Top o Michigan results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top o Michigan results

INDIAN RIVER -- Dustin Pearson of Indian River grew up around the Top O' Michigan Outboard Marathon Nationals.

On a sunny wind-swept Sunday afternoon, Pearson, 27, won his first Class C national title by holding off Mark Kurz of Indian River and the largest class in the race field to earn first place in the annual event which covers six different lakes and rivers along the Inland Waterway.

"I feel on top of the world right now," Pearson said. "I grew up in Indian River, I live in Mount Pleasant now with my wife, but I've been coming up here every year and have been watching it every year. It feels great to finally be in the race and let alone win it.

"I can't explain the feeling of it."

Pearson, who was driving fellow racer Kim Park's boat, overcame rough water Saturday during the first half of the race north through Mullett Lake, where he punctured a hole in his 475-pound craft yet still managed to finish first in his class.

"I'm really happy with the result," Pearson said. "I was more concerned about the boat than I really was about myself (Saturday). We were able to flip it over and patched it up and I just hoped for the best. The boat held up."

With a lead entering Sunday's second half of the course, Pearson knew he just had to finish ahead of Kurz to take the checkered flag. Sunday's course took racers across Burt Lake through the Crooked River and around Crooked Lake, back through the Indian River to a turnaround in Mullett Lake, and then a return through the Indian River to a finish line at the pits at DeVoe Park in Indian River.

"He (Kurz) passed me in the north end of Burt Lake and I passed him in Crooked Lake," Pearson said. "Then he passed me back in Burt Lake before about a mile out from Indian River I passed him again. My plan was to stay ahead of him going into Indian River and if I could do that, I figured I'd have the race."

Pearson, who's cousin Josh Pearson is a four-time winner in Class D and his uncle, Gordon Pearson, is also a winner in Class D, said he was thankful for having solid roots entering the race years ago.

"I've had some good teachers and I have a lot to be thankful for in them," Pearson said. "I also have to think Kim Park. He's won this race before as well and he's always been a good contender."

Pearson added the rough water conditions favored his racing style.

"I loved the conditions," he said. "I love the rough water and I get over it pretty well. There were a few times coming into Indian River I got about 3 feet of air off some waves, it kind of scared me a little bit, but it was either fly out of the boat or pass Mark, that was the strategy for the day."

Kurz finished second on both days and was second overall, while Tyler Shenski of Flat Rock was third.

Class A

Terry Kerr has witnessed it all in his 23-year career racing at the marathon nationals.

Everything except an outright victory.

The Gibralter native's wait finally came to an end Sunday as the 38-year-old held off a fast challenge from Anne Blomberg to capture his first Class A Stock Runabout national title.

Kerr, who last year shared the title with Lynne Blomberg (Anne's sister) of Harbor Springs because of an equipment disqualification, has been telling himself he'd retire after he finally wins in Class A.

Now, the Flat Rock resident isn't so sure if he'll hang it up.

Kerr, who started racing at age 16 after his father told him he was either "going to love it, or I'd hate it," said he was touched to receive multiple congratulations from fellow long-time drivers such as Wayne Blomberg -- the father of Lynne and Anne -- and Wayne Peterson following his win.

"I've had more second-place finishes here probably than anyone else," Kerr said. "I usually lose to someone from the area, but I've had a lot of good battles."

This year, Kerr was battling with Anne Blomberg, a former champion herself with a fast boat.

"She's faster than me, so I looked for her to be next to me both days," Kerr said. "I actually broke down on Mullett Lake (Sunday) and I just don't know what happened. I was able to take the cover off my motor without sinking and the throttle was open. Maybe I was stepping on the fuel line. I don't know, but I just kept roping and finally it started.

"It wasn't going to be easy either way."

On Saturday's trek north to the Cheboygan River and back, Kerr had the luxury of his fuel tank creep into his lap.

"It definitely turned into an endurance race mentally for me," he said.

Kerr, who grew up on the Detroit River and around racing his entire life, said he was glad his wife -- who also races -- step-father and step-brother were in attendance this weekend.

"It's pretty emotional," he said. "I just think this is the best race in the world."

Anne Blomberg finished second on Saturday and third Sunday and was second overall, while J.R. Broge of Wyandotte was third overall.

Class B

Amanda Hagerl of Brutus has had some bad luck the past few seasons.

Her luck turned around Sunday, however, whereas the rest of her competition suffered horrible luck.

