Plug Wires 102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug Wires 102

Anyone replace their plug wires on a Yamato 102? How are they attached to the coil? Spoke with Ric M, he thought they were just glued in, and the coil had a spike in it.

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark 55P
    Team Tower
    Hydroplane Division

Correct. Do not break the spike.
    bill b

Comment

Wires

He is correct. just pull the wire out and replace.
      question, why are you wanting to do this?????????

Comment

Originally posted by S Henderson View Post
        He is correct. just pull the wire out and replace.
        question, why are you wanting to do this?????????
        Cause they are 28 years old. Same reason I am getting a head with 14mm plug threads, so I don't have to use 20+ year old plugs.

I am a rookie, and you know how we are, just can't help fiddling with stuff.
        Mark 55P
        Team Tower
        Hydroplane Division

Comment

wire replace

Make sure there is no corrosion in the coil plug wire recess. I put dielectric grease in recess before the wire is pushed in and then seal around entrance with silicone.
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Diving into the project shortly. Let you know how it turns out.
            Mark 55P
            Team Tower
            Hydroplane Division

Comment

plug wire

The wire on the 102 does NOT have a spike in it like
              the 80 coil.The wire is solid coming out of the coil to
              the plug wire.Need to check with Tom Johnston how
              to change plug wire
              Tom

Comment

102 wires

yes!!! they do have a spike . just replaced mine! Rick at rpm and bill boyes are write.
                Attached Files

Comment

If the spike is broken TJ is good as he uses a drammell and cuts away material around the spike.
                  bill b

Comment

With a bit of lithium, got the first wire released. Appears to be a spike in the coil. Thought I screwed the pooch when I eased the 2nd wire out. The wire had what appeared to be a spike on the end! About ready to sell the motor for scrap. Finally looked in the hole on the coil, and saw the spike. What I saw on the wire was a bit of copper core. Lucked out. Reassemble tomorrow.
                    Mark 55P
                    Team Tower
                    Hydroplane Division

Comment

Finished. Being I did not go to Nationals, and had a 5 week lay off, I tore the 102 apart. Crank was ok, and pistons. New rings, and a new head with 14mm plug holes. Gonna be nice to have new plugs every race weekend. The plug wire replace went well. Only 7mm wires fit the coil. NGK waterproof caps too. Smooth out the hull a bit, and I'll be done.
                      After watching the Nationals on Live Stream for 2 days, can't wait for Lock Haven.

Mark
                      Still a rookie
                      Mark 55P
                      Team Tower
                      Hydroplane Division

Comment

Ok, Take those nice looking NKG plg caps and throw them in the trash. Go find some OLD Fashion ones with the coil in the cap, TJ has them
                        Trust me, I thought these NKG caps with the best thing next to sliced bread. They will give you lots of trouble. I know. You fight a motor problem and these caps will look just fine. GET RID OF THEM.
                        bill b

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                          Ok, Take those nice looking NKG plg caps and throw them in the trash. Go find some OLD Fashion ones with the coil in the cap, TJ has them
                          Trust me, I thought these NKG caps with the best thing next to sliced bread. They will give you lots of trouble. I know. You fight a motor problem and these caps will look just fine. GET RID OF THEM.

Thanks Bill. Easy replace. What do you think the the problem is with the NKG caps? Where they grip the threaded part of the plug? I figured they would hold better. I got them from a local dirt bike shop, and he swears by them.
                          Mark 55P
                          Team Tower
                          Hydroplane Division

Comment

will those Bakalite (SP) ones you have on the motor the spring will wear out and thin get loose on the plug. Also many 14mm plugs you cannot unscrew the top on the plug to expose the threads.
                            so heck i bought the rubber ones. after a year or so in use. Traveled to Cullaby Lake in Or. Motor runs great first heat i think my son won. Next heat motor would not start. Would run great on the beach. Go to the Nationals. Matt is going good about to make a pass for first in Elim heat. Motor dies in the turn and then restarts it self and he get a 6th or something and fails to qualify. again motor runs great on the beach. Next race no problems.
                            Then Bakersfield and I took the NKG cap from the spark plug and it comes apart in my hand. Get rid of them.
                            bill b

Comment

Thanks Bill. Will replace with rubber caps. Those things do take a beating, with the wind vibrations, and heat. Thanks for the heads up. Might have saved me a tow.
                              Mark 55P
                              Team Tower
                              Hydroplane Division

Comment

Working...
                              X