Help for Newbies and Veterans Alike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Newbies and Veterans Alike.

I raced J as a kid, and then politics, school and life came along and I decided to take a step back from boat racing. I eventually ended up professionally racing 1/24 scale slot cars. The hobby was great, and I ended up making thousands of dollars while racing which helped pay for college. After college, I ended up coming back to boating, clearly not for the money, but for the fun.

Our Monthly newsletter (which you had to buy on the newsstand) offered up great information on races, good advertisements, etc. - similar to what Propeller can be again with some help.

One feature the magazine had, which I really appreciated, was every winner from a big race (there was 4/5 BIG classes at a BIG race) had a photo of their car taken and all the car's specs were written down (very much like when you set a record) and then were published for all to see.

I was then able to take this data, see how my car setup was different tune appropriately.

What I am willing to do, and challenge others, is to voluntarily offer up this information, for the good of all.

So, to get it started and for example purposes, I will give everyone the specs I ran on the OSY 400 for the last 4 years at Depue and set seven records with.

Boat
    Boat Name: Blue Devil
    Boat MFG: Altralight
    Boat Bottom Width: 36"
    Trip Length: 77"
    Boat weight with Driver: 360
    Fin: Tietze
    Paint and Graphics: Penway Media

Motor
    Make: Y302
    Block Originally Machined by: ?
    Foot Originally Machined by: Cronk
    Head Machined by: John Peeters
    Crank Balance: John Myers
    Timing: 260
    CC's: +1.5 legal
    Maintained By: John Peeters

Prop
    MFG: Dewald
    Tuned: WayneCo
    Shape: 4-blade Tulip/Cleaver
    Pitch: 11.75"
    Diameter: 6.6"
    Rake: 5

Setup
    Tuck: 1/8" over 12"
    Depth: 1/8"

Fuel: 1/2 110 Racing / 1/2 87 non-ethonal Pump
    Oil: Dumade Castor
    Ratio: 32:1

The people I am challenging to offer this type of information are divisional winners, national winners, local races with elims (16 or more boats). I would like to see this information printed in Propeller as well as her on HR.

I was so shocked when I started to read those slot car magazines that everyone would offer up information so easily. I ask one of the leaders in the sport and he said he'll tell you everything he uses on the cars, even build it for you, but now you need to beat him on the race track - seems simple enough to me!

Is there any other information that would be applicable to this type of form?
    Attached Files
    http://vitalire.com/

John, we would do the same but we change all the time, it's a great idea and I've learned from your information...I'm afraid we will be still chasin you even with all that information...

Comment

I will play along...

Most recent National Championship was ASR in 2009.
      Hull: Davids Motorsports By Jerry & Joyce
      Motor: Ed Runne .30 over OMC
      Foot: Cronk
      Prop: Bennett Boats
      Fuel: half Power Mist T-102/half 87 pump
      Oil: Power Mist Super 2
      Set up: tucked 1/8", max height
      Safety: SRP
      My wifes' patience: priceless...
      Future J dad!

Comment

The only constant is change! This information provided would be what you ran during the race to give you the win, not necessarily your year-long base line.

I'm having my intern put together a generic form tomorrow that anyone can use. Would anyone like more information added?

Region 10 has a race this weekend at Little American Lake, and I'll ask the winners of the 4 biggest classes to fill out the forms if they are willing - I'll scan and post them for all to see.

Comment

Well, I've won a few with this one..

John, another good idea. I will offer up what I can.

