Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSY 400 2012 Participation

UIM OSY 400
    A quick summary of where we are: in 2012, the Pro Commission wrote Phase 1 of a 3-Part plan to gradually alter APBA OSY 400 to fall in line with UIM OSY 400. Phase 1 went to vote, passed and was implemented for 2012. Major changes included a weight of 396lbs and dock starts at national and divisional events. In addition to the rule changes, the Commission appropriately added a clause that requires current OSY participants not fall below 90% of 2011’s participants or else there is a possibility that they rules would convert back to those of 2011. Here are the current numbers:

2011 Participation: 56
    2012 Current Participation: 37
    2012 Goal for Participation: 51

The numbers on apba-racing.com are not up-to-the minute up to date (I know of two new participants from Aug 25/26) but is accurately shows the trend of participation.

I have been a big supporter of this transition, I believe it is what is best for APBA, the Pro Category and our local race clubs – opportunities are much greater, based even on availability of course sizes – small courses right in town would now be an option and setup is super easy. At the end of the Phase 3, UIM OSY 400 would be the most stock out of all the current classes we race which includes all classes in J, Stock, Mod and Pro while also be the most cost effective. Rules for UIM are already set; we can’t change them from year to year.

I understand UIM OSY 400 is not for everyone. Not everyone likes the exhilaration of when you and your team see the flag drop and you’re off to the first turn, or the excitement of flip-flopping the starting grid to make sure everyone has a chance, or qualifying the night/morning before, or you may not like the 100% stock, readily available all over the world, Yamato 302 – I get that! UIM OSY 400 is not for everyone. BUT the people that have directly given positive criticism and won’t be racing this class (non of which participated in APBA OSY 400) agree that this is the way they would build a class from scratch.

We members have already voted by pen to implement Phase 1 of the rule change, now us, the same members must vote by participating in OSY this year in order to continue forward with Phase 2.
    http://vitalire.com/

Guedo,
    What are the differences in the 302 between UIM OSY 400 and CSH?

Just curious.
    Elek Hutchinson
    36M

Comment

The major difference between a UIM OSY legal 302 and a CSH legal motor is the lower unit as well as the minimum CC's allowed - the stock head and lower unit (with the bulge) the only thing legal in UIM. In addition to having a set of specs, when a UIM OSY is inspected, if any question comes up, it is compared to a stock off-the-shelf part as a first resort. If you look at the UIM OSY rules, you'll see there is a total of 15 or so rules total; not an entire rule book with five levels of sub-points...

Getting into a deeper point of the potential of UIM OSY with respect to yourself, a relative newbie, is the availability of quality new parts. An 80, a great motor, went out of production in the 60s; the 102 went out of production in the late 70s ( might be wrong on that, but close enough), so tell me Hutch, what are the chances that you'll get a great 80 or a great 102? What are the chances you'll be able to get one of the great 302s, today, as a newbie?
      http://vitalire.com/

Comment

OSY 400 Totals

I bet most classes are not 90% of what they were the previous year?

It is a great idea. I hope the pro commission sticks with it. I wish we would of called the tag team event at Grass Lake OSY400 for the Hydros.....

12M

Comment

Guedo - Would be nice if the rules were posted here.

Charlie

Comment

I can't cut and paste from the rulebook

From the UIM website - http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...m-item,00.html

The Circuit rule book - http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite...-0-file,00.pdf

OSY400 specific rules begin on page 278, although there are other section(s) dealing with the boat itself, reinforced cockpit, sponson tips, etc.

Dave
            I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
            The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Chart

I threw this chart together off the top of my head(dangerous, I know) listing some of the basic differences between the existing yamato classes. I know there are a lot more differences, so any additions, subtractions or corrections would be appreciated. I will be happy to make the corrections and re-post the info if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
              Ron
              Attached Files

Comment

OSY in region 7

Guedo,

I hope the PRO commission can somehow take into account that some of the drop off in participation just happend for other reasons - ie - it was NOT due to a rejection of the new direction of the class and that the plans can move forward.
                Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

I know the two clubs in Ontario did not sanction any races with APBA this year due to rising costs (9 days of racing) and a growing CBF contingent. I believe it is the first time in at least 15 years we have not santioned with APBA. And we run OSY400 at these races. So this would be a portion of the drop in APBA numbers.

We had 11 scoring OSY400 drivers this year. Of those, I'd guess 7 are APBA members and I'd also guess that these drivers did not race OSY400 outside of our region.

I for one hope APBA continues down the path towards using stock out of the box yamato motors.
                  Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM. Reason: typos...
                  Fralick Racing
                  Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Working...
                  X