Hagerl was one of just two Class B Stock Runabout to finish both days as the 26-year-old captured her first-career Class B Stock Runabout national title.

Class D

A new boat for veteran racer Nick Ladd of Alanson, and a very, very favorable result.

Ladd had just one week to get acquainted with his new 500-pound plus Class D Stock Runabout after his friend Mark Kurz and he built a new boat for this season.

It proved to be just enough time as Ladd went flag-to-flag on Saturday and finished second in his class Sunday to claim his first national title in Class D since 2007.

"It's great," said Ladd, 42. "You get a little older and you start to doubt yourself a little, but you come back and you fight hard. It gets a little harder each year, but it's nice to be able to compete with these guys. Everybody in this class, we're all friends and buddies, but when you go out racing you want to do the best you can."

Ladd said he was concerned about the race this year with his new piece of equipment.

"We finished it about a week before the race and I tested it every single night the week before," Ladd said. "I was GPSing pretty slow and I was really concerned I wasn't going to be a top contender. I just wanted to be a top five guy and it just so happened with the combination of the boat, the weather conditions and everything else, it worked out."'

Ladd got off to a good start Saturday and was the lead boat in his class into Mullett Lake, where he then held the lead through the Cheboygan River and back to Indian River.

"I assumed guys would come up on me, but I was fortunate enough to keep an adequate pace where I was able to keep out in front. I told all the guys I was running scared."

On Sunday, Ladd finished runner-up on the day to Charlie Smith of Petoskey. Smith, however, didn't finish on Saturday and wasn't a factor in the overall standings.

"He's (Smith) super fast in the calm water and I'm a little bit better in the rough water," Ladd said. "Today for me was to drive smart, not drive hard."

Ladd also lauded the efforts of his brothers, Matt Ladd and Jim Ladd, who also were in Class D and pushed Ladd throughout the race.

"My brothers both ran super strong, they got a second and third and they were constantly keeping me on my toes the entire time, just dogging me," Ladd said.

Veteran driver Wayne Blomberg of Harbor Springs finished second on Saturday, fifth on Sunday and was second overall, while Smith was third with his first place finish Sunday.

Class 25SSR

Rob Wilkins of Indian River figured his time would come again sooner or later.

On Sunday, it did for the 57-year-old veteran racer, who was competing for the 14th time in the marathon.

Wilkins captured his first Class 25SSR Stock Runabout national title since 2001, overcoming rough water conditions both days to take the crown.

"I just keep trying and trying and sooner or later, you can do it," Wilkins said. "It just so happened to be my weekend."

Wilkins said the stars were all in alignment for him this weekend, as whitecaps on both Burt Lake and Mullett Lake suited his driving style perfectly.

"The rougher the water, the more of an advantage I have because I run a larger boat," Wilkins said. "I build my own boats and I build them big, build them for the rough water. In smooth water, I'm going to get killed on Mullett Lake, but it was rough and it wasn't no drag race out there."

Wilkins said there were about five or six drivers in his class he had concerns about, including defending champion Fred Hollerback.

"I just wanted to drive as hard as I could every second I was out there," Wilkins said. "When you think you're not going fast enough, just go a little bit harder. You don't let up and except your results from there. If the stars line up for you, good for you. There were some fast guys who had problems yesterday, but the stars just lined up for me this year."

Hollerback was second on both Saturday and Sunday and was second overall, while Justin Giesler of Goodrich was third overall.

HOW THEY FINISHED
    Class A
    1. Terry Kerr, Flat Rock
    2. Anne Blomberg, Alanson
    3. J.R. Broge, Wyandotte
    Class B
    1. Amanda Hagerl, Brutus
    2. Chris Hagerl, Brutus
    3. Jesse Swain, Ripon, Wis.
    Class 25SSR
    1. Rob Wilkins, Indian River
    2. Fred Hollerback, Alanson
    3. Justin Giesler, Goodrich
    Class C
    1. Dustin Pearson, Mount Pleasant
    2. Mark Kurz, Indian river
    3. Tyler Shenski, Flat Rock
    Class D
    1. Nick Ladd, Alanson
    2. Wayne Blomberg, Harbor Springs
    3. Charlie Smith, Petoskey
    Class J
    1. Colin Smith, Jackson
    2. Leland Broge, Wyandotte
    3. Mackinnon Pflazer, Lake Forest, Ill.
    broccoli

Inflatable results and complete article are available :http://www.petoskeynews.com/sports/p...,7175437.story
    broccoli

Comment

Working...
    X