Class: CSH Western Divisional Winner '07, '11
          Boat
          Boat Name: 'Ol Blue
          Boat MFG: B&H Hydros
          Afterplane Length: 76"
          Boat weight with Driver: 440-450
          Fin: Tietze
          Paint and Graphics: Kyle Lewis/AP Vinyl

Motor
          Make: Y302
          Block Originally Machined by: TJ
          Foot Originally Machined by: Cronk
          Head Machined by: John Myers
          Crank Balance: TJ
          Timing: 235
          CC's: 25.505
          Maintained By: Kyle Lewis

Prop
          Tuned: Dan Byrne
          Shape: Tulip
          Pitch: Unknown
          Diameter: Unknown
          Rake: Unknown

Setup
          Tuck: 3/8" over 12"
          Depth: 3/4"
          Trip: 17.5"

Fuel: 87 non-ethanol Pump
          Oil: Royal Purple
          Ratio: 32:1
          Gear Oil: Royal Purple 75w/90
          Attached Files
          Last edited by HydroKyle93R; 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM.
          28-R

Comment

Inspection

John
            I will inspect your boat this coming Sunday to the specs you have listed
            in this tread OKAY.Will be in Tacoma Friday till Monday for a family reuion.
            Have a pass for the race,Ric M. got it for me.See yall Sunday at inspection.
            Tom:
            thewave:

Comment

Very Cool..however all I will ever have to share is I'm having a blast running behind ya'll!!!

We used to do the same in SCCA Autocross..Tire make/ pressure's/Caster-Camber settings /Front-rear Brake bias..etc etc etc..but as the man said..still had to beat 'em in The Race..great idea John!
              Roger A 68M
              Team Casual

Comment

Great idea John

Very cool idea, I think it would be very cool in Propeller and would help take some of the mystery out of winning.

Very cool!

Comment

This is the motor that won three nationals 2006 AXH Val, 2008 AXR James Luce, and 2010 Abby Pond plus I finished 2nd in AXH IN 2008 plus won both elims and few Divisonals with it.

Boat
                  Boat Name: None
                  Boat MFG: Hemp Kit
                  Trip Length: 64-1/2
                  Boat weight with Driver: 345
                  Fin: home made
                  Paint and Graphics: Mini Wax and Rustolum.

Motor
                  Make: Merc 15 hp
                  Block : Mercury Replacement block bored .015 by Ruck
                  Foot : New Racing outboards profiled by Cronk
                  Head : DNA
                  Crank and Rods Pistons. Select Balanced.
                  Timing: Max advance
                  CC's: legal
                  Maintained and built by me.

Prop
                  Tuned: Dewald
                  Shape: 3-blade Cleaver
                  Pitch: 11..50"
                  Diameter: 6-5/8
                  Rake: High Rake

Setup
                  Tuck: 1/2" over 12"
                  Depth: 1 and 3/8

Fuel: 93 non-ethonal Pump
                  Oil: Penzoil Syc Blend
                  Ratio: 24:1
                  Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Spec / Tech Form

Attached is a basic form that we can use. I say, just scan the image once it's filled out and post it here.

I'll be passing these out at American Lake this weekend here in Region 10 so hopefully we'll get some good information out for all to see.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks John, I think this will be a very great resource.

I looking at getting into 1/10 scale short course off-road RCs. Each manufacturer has a similar resource where drivers can post information on their winning setup.
                      Blue Thunder 55U - Sharky 97R
                      sigpic

Comment

weight 360

not sure on the weight your saying i was 385 in mine and i know i weight 25more pounds than you...more like 40 pounds what do you weight 140 soaking wet...so maybe drop that atleast to 345 but good info..

Comment

For yall that run 302's, where are you running your carb clicks?
                          And how are you determining that, by reading spark plugs or some other way?

Comment

Originally posted by mdaspit View Post
                            For yall that run 302's, where are you running your carb clicks?
                            And how are you determining that, by reading spark plugs or some other way?
                            Varies somewhat, but I would say a good starting point is around 42 to 46 clicks. Read your plugs after a heat of racing or test lap. Light brown should be what you're looking for
                            Sean Byrne

Comment

Hey John, I guess you are bring a C runabout back for me from Mark O'Brien. In case you lost my cell its, 360-477-9121 let me know about the details and I want to thank you very much for doing this. BTW have you done anything with those honeycomb panels you bought from me last year? Good luck and take care, Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X