Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about racing stock utility runabouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about racing stock utility runabouts?

Why not race STOCK runabout equipment?
    When I started to race in the 1950s the idea was that stock racing was for factory boats and mototrs that were not especially equipped for racing. I recall motors without quickies in comptetition, not unlike the "36" class that later saw some popularity. Also, the runabouts were truly "utilities" that meant two cockpits with a seat in front. As such, I fished from my AU and even carried my grandmother across the lake for a pleasure spin when I was not in competition.

I read in hydroracer so much controversy about the need for available, affordable and truly stock equipment, and the present need to improvise custom made lower units to stock powerheads. Why not just race engines with the "service" lower units that come as part of the unit? The speeds would be less but perhaps competition might be keener. Maybe there would be more robust fields when people can compete with a truly out of the box engine that can be purchased at local dealers. And, what's wrong with either recoil or even electric start...is this not what "stock" really is, these days? There is ample accomodation for the specialized lower unit and high rpm flywheels in the pro and mod classes.

Some thought might also be given to the runabout hulls that are usd in stock. They really are no longer called utilites. That name was dropped years ago. Even though the term "runabout" is technically a flat bottom craft, the name infers some minimal amount of utility, which is really not there in today's versions. A Boston Whaler and other types of fishing or utility hulls competeing against one another might make for an interesting ride, particularly if this approach yields more competitors in a given class.

A recent exception to the comments above is the stock sport Cs popular in region 11. Even in this case, the engine is no longer for sale new in the US as a complete unit.

During the 60s, when "stock outboard" racing ceased living true to its name, a new breed of racing came along and was for a while, almost stock. It was then called 'outboard pleasure craft" but has since evolved into "outboard performance craft" and is even more specialized than stock outboard.

Today we see "stock" boat competitors with small fields at fewer and fewer races. They do have great speed and are beautiful specialized "runabouts" typically utilized on long, wide courses.

Perhaps a return to STOCK racing would be fun, easier on the older competitors and might also help revitalize our wonderful sport.
    Last edited by seacow; 12-16-2004, 01:10 PM. Reason: typo

before i got involved with apba late this summer i spent 3 years working with a old(built in 1948) 10' utility with a various 7.5 + thru 15 hp motors the majority of them with stock feet i had a blast but the fastest i got it going was less than 40 mph all on a small 1/3 mile course. i found that if i got it set up to be fast it was very touchy ( fast being relative to the equipment used) much harder to drive than the same boat and motor with a racing foot at the higher speeds that the top running foot and prop provide. of course this could be from my own stupidity on setting up boats and not anything to do with the equipment.
    but it seemed to me with the deeper running fishing foot wanted to trip u if u crossed a wake in the corner and the top running stuff seems to mostly just lose bite to me but then i am pretty much a complete novice but i am sure that it would make it much easyier to get into racing in the first place. maybe some prop people can tell us if they could build props that could give much greater top end than is currently avalible,given the limitations of thru hub exaust. Ron ? or someone else that understands what it takes to make wheels move boats fast

Comment

after rereading this i want to make something perfectly clear. when my brother and i actually showed up at the races the amount of help and support from every one was unbeilevable to us .i took this old clunker asr out in practice and got lapped by the j's!! this is made worse by the fact some of them were as big as me!! when i got back to the pits my brother was standing there with a prop that had allready been loaned to us. talking a bout making you feel welcome the only reason im not going to name names is i am sure i would leave someone out.
      so thanks everyone in region 7

Comment

like this ?

[IMG]C:\Do***ents and Settings\kevin\Desktop\onplane2.jpg[/IMG]

hmm didnt work sorry
        Last edited by kws; 12-20-2004, 06:28 PM.

Comment

you want a stock race , come to Augusta Arkansas we race homemade boats with no bigger than 15hp "fishing" motors we have a blast.
          I got the need for speed!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X