35SSR
    '79-Fred Miller
    80-Chuck McCabe
    81-Racer Allen

C2

Don't forget C2R.

Comment

Really?

Fine drivers...but it never should have been its own class.

'95-Froehlich, Jr.
      96- Craig Bowman
      97-Butch Ott

Comment

NOW, we are ready for hydros.

Needed Bowman to get his credit, he just had a birthday and all.

Comment

11 years between champinships

1957 to 1968 is eleven years.....Quite a dedication to boat racing and a class. Danny Schwarzenbach was a real "Mover and shaker" of racing in Region 12, dropping 36 Runabout was the biggest negative APBA ever did to Stock Outboard Boat Racing in SoCal.

1977: 35 SS Runabout Raced at the Bakersfield Nationals. Racer Allen won, I was second. 35 SS HYdro, Hank Menzies won, I was second. Just and FYI!!

Bastered ran
          "Gapped Plugs"...
          Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

What is 36R? What type of motors did they use?

Sincerely,

Doug

Comment

36 class engines

The engines that were used in 36 were, in the earlier days, Westbend and later Chrysler 2 cylinder service engines. 35 cubic inch.

They used the regular lower unit with BIG 2 blade props. I remember that they could turn on a dime and left a hole big enough for a smaller boat to fall into.

The boats were 13'6" D utilities and back then, most were the older double cockpit hulls. this was before the class was killed by the 35SS class when the 402x engine was made available.

Stan Fitts also ran a stock Merc 402 service engine the last few races we scheduled the class in New England

Pete
              Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

Mid 50's and early 60's they used the 36 cu in 2 cyl OMC
                bill b

Comment

Originally posted by BabcockBros38A View Post
                  The engines that were used in 36 were, in the earlier days, Westbend and later Chrysler 2 cylinder service engines. 35 cubic inch.

They used the regular lower unit with BIG 2 blade props. I remember that they could turn on a dime and left a hole big enough for a smaller boat to fall into.

The boats were 13'6" D utilities and back then, most were the older double cockpit hulls. this was before the class was killed by the 35SS class when the 402x engine was made available.

Stan Fitts also ran a stock Merc 402 service engine the last few races we scheduled the class in New England

Pete
                  36 Class started life with 25 HP Johnson and Evinrude motors. When my dad was motor inspector at the 1953 Winnebagoland Marathon, Carl and his people, came to my dad and asked him, "What can we do with this 36 class and those "god **** Evinrudes'?" My having raced Evinrude Racing C's since the 40's, my dad looked Carl in the eyes and said, "Let me worry about them." It was clear to my dad that Carl and Mercury Outboards was poutting on the race and Carl didn't want any other motor on the lake.

The class was the "BACK BONE" of Stock Racing in SoCal. Most 36 drivers we older and well established with their life. The had time to devote to a boat club. In SCOA.............Ken Scoville was Publicity Chairman, after every race all SCOA winners names would be in Monday morning's L.A. Times....Right there with A.J. Foyt and Parnelli Jones. Our finance Chairman was Lane Curry, we never seemed to need money when Lane was out finance guy. Dan Schwarzenbach was our Commodore. Gordon Schwarzenbach worked at Northrop Aviation and he reserved us a meeting room every month. There were alwasy 5-8 36 Runabouts at a race. They could also be Patrol Boats has they had shifter gear cases.

In 1964, the Stock Commission legalize the Chrysler (West Bend), we lost half our drivers in 36. Then by 1970 the Commission legalized the 402 Merc....at about the time everyone in California had finally bought Chryslers and got the boat count up. Al Stoker, the most famous MOD VP racer ever, raced 36 Runabout...and C and D also.

It was a great "starter" class because equipment was cheap, and speeds were slow. It was also a great "Keeper" class as many raced only 36, with a one boat trailer, fore many, many years. Tito Smith (Chief tito) still has his 36 ready to go and does Mickey Schwarzenbach....almost 40 years since the Stock Commission killed this great class!
                  Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X