL, MAYBE!

THIS DIGITAL PROPELLERS SUCKS.

Comment

Working...
                              X