Brand recognition - Merc 25XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand recognition - Merc 25XS

At the race in Milton NH this past weekend we had a good showing of 25XS Mercs. They all got off the beach and they all ran darn good, with a couple minor exceptions.

What's really important in my view is the fact that spectators (perhaps some who might get interested in boat racing ) can identify with the engine. The engine has a cowling on it. It has a rewind. And, it goes like stink. And, it says MERCURY on the side. So they don't have to ask.... what the heck kind of engine is that? A novice can buy one and go race with it.

Talk of eliminating that class or engine is total nonsense. We need to do everything we can to get those engines out on the race course. Right now, Jeff Brewster has a couple which belonged to Steve Warnock.. those were good motors at a decent price. There are others out there as well. Go get em.... build yerself a boat and go have fun.

Just my 2 cents - Alex

bullseye

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
    At the race in Milton NH this past weekend we had a good showing of 25XS Mercs. They all got off the beach and they all ran darn good, with a couple minor exceptions.

What's really important in my view is the fact that spectators (perhaps some who might get interested in boat racing ) can identify with the engine. The engine has a cowling on it. It has a rewind. And, it goes like stink. And, it says MERCURY on the side. So they don't have to ask.... what the heck kind of engine is that? A novice can buy one and go race with it.

Talk of eliminating that class or engine is total nonsense. We need to do everything we can to get those engines out on the race course. Right now, Jeff Brewster has a couple which belonged to Steve Warnock.. those were good motors at a decent price. There are others out there as well. Go get em.... build yerself a boat and go have fun.

Just my 2 cents - Alex
    couldn't agree more. that's one of the big "cool factures" about the tohatsu... the other is it's bad fast....
    Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Right. Good point Alex. Now can someone from mercury slow down the flywheels so when you let off the throttle the motor speed doesnt keep going? Then crash....that was the biggest reason this class lost tread. Too fast on too small of boats with little speed drop when throttle let off. Not quite a beginners class that's for sure. I can tell you from experience....
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
        Right. Good point Alex. Now can someone from mercury slow down the flywheels so when you let off the throttle the motor speed doesnt keep going? Then crash....that was the biggest reason this class lost tread. Too fast on too small of boats with little speed drop when throttle let off. Not quite a beginners class that's for sure. I can tell you from experience....
        A few of us 25XS racers have found that if you relocate the throttle hook-up point on the bell-crank to where the spring attaches(closer to the shaft), it shortens the travel on dead-man throttle end............you only open yer hand about half as far as you need to with the original throttle hook-up location......hence it takes away that "Frieght-train" feel'n............I tried the 6lb "Light" flywheel just cause I found one.......and it did not help.......It's the travel in the throttle,You need a near full open hand before it backs off at the carb...........do a little study'n and you'll see........Or look at Brian Rossmans set-up sometime his cowl is off!

Take a look at pics in my post in this old thread...... https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12802
        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 06-16-2012, 05:14 AM.
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Just my 2 cents - Alex

Couldn't agree more. I had quite a few spectators interested, one was even looking to buy what was left of my 25ssr after the bottom blew apart. Not only was there a lot of interest but this was probably one of the most evenly matched class of the weekend with heats being swapped between three boats all weekend.
          Dave W. Young
          95-D
          "Roll it up or roll it back on the trailer"

Comment

Concept

Here is a unique concept for brand regonition... if you don't run cowls on your engine, put the cowl decals on your boat.....
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

"back off"? whats that?

Comment

about the 25 merc

this class is popular in Canada. I heard talk this past weekend in Gravenhurst that the throttle linkage was the reason that they apparently don't slow down promptly. I don't think the physics of spining mass against compression would support the flywheel theory. Also, watch for a canadian kid to arrive on the scene with a MODIFIED 25 merc that is doing CMod speed. I hope it is legal for something over here.

Comment

I still have one for sale as well!

Comment

huh? eliminate?

Just my 2 cents - Alex
                    Don't remember that ..... there was a movement to eliminate the yamato from the runabout class and let the Sidewinder run. But I don't remember eliminating this motor. Jeff B., the Vermont Crew and the Long Island crew have bolstered this class in the East. There are plenty of 3 boat classes to scale back before 25 is at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                      I don't think the physics of spining mass against compression would support the flywheel theory.
                      You would need to drive one with a green or red flwheel, the heaviest, then with the illegal white flywheel, the lightest, and you'd be a believer.

There's a reason Pro motors don't have much mass on their flywheels, it makes a big difference.

Comment

All I can say is this class somehow got a bad rap. You can get a new looking cowl, people know what it is, it's reliable/easy to maintain, rookieish drivers can run them safely, and it is an ultra fun class...

In my opinion, the yamato (yes I want one of those too) is ruling the day due to its versatility and the bigger fields of competition. The yamato is a great motor, particularily the 302... it makes sense, it super reliable, and can be used in multiple classes, more bang for the buck, a great family motor. I am currently a veteran driver who just stepped into 25 last year with a free ride (thank you Bill K.), and this weekend in Gravenhurst I ran against an air canada pilot with 20yrs racing experience, Rick Fralick with 35yrs? and a 17yr old kid. We had 3 different winners and tight racing, its a super fun class, and Will H (17yrs old) was holding it, driving well, and I couldn't pass him (I've been racing since 95).

I love the class, its fast, forget about the freight train... don't let off... seriously its predictable and thats what matters, we need more drivers....... all I can say from TORC, is bring it on in DUNNVILLE AUG 18-19: It's close to the US, and if you want to run 25, BRING THEM OUT. If I get enough names, I'll joint sanction. Email racingtorc@gmail.com I want to see 25's RUN!!!!

AND AS A NOTE: Rossman, I stopped letting off in the corners and held it 3 laps solid, bring it

Jordan, TORC prez.
                        Last edited by cottagecreep; 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
                          You would need to drive one with a green or red flwheel, the heaviest, then with the illegal white flywheel, the lightest, and you'd be a believer.

There's a reason Pro motors don't have much mass on their flywheels, it makes a big difference.
                          I had the "white/gray" flywheel.....No dif......It's the throttle......just change the pivot/hook-up point and it's solved.......... https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12802
                          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Canada is pretty close to Michigan

I love the interest in the class! We will be bringing 3 maybe 4 boats to Grass Lake. There is a lot of potential to have eliminations in 25ssh at the nationals this year as we did a few years back in Whirney Point. Are any of the Canadian boys (and girls) going to make it to Grass Lake?
                            Dave W. Young
                            95-D
                            "Roll it up or roll it back on the trailer"

Comment

Working...
                            X