Starting my project in a few months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my project in a few months

I've been sitting over here in Korea (active duty Air Force) racking my brain as to how I'm going to go about building my first hydro when I get back Stateside, and I have come to the conclusion that I need to find someone who can cut out my frame parts with a CNC machine. Otherwise, I'll probably spend years driving myself to madness, trying to get the curves just perfect.
    I've got plans drawn up and most of my measurements finalized. I just need to build my jig, buy my stock and get started. Is there anyone within reasonable driving distance of Moody Air Force Base (Valdosta, south-central Georgia, thirty miles or so north of the Florida line) who has CNC and can carve boat bones for me? If so, any idea on the cost of a venture like that?
    Thanks,
    Duck

Not within easy driving, but B&B Yachts in Vandemere, NC has a CNC machine they use to cut kit parts for several of their designs. Very small company and I'm sure they would do it. B&B also has marine ply at reasonable prices, or you could swing by Atlantic Veneer Mill Outlet in Beaufort, NC on the way back and pick up ply and lumber.

Or you could transfer the design onto ply and go to work with a Japanese pull saw. Less noise, less splinters on the cut edge, and I can casually zip along at around 2'/per minute. Curves no problem.
    carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
    X