Mercury Mark 20-H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Mark 20-H

I am the original owner of two Merc Mark 20-H engines. I bougth the first one in 1954 if I remember correctly and wondering if anyone can tell by the S/N. They are 788996 which has the long foot and 789471 with a short foot. Going to do a bit more racing with them.

2 - 20h's...you lucky dog!

If this site cant help you, then I dont know where to send you..It should help. good luck and hopefully you can come and race with us at the Modified summer APBA nats this year in Franklin, Pa...you wont be disappointed.

http://www.oldmercs.com/
    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info. My brother and I both intend to get back into racing. By the way we started building the old speedliner model 510 that we bougth the plans and paterns for when we bought the lat A/B boat that Speedliner produced. We produced the boat under the Aeroliner nameplate for over 10 years and just started production again. Hope to have the boats for sale this spring.

Comment

I bought two extra long skeg lower units when I a bought the conversions. I ran the long on my BSH and the short on the BU. Still have the extra short quickie with conversion gears in it.

Comment

Old Mercs for Serial Numbers

Check out www.oldmercs.com to compare serial numbers with production years.

Dan

Comment

Aeroliner

Sam;-here is a pic of one of those 20Hs running on a Aeroliner at Huntington , NY .
            Attached Files
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Aeroliner II

Two pics of the Aeroliner "factory", circa 1966.
              Note sophisticated 'mass' forming techniques.
              Attached Files
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Aeroliner 1966

Those factory shots were in Babylon NY. You can imagine the fun when of the those lead shot backs broke. Those bags contained lead shot, same as used to build airplanes.

The two cans contained airplane dope. At the same time we were building boats we were restoring old airplanes. Would tie one to a tree to test run the engine and also blow the leaves away.

We built A/B Utilities and Hydro's and C/36 class utilities.

Old 23N my brother is in 59N

Comment

Van Weele bros.

Some pix of the Van Weele brothers, Alan and David, at a race in Red Bank NJ, in 1964.
                  Attached Files
                  Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

"Pits from Hell"

-two more pix of the pits at Red Bank, NJ.
                    I doubt we get insurance there today.
                    Attached Files
                    Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Hmmmm....looks like Venice, Italy! (And I'll bet no one complained about the pits!)

Dan
                      O-49

Comment

I forgot how much fun we had!

That is Alan in the first Hydro we ever built. I am the one in the T shirt. Probably just came in from an A race. We used to get quite a few boats in a race back then

David Van Weele

Comment

Bringing the engines back from a long winters sleep

As I stated above we still have the two B conversions but also we have two KG4-H engines that David ran. On top of that we ran a B engine that I modified for races out on Long Island for club events in EORC and another 22 cu in engine we ran for fun.
                          When we decided to go back to building and racing the first engine I started was one of the A's. These engines have been preserved for 20 years and I wanted to hear them run. I prelubed the engine, filled the gas tank and this is the honest truth!!! The engine fired and ran like it never was put away. Three pulls and running, that had me on cloud nine. I sent some photos of its first start to David so possiby he will post them. Folks might remember that we sold tail cones and foot part along with Keller hardware. Of intrest the A has our aluminum piston rings in the second and third grove along with my B engines. Could still produce them in A and B sizes in std.,+.015, and +.030.

Alan van Weele

Comment

Fibreglass Speedliner

This fibreglass M400 Speedliner was seen at the AOMC meet this past weekend in Suwanne FL.
                            Attached Files
                            Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Aluminum rings?

When my bosy started to race he scored a hot KG-4 that had aluminum rings in the lower grooves - maybe yours. When running 15ssH we would heat the lower rings to remove the temper and squish them into the grooves. Both my Hot Rod 15s registered 195 psi compression even with the soft rings down there. Of course that was with old style heads that were dangerously close to failing displacement inspection :-)
                              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X