ASH Champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASH Champs

What a list. Driving on the edge of sanity in the late 70's/early 80's. Jacked to the moon and skating all over the place.

'51-Joe Lelly
    52-Dean Chenowith
    53-Don Baldacini
    54-Don Baldacini
    55-Don Benson
    56-Dean Chenowith
    57-Dave Hoggard
    58-Dave Hoggard
    59-Eddie Wulf
    60-Jack Evans
    61-Don Christy
    62-George Stillwill
    63-Billy Hutchins
    64-Billy Hutchins
    65-Jerry Lohrer
    66-Stuart Wilson
    67-Stuart Wilson
    68-Brian Berger
    69-Brian Berger
    70-Mike Minea
    71-Bill Hutchins
    72-Dave Hoggard
    73-Steve DeFeo
    74-Steve DeFeo
    75-Jeff Hutchins
    76-Cuck Zolkoske
    77-Mark Demaray
    78-Tom Marcell
    79-Jeff Hutchins
    80-Billy Hutchins
    81-Kenny France
    82-Juli Seaman
    83-Scott Davidson
    84-Howard Pickerell
    85-Jeff Berghauer
    86-Joe Zoloske III
    87-Dana Holt
    88-Andy Hansen
    89-Kenny France
    90-Kenny France
    91-Bob Trolian
    92-Paul Trolian
    93-Billy Allen
    94-Don Graham IV
    95-Billy Allen
    96-Steven Dawe
    97-Bittu Spedding
    98-Jay Fox
    99-Jean McKay-Schwartz
    00-Carl Holt
    01-Bent Dillard
    02-Glen Sevenson
    03-D. Difebo
    04-John Palmquist
    05-Dave Bennett
    06-D. Difebo
    07-Dan Hauenstein
    08-Andy Hansen
    09-James Luce
    10-JM Kelly
    11-Jay Fox

Billy Hutchins

Still the King of ASH....4-time champ Billy Hutchins.

I've heard many stories of how great a driver he was. Wish I could have seen it.
    www.trora.com

Comment

Butt kicking

Originally posted by Brew56 View Post
      Still the King of ASH....4-time champ Billy Hutchins.

I've heard many stories of how great a driver he was. Wish I could have seen it.
      In 1971, my rookie year we pitted with Hutchins in warm Lake Placid, FL in mid August.

I finished 5th in my ASH elimination. I believe i had Stu (DOC) Wilson, Jerry AC Waldman, Andy Hansen, Jeff Hutchins etc etc etc to 'learn' from. The thing that i found amazing about both Hutchins bro's was how guys that tall could coil up like snakes in those little boats and vanish in the cockpit!!

I believe there were maybe 4 or 5 ASH elimination heats that year. It was the hottest week of racing i have even seen. Every day was 100 degrees with a 4pm thunderstorm which gave us the sauna effect. Nice!

Later.

Comment

Knew Billy, Jeff and WT for many years and when you beat Jeff or Billy you were running pretty good. I remember one time WT put together a 20-H with everything new in the powerhead, first heat Billy went into the first turn and barrel rolled it there was nothing left any good in the powerhead WT just looked at it and never said a word just shook his head.
        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

I may have told this story before about Jeff Hutchins but I’ll tell it again.

One year at Dayton we’re running 25H. I’m out front and going through the corner Jeff passes me on the outside and he’s floating the sponsons around the corner. Now this is before the boats were built to do this. We go into the second corner and Jeff has a boat length or two on me. I decide I’m going to try floating my sponsons around the corner to try and stay with him. About .1 millisecond later I’m in the water. I get towed in and Don Sr. asks me what happened. I tell him and he starts laughing and says so what did you learn. I reply, I can’t turn like Hutch.

The guy was unreal in a boat. Watching him start from as far away as one could on the outside with his sponsons floating as high as they could and nailing every start was unreal.

I’ve always thought for my era and who I have seen race that Jeff was the best Hydro driver and David Dewald was the best runabout driver.
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

I have a huge sense of pride for the fact that there are two GIRLS on the list and I had the chance to grow up around both of them! Go Nor Cal Girls!
            Dan Wilde
            58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

Working...
            X