What's going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on?

Six hours ago, the LaSalle News Tribune reported that unless the level of Lake Depue was raised, the 2012 Pro Nationals would be moved to a location...........(end of access for me because I am not a subscriber to the newspaper).
    What's going on? We need to make plans.
    Check-book

Hope this helps

This month’s APBA PRO National Championship Boat Races in DePue could be in jeopardy.

Due to low water levels, the safety of Lake DePue — the host of the APBA PRO National Championships for the past 27 years — has become a serious concern.

According to DePue’s Village President and the race’s publicity chairman Eric Bryant, Lake DePue is currently 3 feet deep and needs to be a minimum of 5 feet deep in order to ensure the safety of the participants during the three-day event, which is scheduled for July 27-29.

The PRO Commission set a Wednesday night deadline for DePue to inform it whether the city would be able to find and implement a solution that would make Lake DePue safe to race on by July 25, the first day of APBA PRO National Championship testing.

Bryant asked for and received an extension on the deadline until 2 p.m. Friday, at which time the PRO Commission will hold a conference call and Bryant must give a definite answer as to whether water levels can be raised.

In an effort to help Lake DePue reach its minimum-required depth, Illinois State Senator Frank Mautino spent part of Wednesday working with Bryant to gain federal assistance to raise water levels.

In response, the Department of Natural Resources is looking into installing a portable dam or another dam where the mouth of Lake DePue meets the Illinois River.

As of press time, DePue is waiting to hear whether a portable dam can be installed. If a portable dam can be used, its installation is likely to begin Friday at the earliest.

In addition to the dam, water from the Illinois River also will be pumped into the lake.

“We have to have a plan in place and be able to guarantee Friday at 2 p.m. that we will have 5 feet of water in the lake on July 25,” Bryant said. “Now there’s no way we are going to get that amount of water in there by Friday at 2 p.m., but we have to have a plan in place so that the dam will be there and that we are able to pump enough water into the lake so that we can raise the level of the lake 2 feet. We think we can do that.”

If the water level of Lake DePue cannot be raised, the 2012 APBA PRO National Championships will be moved from DePue to a location and time to be determined at a later date.

If the races are moved, the preliminary plans are to still hold some of the week-long events associated with the races, Bryant said. However, nothing has officially been decided.

Everyone involved hopes the races remain in DePue.

“I am confident we are going to have a plan in place and we will be able to guarantee them Friday at 2 p.m. that we will have 5 feet of water in that lake,” Bryant said.

Jared Bell can be reached at 220-6938, or at sports@newstrib.com.

Comment

Thank you so much!

I, and I'm sure, others, appreciate your explanation. I hate rumors; they are usually only partially accurate and succeed only in in generating more rumors that are even less accurate. Hopefully, the water-raising approaches will work and we can again enjoy our national championships at DePue. But, whereever and whenever, we'll be there.
      Check-book

Comment

R Austin posted this link on Boat Racing Facts, it talks about what is going on.

http://www.bcrnews.com/2012/07/12/no...50fmp4/?page=1
        I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
        The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Pro Commission Chairman Steve Greaves posted

https://social.apba-racing.com/discu...-championships
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Where is Capon Lake, OK? What town is it near? A Google search hasn't turned up anything....

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I believe its the Race site of last years Ok race.
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Copan lake?

Comment

I think it's a new race site in N.E. Oklahoma, and it's Copan Lake.

From the USTS website, http://gcchamps.net/

From Google, http://www.lakelubbers.com/copan-lake-741/

Dave

EDIT: Gary beat me to it.....
                  I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                  The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_E71 View Post
                    N.E. Oklahoma, and it's Copan Lake.

Dave
                    Thanks. The APBA site has it spelled wrong.

Y'all need to get a race further south. I haven't seen a U.S.T.S. race in a long time. Would love to see y'all race again.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I'm concerned about the wind!

Look out in the first turn, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
                      And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
                      When the wind comes right behind the rain.

Comment

Depue

Originally posted by Check-book View Post
                        Six hours ago, the LaSalle News Tribune reported that unless the level of Lake Depue was raised, the 2012 Pro Nationals would be moved to a location...........(end of access for me because I am not a subscriber to the newspaper).
                        What's going on? We need to make plans.
                        Check-book
                        HI---
                        The Pumps are running. THERE WILL BE A NATIONALS AND RACERS REUNION AT DEPUE. A lot of people worked hard and came up with a plan to raise the water to safe levels. See the post byTim Small or go to the USTS web site. See you at DePue!

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X